The more things change....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

The more things change....

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 5:11 am #1

the more they stay the same....

the post below is from the better part of 5 years ago....

funny, it sounds like some of the same conversations I've seen and heard in the last few years...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/m ... his+forum-

IMO cliffy nailed it then, and the same goes now....

"The faces have changed, but its always been about the people, what they did with their lives, with a dash history and satire."

I'm still proud to be part of this community, and I'm happy to see the changes and evolutions in the brand, the collectors, the community and the people!

I know for a fact there's haters out there waiting to pounce on this and anything else I post and talk their usual childish trash, but you know what?

Stay strong paneristi.com!

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Gu5h
Paneristi
Gu5h
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 6:26 am #2

the content is user driven... its a forum - the people control the conversation.

Your link proves that Micah - same back then as I hear now, and agreed nothing changes.

Richard made a great post about his concerns regards the pig torpedo featuring on watches a few days back and I saw lots of very knowledgeable Ristis - new and old answer. It was a hot topic which could have descended into argument but no, it was asked respectfully and answered the same way. I love that and I learnt a lot (as I have done for years on this forum).

Point is - if people want more OT posts then post them - if you want more watch discussion then start a thread... its that simple.

Its easier to hate than to create content for the betterment of the community.

Got no time for haters - life is too short, Id rather spend time with people I care about - P-Day 11 anyone : )))

GUSH

LarsDenmark
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 6:47 am #3

There's watches, and there's time-telling devices. Wether you notice the difference is a question of passion!

Best Regards,
Lars

Farbod007
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 7:03 am #4

the content is user driven... its a forum - the people control the conversation.

Your link proves that Micah - same back then as I hear now, and agreed nothing changes.

Richard made a great post about his concerns regards the pig torpedo featuring on watches a few days back and I saw lots of very knowledgeable Ristis - new and old answer. It was a hot topic which could have descended into argument but no, it was asked respectfully and answered the same way. I love that and I learnt a lot (as I have done for years on this forum).

Point is - if people want more OT posts then post them - if you want more watch discussion then start a thread... its that simple.

Got no time for haters - life is too short, Id rather spend time with people I care about - P-Day 11 anyone : )))

GUSH

TRISTAN29
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 8:25 am #5

GUSH
U said it correctly. We got not time for haters.

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 9:52 am #6

GUSH
One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.
- Bertrand Russell

Night View DUOMO Firenze

Last edited by FrankV1 on August 29th, 2012, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gregesq
Paneristi
Gregesq
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 11:54 am #7

funny, it sounds like some of the same conversations I've seen and heard in the last few years...

"The faces have changed, but its always been about the people, what they did with their lives, with a dash history and satire."

I'm still proud to be part of this community, and I'm happy to see the changes and evolutions in the brand, the collectors, the community and the people!

I know for a fact there's haters out there waiting to pounce on this and anything else I post and talk their usual childish trash, but you know what?

Here, whether or not you are posting about PAMs or posting about enjoying LIFE while wearing PAMs, or just reading those posts, you can interact with people from all areas of the world, rich and poor. People with hobbies that range from sports to racing to, yes, shooting. And let's not forget the amazing travelogues and displays of photographic skill.

Let's also remember that any ahole can throw a rock. The people who comment about how superior or serious they are, how trite others' posts are, are usually internet tough guys who have nothing of substance to add and who would never say such crap to your face. I read the responses to the post in 2007. I had to laugh because the "Anonymous" poster must have thought the OG Ristis would rally behind him. Oops.

Let's get real, P.com would not be the site it is if everyone debated how many microns thick the crystal is on a E series PAM XXX all day long. How long would it take to kill a wood chuck with the tritium paint scraped off the 6 of a PAM 9A? Some of those posts are fascinating too. But sometimes one wonders what to do with that information once it is ascertained. In any event, those folks interested in chemistry, physics, and history all have something they can gain from the amazing collective knowledge found here, even if they have to slog through another 372 post to get there.

I really enjoy reading everyone's contributions. I skip the posts that I find uninteresting. And I go on with my life. Whether or not there are OT posts about cars, or posts about the metallurgical properties of the stainless steel in the C series at different altitudes I am sure Network 54 has room at the table.

Have a nice day.

VolkerWiegmann
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 12:43 pm #8

GUSH
"Its easier to hate than to create content for the betterment of the community."

True.

See you soon,
Volker

representin' the DNA of Panerai

slf_one
Paneristi
slf_one
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 1:19 pm #9

GUSH
You nailed it Gush! :)

LUCCHAO
Paneristi
LUCCHAO
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 1:42 pm #10

litlle further to say

anyway, IMO loving watches is part of a broader attitude -- is also loving to share experiences, models, life style, and sometimes problems and questions

because beyond watches are people wearing them, and watches are just an accessory, part of equation -- eveyone that makes the watch possession the sole purpose of collecting them would become unhappy -- there will be always new and better models, or the vintages ones you cannot find or acquire, or whatever that eventually makes you never happy with your owns

last, this forum is like a crowd , with people sharing similar tastes as yours, but also the opposite -- as long all of them respect each other, that's just fine...

best

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:12 pm #11

GUSH
I was very interested in Richard's comments as I had pondered the history and meaning of the Pig. A thouGhtful conversation is certainly possible here as well as having fun.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

Mr_Fugazy
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:21 pm #12

I've been here long enough to see the ebbs and flows, up and downs of the forum. Many of the so-called old timers don't drop in as often as they used to, but I think some of that is the effect of forum-fatigue . . . after you've seen the 39th post asking about the difference between tritium and luminova, or what the D means in a serial number, you lose interest. It's hard to remember that we ALL went through the same learning curve, and if it hadn't been for the kind advice of Paneristi regulars (old timers and new timers), we'd still be wondering what PAM meant.

Every now and then we need a butt kick (thanks Micah, I needed that), to remind us that eventually we have to give back after having taken for so long.

Kirk

shmeedr
Paneristi
shmeedr
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:29 pm #13

There are alot of watch forums out there, good and bad. I've been a part of other forums for a long time (mostly Rolex) but only "discovered" this one a couple of years ago. This forum kind of reminds me of what happened to me years ago and I think some of the guys that have been Ristis' for 10+ years may feel this way:

I saw a rock band in a very small venue about 24 years ago. The band blew me away, as they became more and more popular, I got upset that this wasn't a well kept secret anymore. They started to sell out arenas and I thought' "well I can't be a fan anymore, because they've become mainstream". Was their music all of a sudden bad because of their popularity? No. I realized that although I was surrounded by thousands of fans, the "music" was still awesome and I just had more "friends" to share it with.

You see guy's, some of us may have been late to the concert and didn't catch the opening act, but we're all at the same show. And the music's still awesome.

My favorite thing about this forum: When somebody buy's their first Panerai and asks an obvious "newbie" question and one of the longtime guy's, Hammer, J-F, Micah etc, give the guy a straight answer and don't dress the guy or girl down in front of the crowd. Really cool people on here.

BTW, the band was Guns & Roses

Shmeedr

My Grails.

Ba Ba Booey.

Kevin Schmieder

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:33 pm #14

GUSH

GatsbyTheRat
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:36 pm #15

Wonder how people can afford the time to create so much drama here and anywhere else for that matter. Must be sheer lunacy, boredom, or overly stressed :/

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:42 pm #16

Here, whether or not you are posting about PAMs or posting about enjoying LIFE while wearing PAMs, or just reading those posts, you can interact with people from all areas of the world, rich and poor. People with hobbies that range from sports to racing to, yes, shooting. And let's not forget the amazing travelogues and displays of photographic skill.

Let's also remember that any ahole can throw a rock. The people who comment about how superior or serious they are, how trite others' posts are, are usually internet tough guys who have nothing of substance to add and who would never say such crap to your face. I read the responses to the post in 2007. I had to laugh because the "Anonymous" poster must have thought the OG Ristis would rally behind him. Oops.

Let's get real, P.com would not be the site it is if everyone debated how many microns thick the crystal is on a E series PAM XXX all day long. How long would it take to kill a wood chuck with the tritium paint scraped off the 6 of a PAM 9A? Some of those posts are fascinating too. But sometimes one wonders what to do with that information once it is ascertained. In any event, those folks interested in chemistry, physics, and history all have something they can gain from the amazing collective knowledge found here, even if they have to slog through another 372 post to get there.

I really enjoy reading everyone's contributions. I skip the posts that I find uninteresting. And I go on with my life. Whether or not there are OT posts about cars, or posts about the metallurgical properties of the stainless steel in the C series at different altitudes I am sure Network 54 has room at the table.

Have a nice day.

"P.com would not be the site it is if everyone debated how many microns thick the crystal is on a E series PAM XXX all day long. "

Exactly. The watch stuff is the core of the site of course, but we can't expect the site to be nothing but hardcore watch geekery, eventually everyone would leave. The human interest is what keeps many around, because that always changes and evolves.

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:42 pm #17

litlle further to say

anyway, IMO loving watches is part of a broader attitude -- is also loving to share experiences, models, life style, and sometimes problems and questions

because beyond watches are people wearing them, and watches are just an accessory, part of equation -- eveyone that makes the watch possession the sole purpose of collecting them would become unhappy -- there will be always new and better models, or the vintages ones you cannot find or acquire, or whatever that eventually makes you never happy with your owns

last, this forum is like a crowd , with people sharing similar tastes as yours, but also the opposite -- as long all of them respect each other, that's just fine...

best
A crowd morphs and changes too... that's part of what makes it fun (sometimes) to be in a crowd... new stuff!

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:45 pm #18

I've been here long enough to see the ebbs and flows, up and downs of the forum. Many of the so-called old timers don't drop in as often as they used to, but I think some of that is the effect of forum-fatigue . . . after you've seen the 39th post asking about the difference between tritium and luminova, or what the D means in a serial number, you lose interest. It's hard to remember that we ALL went through the same learning curve, and if it hadn't been for the kind advice of Paneristi regulars (old timers and new timers), we'd still be wondering what PAM meant.

Every now and then we need a butt kick (thanks Micah, I needed that), to remind us that eventually we have to give back after having taken for so long.

Kirk
It is tough to answer the same dozen or so questions over and over, sometimes it gets hard to even see them over and over LOL

My post was sort of self-directed... I haven't been posting as much as I used to, because of the same things as many people... forum fatigue, changing faces, and frankly just that a lot of the names I used to recognize, names of people I knew in real life, aren't posting quite as much these days.

But then I thought to myself "How did I get to know those people in the first place? I was active."

So I'm trying to get back in a little more too. Frankly I have more fun when I post more and I've been missing that!

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:47 pm #19

There are alot of watch forums out there, good and bad. I've been a part of other forums for a long time (mostly Rolex) but only "discovered" this one a couple of years ago. This forum kind of reminds me of what happened to me years ago and I think some of the guys that have been Ristis' for 10+ years may feel this way:

I saw a rock band in a very small venue about 24 years ago. The band blew me away, as they became more and more popular, I got upset that this wasn't a well kept secret anymore. They started to sell out arenas and I thought' "well I can't be a fan anymore, because they've become mainstream". Was their music all of a sudden bad because of their popularity? No. I realized that although I was surrounded by thousands of fans, the "music" was still awesome and I just had more "friends" to share it with.

You see guy's, some of us may have been late to the concert and didn't catch the opening act, but we're all at the same show. And the music's still awesome.

My favorite thing about this forum: When somebody buy's their first Panerai and asks an obvious "newbie" question and one of the longtime guy's, Hammer, J-F, Micah etc, give the guy a straight answer and don't dress the guy or girl down in front of the crowd. Really cool people on here.

BTW, the band was Guns & Roses

Shmeedr

My Grails.

Ba Ba Booey.

Kevin Schmieder

"Oh, I used to like XYZ but then they sold out..."

That or more people than just you and your buddies recognized how great they are

People fear change, I know I do a lot of the time. When something is working you hate to see it become different. But that's life!

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

August 29th, 2012, 3:48 pm #20

Wonder how people can afford the time to create so much drama here and anywhere else for that matter. Must be sheer lunacy, boredom, or overly stressed :/

But enough is enough, and I don't want to let the trolls win.