Which panerai is best for newbie?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Which panerai is best for newbie?

hsuhaidi
New User
hsuhaidi
New User

May 3rd, 2012, 2:40 pm #1

Hi all, I live in NY. I want to buy Panerai for the first time. I can't decide between Pam 111, 112 and 312. Should I purchase it at the boutique or AD? Thanks for the input.

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 2:43 pm #2

you live in NY so you can go down to the boutique and most likely they will have all of them in stock and you can try each one on and decide. Good luck

adibabe
Paneristi
adibabe
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 2:46 pm #3

Hi all, I live in NY. I want to buy Panerai for the first time. I can't decide between Pam 111, 112 and 312. Should I purchase it at the boutique or AD? Thanks for the input.
312 for me it's got everything date manufacture movement seconds hand 1950s case. However size and weight isn't for everyone so in that case 111.

As for ad or boutique it depends where you live I have no local boutique but I do have an ad who I have a good relationship with

hsuhaidi
New User
hsuhaidi
New User

May 3rd, 2012, 2:51 pm #4

you live in NY so you can go down to the boutique and most likely they will have all of them in stock and you can try each one on and decide. Good luck

Thanks Kevin. How about 312? I did some research and found out that 312 has some issues. I like the 312 model but am afraid to buy one.

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 3:09 pm #5

Sandwich dial + base = awesomeness, plus you'll end up buying a base sooner or later anyways may as well just skip to the start

And buy from the boutique, Panerai is moving towards a "boutique only" sales model so anything you can do to establish a relationship with a boutique is a good thing. Enjoy!

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 3:24 pm #6

Thanks Kevin. How about 312? I did some research and found out that 312 has some issues. I like the 312 model but am afraid to buy one.
there have been thousands of 312's sold around the world with no problems but of course when someone does have an issue they make sure everyone knows about it. It is a new movement and has a few more complications being automatic with a date so in comparison to base ETA watches I'm sure there are a few more issues but it's still very rare from what I've heard. I know many people with a 312 and none of them have had issues.

I personally just feel that the 112, 111, 005 and 000 are the heart and soul of the brand and are better suited for a first pam.

meric2
Paneristi
meric2
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 3:27 pm #7

Good luck!

Cheers...

Michael

khiroshima
Paneristi
khiroshima
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 5:21 pm #8

Just like I always ask, what are your priorities?

With a vague question, you will only get answers of the watches that individuals have chosen for themselves . . . Helpful? Maybe not

Do you like the second hand? (I happen to, but who cares what I like)
Do you need/want a date?
Do you have a preference for manual or an auto?
Do you like/hate the sandwich dial?

OK, you get the picture. Then folks can help direct you for what YOU may like, not what we like, thanks and welcome! KH

r2buff
Paneristi
r2buff
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 5:22 pm #9

312 for me it's got everything date manufacture movement seconds hand 1950s case. However size and weight isn't for everyone so in that case 111.

As for ad or boutique it depends where you live I have no local boutique but I do have an ad who I have a good relationship with
I'd also vote for the 312 if you don't mind spending the extra cash - 1950 case + manufacture movement + date make it a great first Panerai and daily wearer. Just really depends on what you like. If you want to spend a little less, go with the 111

Base models look great, but for me I like having and watching the seconds hand tick away

Angelus8day
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 9:02 pm #10

Just like I always ask, what are your priorities?

With a vague question, you will only get answers of the watches that individuals have chosen for themselves . . . Helpful? Maybe not

Do you like the second hand? (I happen to, but who cares what I like)
Do you need/want a date?
Do you have a preference for manual or an auto?
Do you like/hate the sandwich dial?

OK, you get the picture. Then folks can help direct you for what YOU may like, not what we like, thanks and welcome! KH
totally agree, i would even add the budget parameter

chaswilbur
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 9:28 pm #11

If you don't own a manual wind watch, how do you know you'll like it?

The base models are unique and as many have said, somewhat of the true Iconic Panerai. However, if you've never had to wind a watch every other day, give it some serious thought. If you have doubts, take a look at a 104. Auto with date, yet has some of the same stark face appeal as the base models.

If you wear dress shirts a lot, think about a radiomir model as an option too.

I don't think there is a wrong choice for the most part, but some models are better suited for people than others..

Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!
Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!

JZ365
Paneristi
JZ365
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 9:29 pm #12

Sandwich dial + base = awesomeness, plus you'll end up buying a base sooner or later anyways may as well just skip to the start

And buy from the boutique, Panerai is moving towards a "boutique only" sales model so anything you can do to establish a relationship with a boutique is a good thing. Enjoy!

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 9:58 pm #13

In theory the 112 or 000 should have fewer maintenance concerns and less potential complications - because there are fewer complications. This means potentially lower cost of ownership than a more complex piece. Of course, what is expensive is subjective. I know from experience for example that my Breitling (a chrono, admittedly) ran about four bills every five years for a service. I specifically selected a 112 to attempt to avoid this. YMMV

zameenzahari
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 11:25 pm #14

You'll always go base ..do better save the trouble!!

Happy hunting!

zameenzahari
Paneristi

May 3rd, 2012, 11:27 pm #15

The base models are unique and as many have said, somewhat of the true Iconic Panerai. However, if you've never had to wind a watch every other day, give it some serious thought. If you have doubts, take a look at a 104. Auto with date, yet has some of the same stark face appeal as the base models.

I don't think there is a wrong choice for the most part, but some models are better suited for people than others..

Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

May 4th, 2012, 12:07 am #16

normally 111 will be a good start for a newbie

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

May 4th, 2012, 1:35 am #17

Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!
+1! :-)

TokyoSkier
Paneristi

May 4th, 2012, 1:41 am #18

there have been thousands of 312's sold around the world with no problems but of course when someone does have an issue they make sure everyone knows about it. It is a new movement and has a few more complications being automatic with a date so in comparison to base ETA watches I'm sure there are a few more issues but it's still very rare from what I've heard. I know many people with a 312 and none of them have had issues.

I personally just feel that the 112, 111, 005 and 000 are the heart and soul of the brand and are better suited for a first pam.

I have the older brother of the 312, the 320 and it has worked perfectly for the past few months. (Knock on wood!) If there are issues with the movement of the 312 - that is news to me.

And as others have mentioned earlier, are you ready for a manual? The 312 (320) has the three-day power reserve and has such great presence on the wrist, I wear mine everyday and never worry about having to wind it. Super low maintenance!

Having said this, I know I will get a base sooner than later as I have finally come to appreciate the historical aspects and simplicity the watch(es) has to offer. Like Michael says a 000 is a great place to start.

My two yen.

hsuhaidi
New User
hsuhaidi
New User

May 4th, 2012, 3:09 am #19

Charlie Wilbur
WAG MORE Bark Less!
All of my watches are automatic. I have Rolex green submariner, Daytona, Omega Seamaster, ORIS Centennial Set 1904 and Tag Monaco. I never have a manual watch before. I would like to try the manual one but I also like the 312 looks which is automatic. So far I manage to narrow it down to 111, 112 and 312. My budget is around 8K.

HammerHammer
Paneristi

May 4th, 2012, 3:20 am #20

So much MORE than just a Watch

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP

Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer