P.3000 movement winding sound

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

P.3000 movement winding sound

hesalitedome
Paneristi

April 14th, 2017, 7:31 pm #1

I just purchased a beautiful new 673. It's my first 47mm Panerai and I'm beginning to understand the passion and enthusiasm for this brand (my only other Panerai is a 564).

I have one question and concern, however. When I wind the watch normally with thumb and forefinger, the sound and feel are smooth and quiet. If I wind more quickly with only my index finger from below, the sound is slightly harsh and raspy -- not horrible like something is broken, but just not as smooth and quiet. I don't experience this with the 564, which sounds pretty much the same no matter how its wound.

I've heard that the grittier sound could be external (crown rubbing slightly on crown guard due to upwards pressure with one finger winding) or internal (crown stem related). I've also been advised that it's better to wind with two fingers for more even pressure, though I also know a Panerai watchmaker who believes that index finger winding shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this slightly rougher sound with one finger winding. By the way, I'm pretty gentle and careful with things, but it is easier to wind faster with one finger than two.

Thanks!
John

71eh
Paneristi
71eh
Paneristi

April 14th, 2017, 9:43 pm #2

As far as I know there are slight difference between old p3k and newer one. Even older one there are few minor mod they tweaked. If I may you may be too sensitive but should be alright. If your time accuracy is a way off, suggest to drop it to service center of Panera to check up. Since so new hardly doubt they will charge any. Great watch my friend.

achtung6
Paneristi
achtung6
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 2:52 pm #3

I just purchased a beautiful new 673. It's my first 47mm Panerai and I'm beginning to understand the passion and enthusiasm for this brand (my only other Panerai is a 564).

I have one question and concern, however. When I wind the watch normally with thumb and forefinger, the sound and feel are smooth and quiet. If I wind more quickly with only my index finger from below, the sound is slightly harsh and raspy -- not horrible like something is broken, but just not as smooth and quiet. I don't experience this with the 564, which sounds pretty much the same no matter how its wound.

I've heard that the grittier sound could be external (crown rubbing slightly on crown guard due to upwards pressure with one finger winding) or internal (crown stem related). I've also been advised that it's better to wind with two fingers for more even pressure, though I also know a Panerai watchmaker who believes that index finger winding shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this slightly rougher sound with one finger winding. By the way, I'm pretty gentle and careful with things, but it is easier to wind faster with one finger than two.

Thanks!
John
John, with my watch it almost seems like the unusual sound comes when I try to wind it very quickly and also when the watch has been stopped. When the watch has to be wound from zero or completely stopped, I find this happens. If I wind it every day then it's less noticeable.

hesalitedome
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 5:47 pm #4

As far as I know there are slight difference between old p3k and newer one. Even older one there are few minor mod they tweaked. If I may you may be too sensitive but should be alright. If your time accuracy is a way off, suggest to drop it to service center of Panera to check up. Since so new hardly doubt they will charge any. Great watch my friend.
I'm sure you're right -- the watch is beautiful and, no doubt, working as it should. Not to mention that these are mechanical devices and each will have its own 'personality'. Your psychological insight is also excellent. With anything new, I'm sensitive and on the look-out for any small thing that may be less than perfect. After a few weeks, I return to a state of semi-normalcy

hesalitedome
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 5:53 pm #5

John, with my watch it almost seems like the unusual sound comes when I try to wind it very quickly and also when the watch has been stopped. When the watch has to be wound from zero or completely stopped, I find this happens. If I wind it every day then it's less noticeable.
The 673 is still so new that I don't have a sense of whether the noise is louder when the watch is unwound, but I'll check that. You're also right that the raspy sound is only there if I wind quickly with one finger. Very smooth and quiet otherwise. Appreciate the input!

pakal
Paneristi
pakal
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 6:50 pm #6

Thanks!
John
Show us the beauty ! I am pretty much sure I'll be able to troubleshoot the problem by looking at the watch , hahahaa !!!
P_

hesalitedome
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 3:11 am #7

Here you go Pakal:

pakal
Paneristi
pakal
Paneristi

April 17th, 2017, 9:58 am #8

That's a beauty! (nt)