Is Panerai really this cold?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Is Panerai really this cold?

zlin08033
Paneristi
zlin08033
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 2:48 am #1

I still love Panerai very much.
While I was picking up my new bronze 671, I saw 716 Mare Nostrum, 685 and 687 3 Days Acciaio in the showcase, they are such nice looking pieces! Wondering is panerai really this cold now?

Ayer
Paneristi
Ayer
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 6:47 am #2

Inevitably yes. Before they made watches in small numbers and demand generally outstripped supply making them rare and as watches go a pretty good investment. Once they began making their in house movements they introduced a pile of new models and that's pretty much where it all went to ****. I'm not saying that it doesn't make complete sense from a business standpoint but the continuing effect of flooding the market with watches has driven their value down pretty much across the board and is keeping the used market for them flat. We've reached the point where the system is so backed up that the toilet doesn't flush anymore.

mrpanerai
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 1:15 pm #3

Let's also not forget the out of control price increases

jim5058
Paneristi
jim5058
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 1:28 pm #4

way, way overpriced.

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 2:07 pm #5

nt

Bruno.M1
Paneristi
Bruno.M1
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 5:19 pm #6

way, way overpriced.
PAM 687 is gorgeous but close to 10.000 euro for a not better than average finished 2 hands watch ???
same for the 662 and 663
That is completely nuts. those are 6K watches

The 372 and 422, great pieces but simple as hell an 8.000 - 9.000 , really ?

And than the BS with the new Bronze
the forst one 6-7 years ago 7.900 euro
3 years later the same but with power reserve ... I believe 9500 euro ?
Today the blue dial 14.000 ... WTF that same watch was only 7.900 6 years ago

Who are they fooling

No wonder all these beautifull watches are all widely available and unsold ( except the bronze )

Still love the brand but they are loosing it

Imagine they made the 687 in 2006 for 5500 euro ..... it would have be a massive hit, now it's just another watch

red1108nyc
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 5:46 pm #7

While I was picking up my new bronze 671, I saw 716 Mare Nostrum, 685 and 687 3 Days Acciaio in the showcase, they are such nice looking pieces! Wondering is panerai really this cold now?
I still love the brand especially during winter when straps are awesome to wear. Still, with bad liquidity, I am afraid to buy anything since I may be sitting on a Pam for a LONG time once I get bored. Sky high prices also brings more competing brands into picture.

njw1969
Paneristi
njw1969
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 7:46 pm #8

I'm sure some of us could write 10000 words + on this subject . . .

I'm amazed they are still in business to be honest. I mean, has anyone even purchased a Due ?

However, if anyone ever asks me what my favourite watch brand is I would say Panerai ! . . .without a second thought.

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 9:00 pm #9

...as in how many watches are they selling now compared to 10 years ago. Not sure we could get that info, but it would certainly be interesting.

Antonyuk
Paneristi
Antonyuk
Paneristi

October 4th, 2017, 9:04 pm #10

Inevitably yes. Before they made watches in small numbers and demand generally outstripped supply making them rare and as watches go a pretty good investment. Once they began making their in house movements they introduced a pile of new models and that's pretty much where it all went to ****. I'm not saying that it doesn't make complete sense from a business standpoint but the continuing effect of flooding the market with watches has driven their value down pretty much across the board and is keeping the used market for them flat. We've reached the point where the system is so backed up that the toilet doesn't flush anymore.
For those collecting panerai when there were only 2 boutiques in the world and you could pick one up for £2000 these 2017 prices will feel like your getting ripped off but there just the going rate nowadays.
Its the same for rolex aswell, submariners and deepseas etc have double over the years and will continue to have at least one price increase a year.

FLS2K
Paneristi
FLS2K
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 12:53 am #11

I'm sure some of us could write 10000 words + on this subject . . .

I'm amazed they are still in business to be honest. I mean, has anyone even purchased a Due ?

However, if anyone ever asks me what my favourite watch brand is I would say Panerai ! . . .without a second thought.
Just because it may not be for us nerds doesn’t mean they don’t sell.
FLS2K is Beef
Beef is FLS2K

RossRoss1
Paneristi
RossRoss1
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 2:18 am #12

...as in how many watches are they selling now compared to 10 years ago. Not sure we could get that info, but it would certainly be interesting.
Nt

RossRoss1
Paneristi
RossRoss1
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 2:21 am #13

way, way overpriced.
I think all of these watches have always been overpriced.

ferry.monne
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 9:01 am #14

SE are nowadays available at AD's as well, apparently a select number of models that are probably considered semi-SE? At least for markets that do not have Boutiques a positive thing towards local customers, but markets like India there are still AD's who prefer to sell them for export....

Still love the watches I have and the community it created, the brand itself not so much anymore, especially after having more than one technical issue with my watches....starts to look like Fix It Again Tony of a brand more and more....
Last edited by ferry.monne on March 24th, 2018, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 11:01 am #15

spot on beef....this constant beat of the panerai is dead drum is getting a bit tiresome
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 1:03 pm #16

Many years ago. They had a small number as they were somewhat of a new revitalized company, so numbers were lower and production was lower.

Demanded out striped supply.

Now there's too many models, too much production and many other companies are producing larger sized watches and taking sales from the company.

Values rose. Either due the higher value of the Franc or just for the sake of raising prices.

I can't see why the 0000 base logo rose from $3100 in 2005 to close to $4700 in it's last year of 2016 when nothing was added to the watch.

Some models are priced in line as other brands when it comes to inhouse movements, but others not.

I still only wear my Panerai models, but haven't bought anything new since 2005 and won't.

Don't see anything new that really moves me and they've also moved beyond my bank account

DON

mrpanerai
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 1:13 pm #17

when you walk into and AD and see limited editions sitting for extended periods of time.

How many are they selling and to who?

RossRoss1
Paneristi
RossRoss1
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 2:50 pm #18

Many years ago. They had a small number as they were somewhat of a new revitalized company, so numbers were lower and production was lower.

Demanded out striped supply.

Now there's too many models, too much production and many other companies are producing larger sized watches and taking sales from the company.

Values rose. Either due the higher value of the Franc or just for the sake of raising prices.

I can't see why the 0000 base logo rose from $3100 in 2005 to close to $4700 in it's last year of 2016 when nothing was added to the watch.

Some models are priced in line as other brands when it comes to inhouse movements, but others not.

I still only wear my Panerai models, but haven't bought anything new since 2005 and won't.

Don't see anything new that really moves me and they've also moved beyond my bank account

DON
"I can't see why the 0000 base logo rose from $3100 in 2005 to close to $4700 in it's last year of 2016" Because things, especially luxury items, tend to go up in price not down.

Pam673
Paneristi
Pam673
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 3:17 pm #19

The fact that I have seen all the recent Mare Nostrum models (603,716) and the other SEs 663,685,687..etc had been sitting on the shelf of my AD like old dogs looking for a new owner in a pet shop is a sign to OP & Richemont that something is not quite right with their market strategy.

I hope they read this forum and realised that watch enthusiast had lost zest in the brand the moment they continuously recycle SEs from the past.

No buyers would want to see their $10k watch drops 60-70% the moment they wore it where as with a Rolex Submariner or Deepsea or Daytona you don't lose much. This is the issue that they have to address because regardless of how production numbers have ramped up and releasing more series for people to choose, if those watches are sitting on the shelf for long periods of time it painted a bad image to the brand and inspire people to wonder why should they buy this watch if nobody else wanted it.

Yes people do buy what they like but the high level of financial lost is a major roadblock. People dropping $10k on a non essential item will surely do a bit of research beforehand. It's not like 10-15 years ago where information on watches was less transparent. People goes to chrono24 to check on the used value of a watch. If someone is so loaded that dropping $10k and losing over half is a non issue then you have the issue of exclusivity. That is the brand is not high end enough for them to even consider. Instead they will go for something like the PP Nautilus series or the AP ROO series..etc

njw1969
Paneristi
njw1969
Paneristi

October 5th, 2017, 3:50 pm #20

We get trapped in our own bubble sometimes . .

But in response to DP I think we are just being realists.

We love the brand otherwise we wouldn't be here.