I think I escaped unscathed!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

I think I escaped unscathed!

Althaur
Paneristi
Althaur
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 8:57 am #1

Monday night in the family area. Mom and wife are talking loudly about something. Daughter is chatting away. Dog running around. I'm putting my 232 back on after washing the dishes.

Daughter yells "help"!

I turn quickly to check on her.

Gah!! 232 hits the floor.

Daughter couldn't reach her toy.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

After carefully checking the watch, listening, rewinding, letting it sit, it appears to be okay. It fell about 3 feet onto hardwood flooring. It landed flat. I can't find any marks and it seems to be running okay. Since it's never been service, that I know of, I'm wondering if I should get it serviced just as a precaution. Thoughts?

Josh
Josh

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 10:42 am #2

nt

fullcourt1
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 11:58 am #3

Monday night in the family area. Mom and wife are talking loudly about something. Daughter is chatting away. Dog running around. I'm putting my 232 back on after washing the dishes.

Daughter yells "help"!

After carefully checking the watch, listening, rewinding, letting it sit, it appears to be okay. It fell about 3 feet onto hardwood flooring. It landed flat. I can't find any marks and it seems to be running okay. Since it's never been service, that I know of, I'm wondering if I should get it serviced just as a precaution. Thoughts?

Josh
....ouch, good luck
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

Althaur
Paneristi
Althaur
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 12:45 pm #4

nt
I'm going to hold off unless there seems to a be problem that appears.
Josh

Althaur
Paneristi
Althaur
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 12:46 pm #5

I'm wearing it today. So far so good. I need to take the strap off tonight or this weekend and check the wire lugs and case a little more thoroughly.
Josh

DONAG
Paneristi
DONAG
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 1:15 pm #6

Daughter yells "help"!

Josh
If you take it in and mentioned you dropped it. $$$ will light up in the eye's of the rep your talking to

If you don't mention it and at the service there is just an iota of small damage to a part. They might notice it and note that many parts will need to be replaced.

Good point is the movement is the ETA 6497, so any qualified watchmaker can work on it and parts will be cheaper.

Main difference with this movement over the standard ETA is the newly designed bridges and swans neck adjustment on the movement.

All other parts are the same

Just wear it and check the timing day to day. Reset the time every 24 hours at the same time. Not going to be 100% on the time setting (no hacking and no minute marks)

Set as close as possible to the same 5 minute marker and wear it over a week

DON

hiroshikato1
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 1:53 pm #7

Daughter yells "help"!

Josh
As Don said, the 232 has an ETA movement and bc there is no second hand, we aren't worried about COSC timekeeping. That being said, I am a firm believer in if it ain't broke... Monitor the watch's timekeeping over a few weeks and see how it goes. If it is running too fast or too slow by minutes, there may be something wrong. I personally still would not send it into Panerai, even though their service has vastly improved over the past few years, and try to find a proficient watchmaker and have them put not on the Timegraph machine. Be happy that you didn't bend the wire lugs or damage the case! Good luck. Hiro

azcodman
Paneristi
azcodman
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 3:39 pm #8

Daughter yells "help"!

Josh
Seems like the shock protection mechanism that's been in watch movements for a long time actually works. Glad to hear no apparent damage; if the floor was tile, the story might not have been a happy one.

When are you coming back?

Keith

porsche-964
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 9:19 pm #9

Hope all is well Josh

jak112460
Paneristi
jak112460
Paneristi

September 7th, 2017, 10:27 pm #10

Daughter yells "help"!

Josh
These watches are tough. Dropping it on hardwood floor should have dented the floor.

Aeromat209
Paneristi

September 8th, 2017, 5:46 am #11

Daughter yells "help"!

Josh
I winced following your story ! I do the dishes with my 232 0r 372 always on to avoid out of my control issues ! YMMV!

Sounds like it's OK ! zTo make you feel better I'll buy ya the first beer at P-Day !

Althaur
Paneristi
Althaur
Paneristi

September 10th, 2017, 9:01 am #12

If you take it in and mentioned you dropped it. $$$ will light up in the eye's of the rep your talking to

If you don't mention it and at the service there is just an iota of small damage to a part. They might notice it and note that many parts will need to be replaced.

Good point is the movement is the ETA 6497, so any qualified watchmaker can work on it and parts will be cheaper.

Main difference with this movement over the standard ETA is the newly designed bridges and swans neck adjustment on the movement.

All other parts are the same

Just wear it and check the timing day to day. Reset the time every 24 hours at the same time. Not going to be 100% on the time setting (no hacking and no minute marks)

Set as close as possible to the same 5 minute marker and wear it over a week

DON
I've watched it the last couple of days and it's stayed spot on. I think I'm in the clear.
Josh

Althaur
Paneristi
Althaur
Paneristi

September 10th, 2017, 9:02 am #13

Seems like the shock protection mechanism that's been in watch movements for a long time actually works. Glad to hear no apparent damage; if the floor was tile, the story might not have been a happy one.

When are you coming back?

Keith
I think the flooring did help a bit. Plus, it rode down my leg a bit before hitting.

Hopefully, I'll be back out your way next month. I'll make sure to let you know.
Josh

Althaur
Paneristi
Althaur
Paneristi

September 10th, 2017, 9:03 am #14

Hope all is well Josh
Hope you are well also!

The dishes get me out of diaper duty!
Josh

Althaur
Paneristi
Althaur
Paneristi

September 10th, 2017, 9:05 am #15

I winced following your story ! I do the dishes with my 232 0r 372 always on to avoid out of my control issues ! YMMV!

Sounds like it's OK ! zTo make you feel better I'll buy ya the first beer at P-Day !
I'd be on the verge of tears watching it! LOL

I'm missing P-day, but hoping to be in your neck of the woods in another month or so.
Josh

Aeromat209
Paneristi

September 17th, 2017, 5:05 pm #16

Daughter yells "help"!

Josh
Make sure you let me know ! Maybe a short GTG !!!!

mbsn7789@q.com