Deployment vs Tang Buckle, which do you prefer?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

Deployment vs Tang Buckle, which do you prefer?

flyfishtahoe
Paneristi

May 19th, 2017, 8:35 pm #1

Greetings all, first time owner of a beautiful new PAM 111. Had a longtime appreciation for these works of art and finally was able to pull the trigger. I'm just curious what most of you collectors prefer? Or is it the occasion that would dictate deployment vs tang buckle? Thanks for any comments and really looking forward to learning more.

DrewWatson
Paneristi

May 19th, 2017, 9:54 pm #2

Although I've had watches supplied with a deployant clasp, I've always changed it over to a buckle. Not only because a buckle leaves me with a feeling of greater security, but because I really don't care for how thin straps need to be in order to accommodate Panerai's folding clasp.

Even if you take the security issue out of the equation for me, I just think the Pre-V buckle is far more distinctive to the brand. Plus, I've never been pinched by a buckle.

Best Regards,

Drew

flyfishtahoe
Paneristi

May 19th, 2017, 10:04 pm #3

Drew, great point about security. Last thing anybody wants is a crystal or a case with a nick. Thanks for the feedback.

dmmai
Paneristi
dmmai
Paneristi

May 19th, 2017, 11:18 pm #4

Greetings all, first time owner of a beautiful new PAM 111. Had a longtime appreciation for these works of art and finally was able to pull the trigger. I'm just curious what most of you collectors prefer? Or is it the occasion that would dictate deployment vs tang buckle? Thanks for any comments and really looking forward to learning more.
Hi Chris

Welcome to the community and congrats on the your classic 111.

If you've looked through many of the older threads with photos, you've no doubt noticed the Very high percentage of Paneristi with traditional buckles. The members who have the often documented strap addiction virtually always run buckles and some sub-specialize in buckle variations. Owners not so afflicted commonly still use deployment clasps on their original OEM straps.

My wife and I make use of both styles of closure and enjoy them equally. We've not encountered any deployment malfunctions causing dropping of our timepieces but then, we're pretty careful. I actually like deployment but I agree with some that the narrower straps required aren't always my favorites. And, as I've seen reported, I think dippers find the deployment clasps easier to attack when stealing watches from ones wrist.

If you aren't careful you might fall under the influence of strap fever and your decision of buckle vs deployment will probably disappear.

Have fun and enjoy your new absolute favorite watch.

flyfishtahoe
Paneristi

May 19th, 2017, 11:42 pm #5

Dmmai, thanks for the input. I've never worn a deployment but have one coming. This watch (and others to come) will be an heirloom for my son so I'm amassing as many accessories right now so he has all the choices that I did when the watch was new. Great info.

dmmai
Paneristi
dmmai
Paneristi

May 20th, 2017, 12:53 am #6

. Very Cool . . . nt . .

ChrisMeadsss
Paneristi

May 21st, 2017, 4:56 am #7

buckle straps won't work with the deployment. Enjoy the mix and match just get yourself a deployment strap so you can use it upon receiving your new deploy. Cheers