Pam24Q quick release button

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Pam24Q quick release button

BobbyNYC
Paneristi
BobbyNYC
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 12:25 am #1

Good evening everyone, I've been a member here for quite a while but haven't posted in many years. I have a Pam24 Q series that I purchased second hand recently. It has the quick release push button system for the straps. Tonight while changing out a strap the little retainer ring popped out during the strap change. The warranty card is dated 7/13/2015 which is past the two year mark.

I plan on heading to the boutique tomorrow and see what they say about fixing this issue. I've searched on the forum already and some say they had the same issue and panerai said that the watch needs to be decades. I'm hoping this can be a easy fix.

Anyone have anymore insight?

Many thanks!
Bobby

ferry.monne
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 10:06 am #2

Sorry to hear you have a problem with your PAM24!

I did read before that incase the quake release button is coming out the case needs to be replaced, I do not want to scare you be assured.

I look forward to your update after your visit to the Boutique.

Adeeos
Paneristi
Adeeos
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 2:33 pm #3

Good evening everyone, I've been a member here for quite a while but haven't posted in many years. I have a Pam24 Q series that I purchased second hand recently. It has the quick release push button system for the straps. Tonight while changing out a strap the little retainer ring popped out during the strap change. The warranty card is dated 7/13/2015 which is past the two year mark.

I plan on heading to the boutique tomorrow and see what they say about fixing this issue. I've searched on the forum already and some say they had the same issue and panerai said that the watch needs to be decades. I'm hoping this can be a easy fix.

Many thanks!
Bobby
If you have all the parts, the round retaining ring, take it to a jeweler with a laser welder,, they and press the retaining ring abck into it's recess, and add a couple of TINY little tack welds with a laser, to retain it... problem solved,,,

paulee53
Paneristi
paulee53
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 3:09 pm #4

Many thanks!
Bobby
as I also own a Pam 24. Mine is a slightly newer S version and so far I have had no trouble with strap changes although I always get a bit nervous when I do them. Every time I hear about one of the buttons popping out it always seems to result in a whole new case being required. I look forward to hearing how you get on. Good luck

JohnCoburn
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 3:26 pm #5

Many thanks!
Bobby
I can't believe there is no way to fix this without replacing the case. If true, and I have heard this before, so I assume it is, then what a terrible design flaw.

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 5:28 pm #6

Assuming the case is cast, milled, conjured, whatever out of one solid piece and that the quick release has to be inserted or mounted inside the first time...how is out not possible to replace this?

Couldn't it just be re inserted like it was day one?

Or is op really worried that if they repair the owner could then have a failure causing breakage or loss of watch and then the mother ship would be responsible to replace?

Typing this with full on paranoia staring down at my 312 with that system as well.

Mike C, 312 NYC

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 6:42 pm #7

Many thanks!
Bobby
That is if it can't be repaired.

They could have come up with a screw in design. It's deep enough that the outer ring could have been raised with a slot to screw in and remove the whole unit.

I'm sure it can be drilled out and then use a CCW screw removal tool to grip and pull out

But hey.

Why go to all that trouble when it's so much easier to say "You need a new case"

Obviously. The problem isn't wide spread enough to redesign it and most of the time they blame the customer anyways so be prepared for that one.

Worst comes to worst. You use extra thick spring bars

Good luck

DON

BobbyNYC
Paneristi
BobbyNYC
Paneristi

August 29th, 2017, 11:19 pm #8

Many thanks!
Bobby
I didn't get a chance to head over to the boutique today since I got tied up at work. I did however spend some time on the watch. I was able to reset the entire spring,button and retention ring into the opening in the lug. I got them into place and used some vise grip pliers to squeeze them into place. The vise grips were plastic coated and I used a thin piece of hardwood I had laying around. Not one mark was left on the case and lugs.

As of right now I have the watched strapped onto my wrist in the house and it feels pretty solid like it was before. Let's see how this holds up in the next few days.

Bobby

fullcourt1
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 4:09 am #9

fingers crossed
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

ferry.monne
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 6:02 am #10

I didn't get a chance to head over to the boutique today since I got tied up at work. I did however spend some time on the watch. I was able to reset the entire spring,button and retention ring into the opening in the lug. I got them into place and used some vise grip pliers to squeeze them into place. The vise grips were plastic coated and I used a thin piece of hardwood I had laying around. Not one mark was left on the case and lugs.

As of right now I have the watched strapped onto my wrist in the house and it feels pretty solid like it was before. Let's see how this holds up in the next few days.

Bobby
I really hope that solves it for you! nt

paulee53
Paneristi
paulee53
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 9:45 am #11

Bobby
and it will be interesting to see what happens when you come to change the strap again. Good luck

BobbyNYC
Paneristi
BobbyNYC
Paneristi

August 30th, 2017, 12:20 pm #12

We'll see what happens. Hopefully it holds up. I just find it ludicrous that panerai knows of the issue and rather than chalking it up to a design flaw, they take the easy way out and say a case replacement is needed. A case replacement is half the face value of the watch.