A mild rant

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

A mild rant

nolander
Paneristi
nolander
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 2:28 am #1

I just noticed my new(ish) 112 has a loose screw on the plate on the movement. It has been keeping good time and been working well, but when I took it off tonight I noticed this. I just got it in September, so it will be a warranty issue, but it is just a pain to have to send it in. I know I am over stressing and it will all get worked out. I am going to check the website now to get things in order to send it back for repair.
I still love my Pam but I had to rant a little.

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 2:35 am #2

Or bring it to a trusted local watchmaker. It's an easy fix but the last thing you want is that little guy falling out completely and damaging the movement.

nolander
Paneristi
nolander
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 2:37 am #3

It's going to Panerai. I know it would be an easy fix, but I am not going to void the warranty by having a local repair done.

cpdstick
Paneristi
cpdstick
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 2:45 am #4

I just noticed my new(ish) 112 has a loose screw on the plate on the movement. It has been keeping good time and been working well, but when I took it off tonight I noticed this. I just got it in September, so it will be a warranty issue, but it is just a pain to have to send it in. I know I am over stressing and it will all get worked out. I am going to check the website now to get things in order to send it back for repair.

Just get a caseback remover and then screw the backed out screw back in?

shafikzaman
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 2:45 am #5

It's one of those things that happen - which shouldn't : (
good luck with the repair!

DeAngelis2012
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 2:52 am #6

I also have a 112. Can't tell you how fast I whipped it off to look at my own. All is well. So sorry to see that happened to you. I know they'll make it right but still. Frustrating I'm sure!!

bretmarcus
Paneristi
bretmarcus
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 3:50 am #7

Do you live near a Panerai boutique...preferably the biggest in New York or LA? I would let them ship it off. I think you'll get faster servicing.

http://photobucket.combretmarcus

nolander
Paneristi
nolander
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 4:03 am #8

I was likely going to send it to Dallas. Again, I agree that it is easy to repair, but I really don't want to void the warranty.
There is no boutique remotely near me, so I am going to have to send it out myself. I was going to call the repair center on Monday to find out exactly what I need to send with the watch and how they want it shipped, etc.

latoyii
Paneristi
latoyii
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 4:18 am #9

Great attitude, shit happens. Things will be fine.

holycosmic
Paneristi
holycosmic
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 5:48 am #10

why you think they'll the know the caseback has been opened?

nadavgalimidi
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 5:55 am #11

When your watch took a dive or that nasty bump to the 1 O'clock lug...
If I were you, I wouldn't even bother sending it in...
Chances are, that they will tell you that the warranty doesn't cover this since the watch has evidence of being dropped, bumped, knocked around and this could have happened as a result of that...

Get a case back opener and a screwdriver and you can screw that sucker back in in less than 10 seconds.
Shipping the watch back and forth will cost you about X4 as much as a case back opener will...

Not to mention the time it will spend at the service center...

It won't void the warranty if you open the back and screw it in yourself. PANERAI don't have a sensor on the case backs of watches and there's no Red light that comes on at their headquarters every time someone opens a case back outside of the service center...

Just my 2 cents..

mattymay
Paneristi
mattymay
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 9:25 am #12

Eagle Eyes. :-)) (nt)
Dave D (Cordes) from Nottingham, England

chris5264
Paneristi
chris5264
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 11:55 am #13

I can see why you would send this off....I am pretty nervous doing any work on any watch more than 1,000....first the case back needs the correct tool...actually a rubber ball is best...next,,,you have to be careful not to leave any marks on the screw (easy to do with one small slip). Next you need to make sure you don't get any dust on inside...then you need to regrease the rubber gasket..panerai will replace it, at least they are supposed to.

a good local person could do this in their sleep...but of course...finding a good local watch person is always the trick...I know it could be 6 weeks...but sending it in is probably the safest..

rapers
Paneristi
rapers
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 12:01 pm #14

nt

nickster250
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm #15

My 320 lost a screw and a result of a 8ft drop and some other damage.

"A gentleman's choice of timepiece says as much about him as does his Saville Row suit." - Ian Fleming

nolander
Paneristi
nolander
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 1:50 pm #16

It is going back to panerai though. I'm not opening it, nor is someone local. That's what warranty service is for. I don't dare if it takes a few weeks, I have other watches. Knowing myself, if I open it up I will get fingerprints or dust inside. It's just not worth it to me. I learned my lesson about these things a long time ago. Now if it was a $200 watch, that would be a different story.

mrpanerai
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 2:35 pm #17

When your watch took a dive or that nasty bump to the 1 O'clock lug...
If I were you, I wouldn't even bother sending it in...
Chances are, that they will tell you that the warranty doesn't cover this since the watch has evidence of being dropped, bumped, knocked around and this could have happened as a result of that...

Get a case back opener and a screwdriver and you can screw that sucker back in in less than 10 seconds.
Shipping the watch back and forth will cost you about X4 as much as a case back opener will...

Not to mention the time it will spend at the service center...

It won't void the warranty if you open the back and screw it in yourself. PANERAI don't have a sensor on the case backs of watches and there's no Red light that comes on at their headquarters every time someone opens a case back outside of the service center...

Just my 2 cents..
When Panerai looks at that lug, the warranty will be void.

So this will become a $900 overhaul. I would find a local guy to fix it.

rioet
Paneristi
rioet
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 3:46 pm #18

chris5264
Paneristi
chris5264
Paneristi

February 3rd, 2013, 7:58 pm #19

It is going back to panerai though. I'm not opening it, nor is someone local. That's what warranty service is for. I don't dare if it takes a few weeks, I have other watches. Knowing myself, if I open it up I will get fingerprints or dust inside. It's just not worth it to me. I learned my lesson about these things a long time ago. Now if it was a $200 watch, that would be a different story.
and if they try to say that the warranty isn't valid...that is silly....now it would be different if it was hit and the balance or something broke,,,but I"m sorry...an expensive watch should have the screws tight enough,,,,that they DON"T come out! even with a drop...notice it was only one...that means that that one left panerai NOT tight...sorry but I can't see any other explanation.

ERSanchez
Paneristi

February 4th, 2013, 2:33 am #20

....and screw it back in. No worries!!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie