English text on the dial

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

English text on the dial

frsvendsen
Paneristi
frsvendsen
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 1:00 pm #1

Am I the only one here who thinks that a Panerai look much better without English text on the dial, for instance "Days", "Automatic" and "Power Reserve"?

Frank

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time - Bertrand Russell

nickster250
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 1:07 pm #2

I don't think its necessary these days to put Automatic on the dial. Makes the watch look much cleaner.

I dont mind 8 or 10 days been on the dial though

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 2:26 pm #3

Am I the only one here who thinks that a Panerai look much better without English text on the dial, for instance "Days", "Automatic" and "Power Reserve"?

Frank

That they would rather have that off the watch but maybe its there for the lamen shopping for a watch....doesn't make much sense to me honestly. People even took issue with '1950' written on the 127 dial, but they continue to do it with 8 days and ceramica. I honestly don't think it's terrible or anything but I could certainly do without it and would prefer it not to be there.

FrankV1
Paneristi
FrankV1
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 2:33 pm #4

Night View DUOMO Firenze

murphtyper
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 2:48 pm #5

Frank

Not a fan especially of "Vintage"

micah372
Paneristi
micah372
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 2:52 pm #6

Frank

On some brands the text on the dial is part and parcel of the package, but with Panerai it just seems out of place and counter-intuitive given their design history and oeuvre. You don't need to tell me what the watch is made of, or what the mechanism inside does, I already knew that info when I bought the watch.

The recent inclusion of "vintage" engraved on the cases of some models is another transgression that IMO reduces desirability, even more so than the "automatic" etc. With the modern watches the inclusion of text on the dial that explains what the watch is/does can at least be excused by virtue of the fact that the modern line is reaching out to people looking for a more "engaging" dial and watch. But the vintage homage pieces? The entire allure of them is their simplicity, and the people who will generally be buying them are already aware of the vintage connection... no need for engraving on the case to remind me of what I already know

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Joseph56
Paneristi
Joseph56
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 3:23 pm #7

Frank

I think it just needs to be the name "Panerai" and model name like "Luminor Marina" especially a watch where the design is quite minimal. I was look at a Role Sea Dweller and could not get past the paragraph of text.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

zhuter18
Paneristi
zhuter18
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 3:50 pm #8

Frank

But I would love to have the 8 giorni on my 8 days

frsvendsen
Paneristi
frsvendsen
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 3:56 pm #9

That was excactly what I meant. If there should be any text, it should be in Italian.

Frank

khiroshima
Paneristi
khiroshima
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 4:39 pm #10

That they would rather have that off the watch but maybe its there for the lamen shopping for a watch....doesn't make much sense to me honestly. People even took issue with '1950' written on the 127 dial, but they continue to do it with 8 days and ceramica. I honestly don't think it's terrible or anything but I could certainly do without it and would prefer it not to be there.

Maybe it's akin to those BMW drivers that have license frames that say . . . Yes, you guessed it . . . "BMW"

There is that segment of driver/collector that needs to be reminded of what they already own. I don't personally understand it, but yet it exists. Part of what I love about Panerai is its simplicity and lack of showmanship, so I'm guessing (hoping) that readers of this message will appreciate my sentiment, KH

Phumanchu
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 4:55 pm #11

That was excactly what I meant. If there should be any text, it should be in Italian.

Frank

....just looking at it from another angle

tomele
Paneristi
tomele
Paneristi

June 19th, 2012, 8:27 pm #12

cheers,
Tomi

zhuter18
Paneristi
zhuter18
Paneristi

June 20th, 2012, 3:19 am #13

....just looking at it from another angle

What you said is true... however 8 giorni does has a historic relation to Panerai... I guess it depends. Please answer, Italian mates. What do you prefer?