*** SIHH 2012: SIHH Live Report, part 3

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

*** SIHH 2012: SIHH Live Report, part 3

January 16th, 2012, 1:50 pm #1

I'm going to call this Part 3, since Gush just posted some of his observations.

Just returned from lunch with some Panerai people. I asked them, how is the brand defined by the new collection. The answer was very simple: "Identity and Technology". They know their greatest strength is their history. If you think about it, how many watch brands could be identified if no logo was present on the dial? Not many.

I think we all believe that the current watches are contemporary and fit with today's taste. But, we forget that many of these watches were originally developed in the 1940's. It goes to show how timeless the design was that even a watch developed 70 years ago is as contemporary today, as it likely was in 1943.

As I mentioned, another theme I am coming away with this year is the emphasis on movements and movement finishing. We're seeing some new models featuring the Minerva movement, including the 398 and 399. As we saw previously on the PAM309 and PAM322, the detail and level of finishing on this movement is beautiful.

Another stunning movement is found on the PAM395, 8-days red gold Radiomir ("GMT Rosso"). Here, by skeletonizing the p2002 movement transforms the watch. I almost would want to wear this watch back-side up to show off the mechanicals.

Another beauty, although a pricey one, is the enhanced tourbillon movement found in the ceramica PAM396. Here, by using a new PVD method they are able to again coat the movement and also add additional enhancements of gold accents. Lovely.

I did ask what's different about this coating vs. the one used on the 317. They didn't have any details but seemed confident that this process would not pose any issues for them in production. (maybe we'll see the 317 move to this style?)

Lastly, we see the engine found on the PAM438 "Tuttonero" GMT ceramica w/bracelet. Based on the p9001, this also feature movement coating and also some gold engraving that really make it stand out.

So, new models aside, I think for you movement freaks out there, there's definitely something to be excited about with the 2012 collection.

January 16th, 2012, 2:07 pm #2

some wonderful watches! I really love the movement shots!

January 16th, 2012, 2:10 pm #3

Just returned from lunch with some Panerai people. I asked them, how is the brand defined by the new collection. The answer was very simple: "Identity and Technology". They know their greatest strength is their history. If you think about it, how many watch brands could be identified if no logo was present on the dial? Not many.

I think we all believe that the current watches are contemporary and fit with today's taste. But, we forget that many of these watches were originally developed in the 1940's. It goes to show how timeless the design was that even a watch developed 70 years ago is as contemporary today, as it likely was in 1943.

As I mentioned, another theme I am coming away with this year is the emphasis on movements and movement finishing. We're seeing some new models featuring the Minerva movement, including the 398 and 399. As we saw previously on the PAM309 and PAM322, the detail and level of finishing on this movement is beautiful.

Another stunning movement is found on the PAM395, 8-days red gold Radiomir ("GMT Rosso"). Here, by skeletonizing the p2002 movement transforms the watch. I almost would want to wear this watch back-side up to show off the mechanicals.

Another beauty, although a pricey one, is the enhanced tourbillon movement found in the ceramica PAM396. Here, by using a new PVD method they are able to again coat the movement and also add additional enhancements of gold accents. Lovely.

I did ask what's different about this coating vs. the one used on the 317. They didn't have any details but seemed confident that this process would not pose any issues for them in production. (maybe we'll see the 317 move to this style?)

Lastly, we see the engine found on the PAM438 "Tuttonero" GMT ceramica w/bracelet. Based on the p9001, this also feature movement coating and also some gold engraving that really make it stand out.

So, new models aside, I think for you movement freaks out there, there's definitely something to be excited about with the 2012 collection.

Thanks! Looks great! (nt)

January 16th, 2012, 2:21 pm #4

Anders, Stockholm Sweden.
PAM 212 J
Sjöö-Sandström Racing Chronograph

January 16th, 2012, 2:24 pm #5

Movement freak here. Thanks for sharing

-Jay in Northern NJ

January 16th, 2012, 2:52 pm #6

Is off the charts!

January 16th, 2012, 8:11 pm #7

I noticed in the press shot, the 438 movement is smooth with white lettering, looks gorgeous.

The pic above of the watch at SIHH shows a rougher texture with gold lettering, also very nice although my personal taste leans more towards the smooth/white.

Any word on how it will look in production?

Thanks, and thanks for all the pics and reporting, you guys are awesome!

-- Gordie