Experiances With Di Stefano Master Diver in Salt Water

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Experiances With Di Stefano Master Diver in Salt Water

no03330
Paneristi
no03330
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 1:54 pm #1

Looking for something outside rubber.

Pictures: wet or dry

Thanks

ferry.monne
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 3:39 pm #2

Last edited by ferry.monne on March 21st, 2018, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlcdmd
Paneristi
mlcdmd
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 7:18 pm #3

Doesn't seem so from the pics, but I don't want mine to get darker. Just checking. Thanks for the tip.
Mike C, 312 NYC

CT372DUDE
Paneristi
CT372DUDE
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 7:23 pm #4

Ferry is right on the money . I've done the same thing with my 305 a few years back when I still had it., And shouldn't really be much of a color change if you let it lair dry. The Nivea could probably make it a tiny bit darker but that would only be the first time you did it. I used a different cream similar to Nivea , can't remember the name right now but not much of a color change , like I said maybe slightly darker after the first time but no different than regular wear will do in time

ferry.monne
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 7:55 pm #5

Last edited by ferry.monne on March 21st, 2018, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stronzix
Paneristi
stronzix
Paneristi

April 15th, 2017, 9:44 pm #6

Thanks
For the price and the quality, it's hard to find another strap of equal value around. I have couple of the and I must say, quality, feel and look are fantastic. The craftsmanship that goes in to those is simply amazing!! 😜

Simply the best of these divers style...

panerik
Paneristi
panerik
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 4:01 am #7

Thanks
Here are some pics showing its evolution...my BAD has gotten darker over the last year, but that is because I treat it with a creme and vasoline after wearing it in salt water...I also leave it on my wrist to dry...my BAD is soft as butter...

Here is my BAD a day after getting it...you can see how light it is...

...after a few weeks...

...a salt water bath...

...here is my BAD after a season of swimming and immediately after being rubbed down with vasoline...

...another shot...

...and a wrist shot a couple of months ago, looking more worn in and darker (just how I like it)...you can see it's darker then when I first got it...

NoahD
Paneristi
NoahD
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 5:02 am #8

Thanks
Okay, so I've used my BAD in the water a bunch. It HAS held up extremely well, and is really a kick ***, bad *** strap.

The first pic was taken pretty shortly after arriving from Firenze.

The second and third pic are what it looks like soaking wet.

The fourth pic is after some adventure.

The fifth pic is soaked through from sweat.

And the last several pics are what it looks like now.

You can see it HAS darkened a little, but I absolutely love where the patina is at now. Every once in a while I treat it with Nivea Soft as per Simona's instructions and it is supple and soft as ever.

I have actually slowed down using it in the water for two reasons.

1. I LOVE where the patina is at, and I don't want it to get too dark too fast.

2. I have two other straps that I prefer in the water. A prototype of the Distefano 1945 strap which has gotten darker, but looks and feels amazing, and more recently the OEM Cashmere Gold strap, which I used for 9 days in Mexico in both salt and pool water. The reason I like these two straps is because they DRY quicker. The BAD is very thick and I find it takes a long time to dry out fully on the wrist. I often use these straps when I'm travelling, or up at a cottage and I want to wear the watch all day without changing straps. The 1945 is thinner and dries out quicker, and the Cashmere gold has some magical ability to not get too soaked through in the first place.

Regardless, the BAD is an amazing strap.

NoahD
Paneristi
NoahD
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 5:04 am #9

Hi Mike!

No, no color change, to be honest I was a bit afraid for that as the lighter the strap the better it looks
On my 389

The same was done with my Simona all black Diver strap and my wife's Simona Red Diver strap, no change. The only thing that happens is that the strap gets even softer than it already is.
There will be colour change. I've had mine a little longer than Ferry and there is some darkening. I LOVE the way it looks though. As I mention below in my post, I'm slowing it down though.

P1723
Paneristi
P1723
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 8:02 am #10

Thanks
I think he is asking for Master diver, not the Allegrini Bruno diver?

ferry.monne
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 8:20 am #11

Hi Vince,

I believe Mike does have the Bruno Allegrini Gamma Diver strap. But isn't the Master Diver not made of the same Bruno leather?

SimdS
Paneristi
SimdS
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 8:44 am #12

Thanks
Don't want to promote the straps.
The leather of Master Diver and the Leather of the bruno Allegrini is the same kind of leather , but different colour.
The bruno Allegrini come from the Mustard colour of the classic Bruno, The Master diver come from the tan colour.
Also the process of treating the leather is different.

SimdS
Paneristi
SimdS
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 8:51 am #13

There will be colour change. I've had mine a little longer than Ferry and there is some darkening. I LOVE the way it looks though. As I mention below in my post, I'm slowing it down though.
Hello Noah, it is a natural hide and it is strong but is leather so the use will change it slowly in time. When I was working in the boutique a client was bying watches and put exactly with the box in the safe , not for resell just to collect. that watches will never change .. but frankly I prefer to use my watches

that time In Portofino I had not yest started my straps.. so I was using the OEM velcro.
now as a Gradma a lot of swimming pool and not much diving

ferry.monne
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 9:02 am #14

Don't want to promote the straps.
The leather of Master Diver and the Leather of the bruno Allegrini is the same kind of leather , but different colour.
The bruno Allegrini come from the Mustard colour of the classic Bruno, The Master diver come from the tan colour.
Also the process of treating the leather is different.
But I guess the effect on the two straps is the same when swimming in salt water and treating it with Nivea or other creams?

SimdS
Paneristi
SimdS
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 9:56 am #15

but you have to consider that each single hide is different.
The leather tanning process is not so easy because every hide react different especially since a strapmaker as me can't buy 100 hides all together so when we get some new hides they always react a little bit different .

P1723
Paneristi
P1723
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 10:18 am #16

That clears my doubt too.
Means to say there is no exact /one answer to TS question as everyone might have different tone regardless of same /different handling of the straps.
That makes them even more interesting doesn't it?

sassiekiwi
Paneristi
sassiekiwi
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 10:48 am #17

For the price and the quality, it's hard to find another strap of equal value around. I have couple of the and I must say, quality, feel and look are fantastic. The craftsmanship that goes in to those is simply amazing!! 😜

Simply the best of these divers style...

Wow ... I really love this and the buckle ... YUM!

SimdS
Paneristi
SimdS
Paneristi

April 16th, 2017, 11:39 am #18

That clears my doubt too.
Means to say there is no exact /one answer to TS question as everyone might have different tone regardless of same /different handling of the straps.
That makes them even more interesting doesn't it?
and my job more interesting and fun also

stronzix
Paneristi
stronzix
Paneristi

April 17th, 2017, 6:20 am #19

Wow ... I really love this and the buckle ... YUM!
It is indeed a "one of kind"!

When I am going back to the motherland, I will make a trip to Simona showroom, for sure!