Has Panerai "jumped the shark"?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Has Panerai "jumped the shark"?

auto90
Paneristi
auto90
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2018, 4:47 pm #1

In other words, has Panerai changed from an exclusive historic watch company that produced such awe inspiring time pieces like the 203,127,249,232,190,217 ect to producing lackluster "fake patina" shallow achieving snap on back run of the mill time pieces? Remember the decorated movements like the 183g and the 127? Someone in the higher up level thought "let's save a couple bucks and boost profit and stop that and just make them plain looking" What do you guys think?

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2018, 5:00 pm #2

this discussion has been coming around regularly for the last decade or so

Honestly, there have been a lot of great new DNA oriented Panerais besides the classics you mentioned over the last decade, I was fortunate enough to pick one up myself recently, the IMO incomparable 662, which only came out a year ago.

I agree that Panerai is offering more and more non-DNA watches, and is obviously moving into new areas of horology that have nothing at all to do with their history. But so far, they're still also providing a lot of stuff for the historically minded enthusiast to enjoy too.

So jumped the shark? Nah. Changing? Definitely.

ChuckA1
Paneristi
ChuckA1
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2018, 5:24 pm #3

In other words, has Panerai changed from an exclusive historic watch company that produced such awe inspiring time pieces like the 203,127,249,232,190,217 ect to producing lackluster "fake patina" shallow achieving snap on back run of the mill time pieces? Remember the decorated movements like the 183g and the 127? Someone in the higher up level thought "let's save a couple bucks and boost profit and stop that and just make them plain looking" What do you guys think?
Much the same with watch manufacturers. I think OP's decision to expand their line, while still producing
models with distinctly original DNA has allowed them to keep up with the times.

Chuck A

RossRoss1
Paneristi
RossRoss1
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2018, 7:11 pm #4

How many more times can we beat this dead horse? You don't like them don't buy them, just sayin.

auto90
Paneristi
auto90
Paneristi

February 2nd, 2018, 7:20 pm #5

Just not impressed with the direction they are going. Sorry I don't go back and read all posts. Sorry I didn't realize I touched on a nerve. Or maybe you are just a bit sensitive today.

ThunderDownUnder
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2018, 2:45 am #6

They want to stop to recreate so many dna inspired watches to keep them more PURE and less dilution and with the new DUE

So they look to increase the business by entering NEW markets leaving us less tribute watches rehashed and instead making things to increase profits with new market niches - a biz who has to make profit for share holders they have to make more $$ each year and thus the Due in 42-38 does that make any sense ?

Making our tribute watches more valuable by creating less of them yet continuing to increase profit in new markets ?

I’m sure that’s the mandate and I applaud the initiative to leave less DNA historical watches and more for other market niches 🙏🏻

Ohhhh So Much MORE than just a Watch 🤩 it’s the mates behind the Watch & the “Mateships” we create that simply Blows me “Away” ❤️

Cheers Beers & Hoo Roo Hammer 🔨 🇦🇺♿️👍🏻

ThunderDownUnder
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2018, 2:50 am #7

Just not impressed with the direction they are going. Sorry I don't go back and read all posts. Sorry I didn't realize I touched on a nerve. Or maybe you are just a bit sensitive today.
He’s one guy who I don’t ever want to bump heads with TFS - it’s just for some who have been here for a decade or almost 2 this kind of thing has come up soooooooo many times so often it’s a bit repetitive but how can you know that so all good mate HAGWE Scott 🇦🇺♿️🙏🏻👌
Ohhhh So Much MORE than just a Watch 🤩 it’s the mates behind the Watch & the “Mateships” we create that simply Blows me “Away” ❤️

auto90
Paneristi
auto90
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2018, 3:56 am #8

You rock. Keep up the good work.

ThunderDownUnder
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am #9

ROLL .... So your the ROCK 👍🏻👍🏻 in our mateship - always know u have a M8 ♿️🇦🇺

The Blunder Down Under — come visit some time I’ll meet you at airport 👌👌

Not an IF only a when 😏

ANGELITOJN
Paneristi
ANGELITOJN
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2018, 10:09 am #10

They want to stop to recreate so many dna inspired watches to keep them more PURE and less dilution and with the new DUE

So they look to increase the business by entering NEW markets leaving us less tribute watches rehashed and instead making things to increase profits with new market niches - a biz who has to make profit for share holders they have to make more $$ each year and thus the Due in 42-38 does that make any sense ?

Making our tribute watches more valuable by creating less of them yet continuing to increase profit in new markets ?

I’m sure that’s the mandate and I applaud the initiative to leave less DNA historical watches and more for other market niches 🙏🏻

I’m sure that’s the way.

ThunderDownUnder
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2018, 10:42 am #11

I couldn’t be Happier ✌🏻

Things to come might actually be a GREAT move for us as collectors - less SE’s that make them special, again 👍🏻

And trying to grow their business to keep everyone (stock holders) happy - that’s all good for me - the “Due” will take allot of attention going forward imho fwiw and I’m happy they can grow the bizz into a new market niche - not active in - growing wide not high - and that will take less atten away from more seasoned collectors like risti Watches - I don’t care if People come to the brand for a completely different type of Watch hey I’ll open the door and for smaller wristed brothers of mine in Asia finally there are more choices now than ever - ladies come on it I’ll pull out the seat - now - New serious buyers can take that first jump into a 44 base luminor or fiver - if a really successful person loves the Tourby’s I’m in AWE of him - so LONG AS they can turn out even 1 SE with heavy DNA a year - that’s all I need and surely neither does my Wallet 🤫

Nothing will change what we do here albeit I’m sure many will come and find the real core of collectors - and interacted with them to grow their to education / information- about so much more about just a Watch - who knows - but if it makes them Happy then Im happy happy Happy - one GR8 Ref a year and my mouth is smiling 🤗🤗

tarichar
Paneristi
tarichar
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2018, 5:19 pm #12

I hadn't looked at the recent Panerai releases that way, I thought they might be losing their way, or moving away from their roots. But, looking at it as trying to bring more people into the brand as something that will help everyone overall, that's actually a good way to look at it. I think many of us who love Panerai, tend to take it a little personally when the company does something we don't agree with, and I have a tendency to only look at how it affects me instead of the big picture. Thank you for your mature perspective on this.

Troy

jibuti
Paneristi
jibuti
Paneristi

February 4th, 2018, 7:20 pm #13

when money talks a ******** walks.....as usual, sorry OP.....

jibuti
Paneristi
jibuti
Paneristi

February 4th, 2018, 7:21 pm #14

that is bull..... and his cr ap....

evertech
Paneristi
evertech
Paneristi

February 5th, 2018, 2:53 am #15

: ) : ) DNA watches or closer to it .. will be more valuable every time OP launches another range of new age Panerai

auto90
Paneristi
auto90
Paneristi

February 7th, 2018, 3:21 pm #16

Maybe you should go read the rules of the forum. You sound like a sad little man. Here they are in case you missed them:

Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.

auto90
Paneristi
auto90
Paneristi

February 7th, 2018, 3:22 pm #17

And I meant that for Jib in case you didn't get it.