First time Panerai Owner. Not impressed. Would never repeat buy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

First time Panerai Owner. Not impressed. Would never repeat buy.

dman2112
New User
dman2112
New User

April 7th, 2012, 12:44 pm #1

Hello to the forum as this is my first time post. I certainly appreciate all the information gleaned from you fine folks.

With that said, I unfortunately have had a terrible ownership experience.

In mid March 2012 I purchased a PAM 359 at an AD. I was excited to find a 359 now that I live in NY and was looking for one for about 2 years while I was living on the west coast.

After two weeks, the watch broke. I mean broke hard. The date wheel jammed and I could not turn the hour hand passed 11:00. Since purchase I had worn the watch every day so the watch had only been manipulated on the day of purchase when the time was originally set.

Quite upset, I made my way to the Panerai boutique in New York (which took an entire day of my time). When I walked in, I explained what had occurred to the manager and all he could say was "wow, we are very sorry". We have to send it to Texas. When I asked how long the turn around time would be I was given a time of approximately three weeks. From what I read on this forum and on the net I am not optimistic I will get the watch back that quickly.

In addition, from what I read here about the quality of the service from the service center I must admit I am a little concerned about what exactly will happen. Will they try and charge me? Will the previously flawless finish of a new watch come back with scratches on it? Not good. I feel as I purchased an $8000 paper weight.

There are a lot of timepieces out there in the price range of the 359 and I just don't see the Panerai in-house movements mature enough yet to take the risk. For now I'll wear my 8 year old Rolex Sea Dweller...old tried and true.

Hope this adds food for thought for future purchasers.

hkgweilo
Paneristi
hkgweilo
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 12:52 pm #2

I will say that I have had only good service experiences (both for routine service and breakdowns). I think like most things in life, you hear about the bad things and not the good. Unfortunately, any mechanical device is subject to breaking, but its never any fun when you've spent 10k+ on a watch.

I too have owned Rolex's but lets not think they're immune to problems. I had a daytona that had to go back three times before they could properly fix the zero-reset. But, they DID fix it and that's all I cared about.

Again, sorry to hear about your problem. I can imagine its especially frustrating since it's your first Panerai. I'm sure the Service Center will solve your issue and the team the NY Boutique are first-rate and I know they'll follow-up for you.

johnnychum
Paneristi
johnnychum
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 1:08 pm #3

Hello to the forum as this is my first time post. I certainly appreciate all the information gleaned from you fine folks.

In mid March 2012 I purchased a PAM 359 at an AD. I was excited to find a 359 now that I live in NY and was looking for one for about 2 years while I was living on the west coast.

After two weeks, the watch broke. I mean broke hard. The date wheel jammed and I could not turn the hour hand passed 11:00. Since purchase I had worn the watch every day so the watch had only been manipulated on the day of purchase when the time was originally set.

Quite upset, I made my way to the Panerai boutique in New York (which took an entire day of my time). When I walked in, I explained what had occurred to the manager and all he could say was "wow, we are very sorry". We have to send it to Texas. When I asked how long the turn around time would be I was given a time of approximately three weeks. From what I read on this forum and on the net I am not optimistic I will get the watch back that quickly.

In addition, from what I read here about the quality of the service from the service center I must admit I am a little concerned about what exactly will happen. Will they try and charge me? Will the previously flawless finish of a new watch come back with scratches on it? Not good. I feel as I purchased an $8000 paper weight.

There are a lot of timepieces out there in the price range of the 359 and I just don't see the Panerai in-house movements mature enough yet to take the risk. For now I'll wear my 8 year old Rolex Sea Dweller...old tried and true.

Not one of us on this forum can say that any one watchmaker is better then the other! Also, what really is your bad experiance?..you got a watch, it broke and you sent it out to get repaired?! Any watch with warranty is going to be repaired without a charge to you! All the bad service experiences that you may have read on this forum should be compared to all the good service experiences you've read here...I bet the good wins hands down!

Johnnychum
Montreal, Quebec.

Asimut
Paneristi
Asimut
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 1:14 pm #4

Have you been let down by Panerai's service, or is the above rant in anticipation? Why don't you wait until your watch returns from service and then see?

Faults can happen with any product, no matter how tight QC is. The real question is how the brand treats the customer.

My 2

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

<a href="http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/ ... d.jpg"></a>

table4bat
Paneristi
table4bat
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 1:16 pm #5

You're complaining about things that "may" happen with the service of your watch.

Yes, Panerai watches are expensive, and one would assume 100% of the timepieces would work flawlessly for years and years and years. However, since the watches are assembled by humans, not every single watch will be without defect...hence the two year warranty.

jacksonian71
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 1:34 pm #6

First, we're all sorry that your watch had a failure. That sucks for sure. But your rant is unjustified. You haven't had a bad service experience. You didn't have to take an entire day off to get your watch to the boutique. Fortunately your watch can be serviced in TX and not have a much longer trip to Switzerland. Any mechanical object can fail, yes, even your trusty Rolex.

If this experience is really that bad for you, I would have the watch serviced and then you should sell it and go back to your Rolex. Hopefully it will never malfunction.

phuphav
Paneristi
phuphav
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm #7

I got my first Pam (241) in 2008. After 2 weeks, the date function didn't work.
I contacted my AD and sent it to NY boutique (I was in SF).
It took about 7 weeks for repairing without any charges.
1 year later, it needed the service again.
This time took only 2 weeks.
I think that wait time depends on how busy they are and how serious of the case.

CPDay
Paneristi
CPDay
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 2:09 pm #8

Have you been let down by Panerai's service, or is the above rant in anticipation? Why don't you wait until your watch returns from service and then see?

Faults can happen with any product, no matter how tight QC is. The real question is how the brand treats the customer.

My 2

~Asi~

+1 nt

CinemaQ
Paneristi
CinemaQ
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 2:32 pm #9

I think what Dman meant to say is how disappointed he is to have paid $8K for a watch which broke down after two weeks without any apparent reason - that is the "unhappy" part.
In my opinion that feeling is completely justified. I own three PAMs (so far no break downs - knock on wood) two of them with the same 9000 movement. So yes, it looks like your initial experience was not great- something was obviously wrong with the movement from the beginning.
BUT, you will get the watch back (soon I hope) and it may never ever fail you again!

We all love this watch and this brand without reservation. And yes, it may not be always perfect - no mechanical watch -Rolex-AP- PP or instrument ever is!
However, there is so much history and raw beauty in that watch, that wearing it is an absolute everyday delight and pleasure. That's why we pay a lot of money for it and that is why it is wort to us.
SO, I would just suggest giving your PAM another "the glass is half-full" chance!

All the best!
Tom

shmeedr
Paneristi
shmeedr
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 2:58 pm #10

My 2

~Asi~

I've had a Rolex or 2 with issues that were repaired to my satisfaction. Is Rolex now a piece of crap brand because of this? No. One of my clients has a Roger Dubuis that's been in the shop numerous times, at that price point ($100k+), the watch should be perfect? Things happen. I hope that your 359 is fixed and you have no more problems. Just my opinion.

My Grails.

Avi: "Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?"
Bullet Tooth Tony: "You can call me Susan if it makes you happy." Snatch

Kevin Schmieder

Pam 111 N Series
Pam 005 N Series (Gone)
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610

gazman70k
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 3:50 pm #11

I think what Dman meant to say is how disappointed he is to have paid $8K for a watch which broke down after two weeks without any apparent reason - that is the "unhappy" part.
In my opinion that feeling is completely justified. I own three PAMs (so far no break downs - knock on wood) two of them with the same 9000 movement. So yes, it looks like your initial experience was not great- something was obviously wrong with the movement from the beginning.
BUT, you will get the watch back (soon I hope) and it may never ever fail you again!

We all love this watch and this brand without reservation. And yes, it may not be always perfect - no mechanical watch -Rolex-AP- PP or instrument ever is!
However, there is so much history and raw beauty in that watch, that wearing it is an absolute everyday delight and pleasure. That's why we pay a lot of money for it and that is why it is wort to us.
SO, I would just suggest giving your PAM another "the glass is half-full" chance!

All the best!
Tom
A buddy had a Jaguar XK with a totally messed up electrical and onboard computer system. It was so bad that he became a family friend of his local Jaguar mechanic.

His mechanic finally conceded. He recommended that my friend find an exorcist because the car was possesed.

Gaz

Cheers
Gaz

========================================

The grass is greener on the otherside because its growing on a big pile of $h!t.

Some say the glass is half empty.
Others say the glass is half full.
I say the glass isn't bloody big enough!
========================================

watchdaddy1
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 4:08 pm #12

I agree, but you should wait for the outcome, I believe you will be happy w/ your 1 & only Pam when it's returned.Here's to a speedy return.

gregcar
Paneristi
gregcar
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 5:26 pm #13

This is a forum for people who really like Panerai watches so it is unlikely that anyone will be swayed from ever buying one again, however, your frustration can be appreciated, but, occasionally there will be complaints or negativity, and like any other product out there, sometimes the watch you buy is not perfect. I had a problem with a 212 in the past that was promptly fixed and never a problem again. I have had several rolexes, and occasionally an issue with them. Nothing, and no one is perfect, and everything inanimate and human, is prone to breakdown, or experience some sort of failure at some point. Some earlier than others. However, this seems to be a bit of an extreme reaction and perhaps you should wait to see how the service goes, and the timeframe, rather than venting about problems other people have allegedly had. If you are that upset, perhaps communication with Panerai would help. I have learned in life that dealing with the issue with the appropriate party serves a much better purpose than simply complaining to everyone else about it.

Why not take a deep breath, see how it goes, and when you get your watch back, either enjoy it, or if you now hate the brand, just sell it, or better yet, demand that you get your money back from where you purchased it.

Every company makes products that are not 100 percent perfect. And no one of us is perfect. If they fix the problem, with an appropriate apology, why is that unsatisfactory? I highly doubt that anyone on this planet can look themselves in the mirror and say they have never made a mistake, or had some kind of output at work, or in our personal lives, which was less than perfect.

Sure, it is frustrating to spend any money on something, and then have a problem with it...just like when a car is recalled, it is inconvenient, unpleasant, and unfair...however, if it performs great thereafter, then the problems are often forgotten and the benefit clearly outweighs the problem.

It could be much worse....you could be watch-less...and what is worse than that...you have another great timepiece to wear in the interim.

Just another perspective and opinion...and as they say, opinions are like...

everyone has one.

subtribe
Paneristi
subtribe
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 6:11 pm #14

have it fail on me after just 2 weeks of ownership. I believe, with this issue, you may anticipate further issues down the line. And it certainly doesn't help build your confidence from those that have posted receiving their Pams from the service center, not in the same condition as it was sent.

I would've taken photos of your 359 prior to sending to the service center, pointing to the MGR. that there were no evidence of scratches and have him sign for it, therefore, if your PAM is delivered with scratches, you can have them take care if it, since you had the MGR. do a visual inspection beforehand.

Good Luck!

zeroshiki
Paneristi
zeroshiki
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 6:44 pm #15

but please let me share something that's happening to me, even with brands said to be above richemont's panerai, it's the same story.

i have an one month old JLC which had to be sent back for a simple fix, mind you, i only asked for aligning between the luminova marker on dial and the minutes markers on the rehaut, and a movement regulation(running inconsistently)

first after two weeks submitting the watch via the AD i bought it from, the guy from local authorized service center(in the capital city) call me back, and deny there's a misalignment at all, and movement's running fine etc2. after i gave him a good scolding via the phone, he finally admit the alignment problem is there, saying excuses he didn't look at the watch etc2. and told me they will send the watch to richemont's service center in another country(singapore).

after two weeks from the call above, the manager from the guy up there updated me that richemont singapore has to send the watch back to swiss, and will update me again when the watch repair is done.

now it has been two months. still no news. at all.

mind you, JLC isn't the 1st brand/time i have this kind of sour experience with watch servicing. the other one is rolex, sold the watch immediately cos i couldn't be bothered with it anymore, not with the service center's people, not with rolex itself.

long story short, lessons learned. i'm pretty done with swiss watche brands. bought myself a digital protrek casio watch for daily use, enjoy the accuracy, maintainance free, no fuss. those swiss brands i already bought? i will enjoy until when the time comes, those i don't want to trouble myself with regular servicing? i will let go. no point paying hundreds/thousands of dollars for crappy servicing(turnover, treatment, let alone having to return repeatedly until they get it right, etc2).

a little disclaimer, what i said is subjective about me only, maybe i'm just venting out. No way i'm trying to influence any others here. for those who can and willingly accept, or can understand, and still love the swiss brands? i envy those of you, me? i don't have such patience or luxury of time to bother myself with dealing with their treatment, it's such a contrast compared to the way they treat you BEFORE you buy their watch.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 6:59 pm #16

i posted up pics here and was overwhelmed by the responses i got. took the watch to a local ad and dispite having a terrible experience with them the watch came back in about 4 weeks. then a few months later the watch would only run for about 7-10 seconds at a time. i called the texas repair facility directly and they took care of everything, shipping both ways a complete overhaul and a few goodies on the return. the second service took 3 weeks and again cost me zero. pasc staff i dealt with were awesome, their cs was above and beyond. i now wear my 328 almost everyday and haven't had any issues. i also bought a 372 in late december 2011 and am looking at buying my wife a pam in the near future. no high-end, low-end watch is gonna be perfect all the time, but hang in there and when you get your 359 back enjoy her, until something else sings to you then pick her up as well.

good luck

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

pdutta2000
Paneristi
pdutta2000
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 8:20 pm #17

I get that you don't appreciate a watch breaking after the first month but that happens. It happens to cars, boats, tvs, and most anything that is made. Personally, I've sent 3 watches through the NY Boutique for service and all have been returned faster than expected and in immaculate condition. Even my old 176 which is titanium came back with nary a scratch. Horror stories are horror stories and the web is full of them. There is a reason, however, that OP has such a rabid following. The product and service are usually a notch above the rest. Stay optimistic..Be thankful that your watch broke early into the warranty. Clearly something was wrong and it will be fixed. Be confident that you won't get charged for the service. I wasn't on 2 of my in-warranty watches. And finally report back after a few weeks. The 359 is an amazing watch and you'll be wearing it soon.

Panerai74
Paneristi
Panerai74
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 8:56 pm #18

This beauty only lasted in 3 days. Before the chrono wheel stopped.

Would i buy a patek again? YES.
Cheer up, your watch will be good again.

By G

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 11:07 pm #19

So you haven't even gotten your watch back yet or even given the service center a chance? It's unfortunate that your watch broke but we're talking about a mechanical watch, these things happen unfortunately. They have sold thousands of p.9000 movements and I'm sure the issues have been very limited. As fas as the service centre goes, you only hear the bad situations while the thousands of good experiences no one ever talks about because it's expected. It sounds like you bought a watch and it to the boutique and were given good customer service, and now you're not even giving the brand a chance to make it right. That's not fair, I would suggest waiting it out. Or maybe get a 000 instead of getting a Panerai that is made to compete with brands like Rolex.

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

April 7th, 2012, 11:08 pm #20

My 2

~Asi~