Non-Panerai Question for watch collectors

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Non-Panerai Question for watch collectors

klam808
Paneristi
klam808
Paneristi

March 11th, 2017, 6:48 pm #1

I have a chance to buy either a white dial or black dial stainless steel Daytona. Both in similar condition and with box and papers. Which do you think will appreciate more, is more rare, and has more link to vintage versions? These two are the modern steel versions before Rolex came out with the ceramic bezel Daytona. Thanks in advance for your comments.

11years
Paneristi
11years
Paneristi

March 11th, 2017, 10:33 pm #2

If you are buying hoping for "appreciation" as you say....I wouldn't buy either. Personally, I prefer the white dial, but can't imagine either one will appreciate because they seem to be on track to making plenty of them.
Buy one if you like it, or move on

philmickfan
Paneristi

March 11th, 2017, 11:48 pm #3

I have a chance to buy either a white dial or black dial stainless steel Daytona. Both in similar condition and with box and papers. Which do you think will appreciate more, is more rare, and has more link to vintage versions? These two are the modern steel versions before Rolex came out with the ceramic bezel Daytona. Thanks in advance for your comments.
White dial always seems to be in more demand.

jldb1976
Paneristi
jldb1976
Paneristi

March 12th, 2017, 1:16 am #4

....but I wouldn't be buying either at anything other than retail price. This is a regular production watch. People are paying premiums only to skip the line, not because this is something collectible or (in the long run) limited.

JohnCoburn
Paneristi

March 12th, 2017, 2:29 am #5

I think the white dial Daytona is spectacular and very versatile. It it the only white dial I own.

Oh and the most comfortable Watch I have ever worn.

hiroshikato1
Paneristi

March 12th, 2017, 3:04 am #6

neither. But with a 116500, white for sure. Why? Because the white dial 116500 is reminiscent of the 16250 Zenith Daytonas and those are, IMHO the best looking modern Daytonas.

joost_H
Paneristi
joost_H
Paneristi

March 12th, 2017, 6:46 am #7

If you want a daytona that appreciates in value, get a Zenith Daytona 16520 early white or black patrizzi

mreynoldsuk
Paneristi

March 12th, 2017, 10:31 am #8

but as mentioned, buy neither with any expectation of appreciation. The ceramic Daytona's have the potential for a small return, but only due to a waiting list that's now quoted 7 years!! These are regular production models, Rolex is not meeting the demand but I wouldn't pay over the odds for one, as beautiful as they are.
Poster formerly known as Matt Reynolds

Current stable 001, 360, 372, 587, 716, 721, 731
Previous stable 000, 590, 687
Wish list 684, 911

fullcourt1
Paneristi

March 13th, 2017, 12:31 am #9

good luck with your quest....
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

klam808
Paneristi
klam808
Paneristi

March 13th, 2017, 2:12 am #10

I guess it's a slow watch market...dealer also has batman GMT in stock and a great condition non ceramic sea-dweller. Now I'm really not sure what to get.

frendrick
Paneristi
frendrick
Paneristi

March 13th, 2017, 2:29 am #11

If it's above retail, you might wanna consider the WG white panda dial daytona. very good price for secondary market.I think you can have preowned one about the same price with the premium priced brand new SS DaytonaC, but hey it's WG and it weighs beautiful. the leather strap version will cost much less and I think a very understated PM watch.

Pam673
Paneristi
Pam673
Paneristi

March 13th, 2017, 3:43 am #12

Depending on where you are geographically located.

Traditionally black dial is much more sought after in Asia. Though with the new ceramic bezel version the white dial is just as popular.

Why are you looking at value? Are you looking to resale further down the line? If so get the black dial otherwise just get the one you like best.