Unscrew Push-Piece on a 580 Flyback?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Unscrew Push-Piece on a 580 Flyback?

April 15th, 2017, 11:18 pm #1

Is Panerai just being lazy with their directions and reusing the same materials they use for the dive watches?

Was looking at the directions for my 580 and it says repeatedly in the manual to unscrew the push pieces to use the chrono feature.

On the 580, as far as I can tell, they are simple "just press it" buttons. I've seen the dive watches that have a chrono with large threaded push pieces.

Did Panerai mix up the directions or am I actually supposed to unscrew something on the 580?

Thanks!

April 16th, 2017, 12:31 am #2

They just used the directions of the 614 (or similar) to save a few $.

Wouldn't worry about it, enjoy.

April 16th, 2017, 12:52 am #3

Is Panerai just being lazy with their directions and reusing the same materials they use for the dive watches?

Was looking at the directions for my 580 and it says repeatedly in the manual to unscrew the push pieces to use the chrono feature.

On the 580, as far as I can tell, they are simple "just press it" buttons. I've seen the dive watches that have a chrono with large threaded push pieces.

Did Panerai mix up the directions or am I actually supposed to unscrew something on the 580?

Thanks!
I agree with Desmo, I think a lot of companies do that with their instruction manuals. I've seen it in a bunch of watches I've bought over the years, generic directions. Enjoy the watch, it's a sweet watch

April 16th, 2017, 7:00 pm #4

I have no intention of diving with this watch... Curious though.

I assume it would be a really bad idea to depress these buttons while submerged if there is a screw down version of the press buttons on the dive models. My logic would say that you shouldn't do it on those either based on having to unscrew them to operate the chrono.

Something tells me they aren't designed to keep water out if you start pressing them while under water.

Thoughts?

April 16th, 2017, 7:05 pm #5

Always wondered the same thing with respect to how the case can be water proof to begin with. If you look around the pushers of those models with chronograph features and no screw down style pushers, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me how the case is still water resistant.

April 16th, 2017, 8:19 pm #6

On the crown stems of water resistant watches whose crowns are not screw down.

But as was mentioned, you would expect the water resistance to be less effective than a watch that uses a screw down or other device to supply pressure against the seals.

April 18th, 2017, 2:02 pm #7

This watch, if I'm not mistaken, has the p9100 automatic movement.

It keeps really good time. Like within a couple seconds per day. Been checking it against the official time atomic clock and this watch is surprisingly accurate.

I do occasionally let it die from lack of use. Goes the full the 3 days though before it quits. Impressive.

When I start my rolex sub after sitting a long time, I typically give it around 35-40 turns to get it going and then wear it regularly. Keeps great time.

I've been doing the same for this PAM580. If it's dead, then 35 to 40 turns to get it started, and then wear/enjoy. As I said, it's keeping great time.

Dumb questions I know... I've had a couple pam's in the past, but it's been years. Finally coming back to the brand. Loving the watch. Thanks for your patience.

Does 35-40 turns sound about right to get an automatic panerai going and fully "charged"?

You can't overwind an automatic panerai, right?