Week 6 Project Pocket Watch & the art of Black Polish >>>

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Week 6 Project Pocket Watch & the art of Black Polish >>>

ThunderDownUnder
Paneristi

July 15th, 2017, 2:34 am #1

Rebuild PW week 6

Project PW week 6 with a big shout out to all the Risti from the land upside down 🤷‍♀️🤦🏻‍♂️
</i>

Now I had a great M8 help make some GR8 suggestions as to how I could improve this portrayal of this project 💥

So of course I instantly disregarded it - ever since a GPS issue I'm wary 😒 of this bugger 🏊🏊🏃🏃🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

But I do hope that as we get into it the format (or lack of) I'm using will be easier to follow and towards the end (200+) images 🤦🏻‍♂️ I'll take a few images from each weeks post and combine in one all consuming post from start to finish - well that's the plan as time is tough now I'm finally up it's not emails I need to catch up on - well ok 👌 them too ♿️💥😜👋🏻
<i>
Now here we go :

Week 1 : Forming 2 facets on the only 2 flat topsides of the case to better direct 👀 to week 2 post >>>

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... 3B%26gt%3B

Week 2 : Completing the design and engraving for some black inlay - again the facets lead both ways >>>

Week 3 : Enter the Movement >>>

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... ire+thread

Week 4 : Tear Down >>>

Week 5 Clean and resemble check fit and function before the RM60 final Clean >>>

Week 6 >>>

Well we will deffo need these >>>

One more assembly to check all is working before the final strip (nooooo not that kind of strip kevin) and yes still working aside an escape wheel that was actually not correct to the mvt and pinion was too tall turns out the escape wheel bridge was bent up by hand slightly to accomodate the longer escape wheel pinion - now that was a problem this wheel must alight so Swiss perfectly for the pallet fork to work and the movement to be able to keep accurate time --- so out went the WTB Cortebert 620 escape wheel add's - no luck so ok still works let's fix that later -here are the parts all ready for the cleaning after the final (thank the lord - rebuild) the keyless works assembled which control the stem position to access winding and setting etcetera - >>>

Winding works out (but what's that brass thing ?) Black is the new Polish >>>

Anyone ? Anyone ? Bueller ? >>>

It's a super easy and friendly tool to FLAT polish a screw head - or movement component - add zinc to the emory or micron paper and micron paste - example the screw goes in the collet to hold it and you use a level to ensure it's perfect flat then with some emery paper and .25 micron diamond paste moving in circles of the number 8 gives a perfect flat polish - even if you use a micro motor same problem - a wheel is circular and as such can't give a perfectly flat finish - so this is a simple and easy tool to achieve a nice flat polish on a beaten up screw head >>>

Various stages of the strip down after I resembled for the 2nd last time to check fit , finish and function >>>

Or you use my FAV vintage tool - you place in a vice - screw goes into collet - and with diamond powder / paste you use one hand to spin the shaft with the collect and screw - and the other to turn the wheel - 3 wheels starting with one and slowly moving to the final lapping wheel the wood - so you have Tin - galvanised - zinc or other and wood - it takes hours to do just a few screws but this was the way the artisans did it and whilst it's a bitch to set up and takes so much longer - old world skills and tools mean so MUCH to me as we're loosing the true artisans in this world and that's a crying shame for me to see - old world charm wins for mine >>>

Spin the right wheel one way with one hand and with the other turn the shaft the other direction and slowly as you go the final finish can't be beat >>>

You can use a lathe belt to turn the collet holder but defeats the integrity of the purpose >>>

Most of the parts out >>>

Removing the keyless works - setting lever - setting screw - clutch lever - setting bridge - winding pinion - clutch - the setting lever seats in the stem and allows the setting stem to move the clutch and crown winding gear between winding and setting time >>>

We have also the detent spring - setting bridge gone - then the small gears - intermediate wheel & post - minute wheel & post - hour wheel & post - cannon pinion - still with the setting lever - detent spring - set lever screw and set lever etcetera >>>

Well here it all is and lord help me to remember how to put it all back without the left over parts I have when I buy from IKEA >>>

Bit more >>>

Quite clear the balance pinion & hairspring is effing stuffed >>>

Time to bring in the new replacement parts >>>

What the ? What am I up too on the top side of main plate 💭 >>>

Something is starting to look 👀 different ? >>>

After some hand cleaning and manual work we add some .05 micron paste >>>

Mainspring Barrel , pallet fork bridge and Top Plate is getting some attention >>>

All paper - paste and dust - no Fru Fru NOT that kind of dust u freak >>>

Taking shape at .5 micron >>>

Might as well add the Mainspring barrel too >>>

Getting there >>>

Mirror mirror on the wall who is the shiniest of them all .25 micron >>>

Damn I can see my reflection 🤦🏻‍♂️😱😱😱>>>

FINALLY TIME FOR THE RM60 TO WORK ITS MAGIC BOOYAA >>>

The RM60 is a final finish and clean machine it's a circular carousel that picks up with stacked trays and moves it through @5-7 fluids that each do a different thing and they use agitation to work rather than say ultra sonic's which can badly remove various coatings and finish >>>

Takes around 20-25 minutes for the cycle >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Starting the FINAL 🙏🏻 Reassemble >>>

Timegrapher to regulate the watch - the first read out gives seconds fast or slow - 2nd is amp and 3rd is beat error - so that when the tick and tick is not or is in equal separation - so not so good here seconds rate in that 1 position is good but beat error is bad - hard to explain but will try to in next post >>>

Same again whilst 0 in the seconds +- is GR8 - 9.9 beat error is as bad as Kia after a bikini Brazilian wax >>>

Not too bad a test now I guess (new mainspring has plenty of amplitude TFS >>>

Wait a minute ? What's this ? >>>

Not what your thinking (that's also what she said) >>>

Now we're getting ready to marry the movement and case I've noticed the case pendent has a tun of slack - >>>

Should sit FLAT - going to have to sort this >>>

See anything interesting ?? >>>

The route to take to make the pendant sit flat on the case (it's been yanked on a fob chain for what could have been a very very LONG TIme - after all it's vintage vintage - the goal was to place a streaking tool to splay the inner posts out or wider that would bring the pendent back into flat position >>>

Fixed as you will see in the final post next week 👌

Now before it all we had this >>>

And I've decided against this blued look 👀 perhaps a bit too much going on still a KOOL look but >>>

Kinda looking a bit like this now >>>

Black Polish ? What is it ?

Well there is an old world artisan 👩🎨 method to highly polish a component so that when you angle one way you see perfect shine and angle a few degrees the other way and you see the component as Black - black polishing well it's hard work to do it bang on and allot of practise but worth it - this is the sort of finishing the big haute brands do on movements not the blunder down under - anyway when I'm finally done I'll clean this aspect up a bit more so you can really see but hope this gives an idea - shine on the crown wheel outer and on the ratchet wheel >>>

Angle up or down BLACK >>>

The parts I black polished are the ratchet wheel and the outer crown wheel 👍🏻

Ok the FINAL part is too marry the movement and ? Case see week 1 - then ? Select the dial and hands or ? Leave her naked ?

That's where I need your help - next post will show the marriage and the possible dial options - and I'd beg for you all to vote on your fav choice - what you think is the best to go with ? This I can't wait to hear as I have some pretty KOOL options - been a long road and oh btw I finally found. 620R escape wheel corona style - so the escape bridge is now at 90 degrees and perfectly flat with the wheel is happy as Larry - which is what I will be when I'm done - well - I have another Panerai vintage project to follow and this one is a very early very rare 3646 pre 1940 - in this I will delve into much more detail - like the balance cock , end stone , regulator arm - balance & pinion - as all of those are well rooted - dunno if anyone is at all interested in this stuff but it's where I go to put my mind in a better place when life family and the disability get too much or I can't sleep 😴 I just love working with my hands and happiest at the bench - my nirvana (till I bugger something up anyway) 😱😱 happens too often on such precision instruments 🎸

That's all for now but please wait on the final post as I truly need and will allow the community to vote on what next - some pretty KOOL options - your vote will make the decision on the dial of style and on topic 🙏🏻👍🏻

Some small teasers >>>

So many more options to come 🤷‍♀️

And remember no animals were injured during this project and as a hobbyist I'm trying my best - I only wish I had a 1/100th of archers skills then I could really be happy - oh and some of his tools also feel free brother if you want to send any of your old tools down under would be a great resting place I really need to get some better diagnostic tools and oh - a dry tester machine - heck I'll even take his old screw blades and reshape - well a Wally in a Wheelchair can't be fussy you learn to take anything you can get 🤗🤗

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

sdumperth
Paneristi

July 15th, 2017, 3:11 am #2

I mean, wow!!!!!

We will see how this plays out.

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

July 15th, 2017, 3:29 am #3

Rebuild PW week 6

Project PW week 6 with a big shout out to all the Risti from the land upside down 🤷‍♀️🤦🏻‍♂️
</i>

Now I had a great M8 help make some GR8 suggestions as to how I could improve this portrayal of this project 💥

So of course I instantly disregarded it - ever since a GPS issue I'm wary 😒 of this bugger 🏊🏊🏃🏃🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

But I do hope that as we get into it the format (or lack of) I'm using will be easier to follow and towards the end (200+) images 🤦🏻‍♂️ I'll take a few images from each weeks post and combine in one all consuming post from start to finish - well that's the plan as time is tough now I'm finally up it's not emails I need to catch up on - well ok 👌 them too ♿️💥😜👋🏻
<i>
Now here we go :

Week 1 : Forming 2 facets on the only 2 flat topsides of the case to better direct 👀 to week 2 post >>>

Week 2 : Completing the design and engraving for some black inlay - again the facets lead both ways >>>

Week 5 Clean and resemble check fit and function before the RM60 final Clean >>>

Week 6 >>>

One more assembly to check all is working before the final strip (nooooo not that kind of strip kevin) and yes still working aside an escape wheel that was actually not correct to the mvt and pinion was too tall turns out the escape wheel bridge was bent up by hand slightly to accomodate the longer escape wheel pinion - now that was a problem this wheel must alight so Swiss perfectly for the pallet fork to work and the movement to be able to keep accurate time --- so out went the WTB Cortebert 620 escape wheel add's - no luck so ok still works let's fix that later -here are the parts all ready for the cleaning after the final (thank the lord - rebuild) the keyless works assembled which control the stem position to access winding and setting etcetera - >>>

It's a super easy and friendly tool to FLAT polish a screw head - or movement component - add zinc to the emory or micron paper and micron paste - example the screw goes in the collet to hold it and you use a level to ensure it's perfect flat then with some emery paper and .25 micron diamond paste moving in circles of the number 8 gives a perfect flat polish - even if you use a micro motor same problem - a wheel is circular and as such can't give a perfectly flat finish - so this is a simple and easy tool to achieve a nice flat polish on a beaten up screw head >>>

Various stages of the strip down after I resembled for the 2nd last time to check fit , finish and function >>>

Or you use my FAV vintage tool - you place in a vice - screw goes into collet - and with diamond powder / paste you use one hand to spin the shaft with the collect and screw - and the other to turn the wheel - 3 wheels starting with one and slowly moving to the final lapping wheel the wood - so you have Tin - galvanised - zinc or other and wood - it takes hours to do just a few screws but this was the way the artisans did it and whilst it's a bitch to set up and takes so much longer - old world skills and tools mean so MUCH to me as we're loosing the true artisans in this world and that's a crying shame for me to see - old world charm wins for mine >>>

Spin the right wheel one way with one hand and with the other turn the shaft the other direction and slowly as you go the final finish can't be beat >>>

You can use a lathe belt to turn the collet holder but defeats the integrity of the purpose >>>

Removing the keyless works - setting lever - setting screw - clutch lever - setting bridge - winding pinion - clutch - the setting lever seats in the stem and allows the setting stem to move the clutch and crown winding gear between winding and setting time >>>

We have also the detent spring - setting bridge gone - then the small gears - intermediate wheel & post - minute wheel & post - hour wheel & post - cannon pinion - still with the setting lever - detent spring - set lever screw and set lever etcetera >>>

Well here it all is and lord help me to remember how to put it all back without the left over parts I have when I buy from IKEA >>>

Bit more >>>

Mainspring Barrel , pallet fork bridge and Top Plate is getting some attention >>>

Getting there >>>

The RM60 is a final finish and clean machine it's a circular carousel that picks up with stacked trays and moves it through @5-7 fluids that each do a different thing and they use agitation to work rather than say ultra sonic's which can badly remove various coatings and finish >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Timegrapher to regulate the watch - the first read out gives seconds fast or slow - 2nd is amp and 3rd is beat error - so that when the tick and tick is not or is in equal separation - so not so good here seconds rate in that 1 position is good but beat error is bad - hard to explain but will try to in next post >>>

Same again whilst 0 in the seconds +- is GR8 - 9.9 beat error is as bad as Kia after a bikini Brazilian wax >>>

Now we're getting ready to marry the movement and case I've noticed the case pendent has a tun of slack - >>>

The route to take to make the pendant sit flat on the case (it's been yanked on a fob chain for what could have been a very very LONG TIme - after all it's vintage vintage - the goal was to place a streaking tool to splay the inner posts out or wider that would bring the pendent back into flat position >>>

And I've decided against this blued look 👀 perhaps a bit too much going on still a KOOL look but >>>

Well there is an old world artisan 👩🎨 method to highly polish a component so that when you angle one way you see perfect shine and angle a few degrees the other way and you see the component as Black - black polishing well it's hard work to do it bang on and allot of practise but worth it - this is the sort of finishing the big haute brands do on movements not the blunder down under - anyway when I'm finally done I'll clean this aspect up a bit more so you can really see but hope this gives an idea - shine on the crown wheel outer and on the ratchet wheel >>>

Ok the FINAL part is too marry the movement and ? Case see week 1 - then ? Select the dial and hands or ? Leave her naked ?

That's where I need your help - next post will show the marriage and the possible dial options - and I'd beg for you all to vote on your fav choice - what you think is the best to go with ? This I can't wait to hear as I have some pretty KOOL options - been a long road and oh btw I finally found. 620R escape wheel corona style - so the escape bridge is now at 90 degrees and perfectly flat with the wheel is happy as Larry - which is what I will be when I'm done - well - I have another Panerai vintage project to follow and this one is a very early very rare 3646 pre 1940 - in this I will delve into much more detail - like the balance cock , end stone , regulator arm - balance & pinion - as all of those are well rooted - dunno if anyone is at all interested in this stuff but it's where I go to put my mind in a better place when life family and the disability get too much or I can't sleep 😴 I just love working with my hands and happiest at the bench - my nirvana (till I bugger something up anyway) 😱😱 happens too often on such precision instruments 🎸

That's all for now but please wait on the final post as I truly need and will allow the community to vote on what next - some pretty KOOL options - your vote will make the decision on the dial of style and on topic 🙏🏻👍🏻

Some small teasers >>>

And remember no animals were injured during this project and as a hobbyist I'm trying my best - I only wish I had a 1/100th of archers skills then I could really be happy - oh and some of his tools also feel free brother if you want to send any of your old tools down under would be a great resting place I really need to get some better diagnostic tools and oh - a dry tester machine - heck I'll even take his old screw blades and reshape - well a Wally in a Wheelchair can't be fussy you learn to take anything you can get 🤗🤗

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

Can't wait!
Mike C, 312 NYC

FLS2K
Paneristi
FLS2K
Paneristi

July 15th, 2017, 4:05 am #4

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

That's all way above my pay grade. 😃👍🏻
FLS2K is Beef
Beef is FLS2K

goldie_1
Paneristi
goldie_1
Paneristi

July 15th, 2017, 4:20 am #5

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

Wow! The plot thickens! Great stuff always Alan! nt

BIGPOCKETS
Paneristi
BIGPOCKETS
Paneristi

July 15th, 2017, 8:27 am #6

I mean, wow!!!!!

We will see how this plays out.
...that's amazing!!!
I'm glad the artistry of watch making/restoration is alive in you H.
(You could've made some mini-dimm-sims & cooked them in those wire baskets
Thx for the photos mate.
BP

Chrisfrombyron
Paneristi

July 16th, 2017, 2:20 am #7

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

I'm coming up to see it soon -

Regards .

DesmoFan
Paneristi
DesmoFan
Paneristi

July 16th, 2017, 2:21 am #8

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

Can't imagine how long it takes to actually do, let alone take all the photos and post in such detail.

Epic contributions, keep up the great work M8.

Jpvfx
Paneristi
Jpvfx
Paneristi

July 16th, 2017, 2:35 am #9

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

avibarua
Paneristi
avibarua
Paneristi

July 16th, 2017, 12:35 pm #10

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

Is that a bronze or gold engraved dial? It looks sweet!!! More. I want more !!!!!

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

July 16th, 2017, 11:43 pm #11

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

Love the passion for this craft. So. I have love and attention to detail....thx for sharing.

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

July 17th, 2017, 2:03 pm #12

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

djyik

hongT
Paneristi
hongT
Paneristi

July 18th, 2017, 3:30 am #13

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

Love your work.. especially the engraving

Adeeos
Paneristi
Adeeos
Paneristi

July 19th, 2017, 3:13 am #14

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

Just glad I could hepabothaout

mike2zero
Paneristi

July 20th, 2017, 3:14 pm #15

Rebuild PW week 6

</i>

<i>
Now here we go :

Week 6 >>>

Bit more >>>

Getting there >>>

Ohhhhhh Yeah >>>

Some small teasers >>>

HAGWE Mates 🇦🇺❤️♿️😄👍🏻

niiiiiiiiiice....