372 buyers remorse?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paneristi/
Forum rules
Welcome to Paneristi.com, the worlds largest and oldest Panerai enthusiast website, since 2000. Here you can communicate with other Paneristi from around the world, learn about get-togethers, research the history of the brand and search the archives for information on your favorite watches. You can also use our fora to buy and sell your Panerai watches and accessories.

Please take a moment to review the site rules and have fun!
Treat others as you would like to be treated. We promote dignity, respect and sensitivity to others as a keystone of this Forum.
Posts on Paneristi.com are permanent. Users do not have the ability to delete or edit their posts, so please use caution and consider the ramifications of your message when posting.
Paneristi.com does not tolerate obscenity, trolling, hateful or racist commentary or personal attacks.
Anonymous posts are subject to deletion without notice. Please use your Network 54 login when posting and leave a legitimate email address.
Paneristi.com provides fora for the selling and buying of Panerai watches and accessories only. Moderators do not engage in these transactions, and all posters are encouraged to perform their own due diligence when entering into a transaction (buying tips). Paneristi.com does not endorse or promote any sellers on this site. All transactions are solely at your own risk.
Paneristi.com is a non-commercial venture for its owners and moderators. Please do not use the site for promotion of any commercial enterprises.
Links to outside sites are permitted, provided the destination link comports with the non-commercial purpose of Paneristi.com. Examples of links that are not allowed: links to auction sites, sales fora, watch/strap sellers and other commercial sites.
Charity posts may only be made with prior approval of the Moderators.
If you have a question, please email a Moderator.

372 buyers remorse?

auto104
Paneristi
auto104
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 5:00 pm #1

With all the 372's for sale now on the CL, I would have to believe that the 47mm just isn't for everyone. The 372 looks so awesome in pictures, but on the wrist, just too big must be the reason for the unloading going on. If only Panerai would make a 233 type watch with the awesome doomed crystal and in a base, or even 8 day, without the GMT, I would guess it would sell like crazy. Now I realize there are a lot of people who just love the 372, but a lot more in my opinion would kill for a 44mm version. Your thoughts?

coloristi
Paneristi
coloristi
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 5:08 pm #2

I have yet to own a 47mm or try one on, but early on in the 372 discussion, most owners said they didn't have an issue with the 47mm. I'm sure it's a reason for some, but if any sellers want to chime in, I share Scott's curiosity on this one.

pamhunter
Paneristi
pamhunter
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 5:13 pm #3

With all the 372's for sale now on the CL, I would have to believe that the 47mm just isn't for everyone. The 372 looks so awesome in pictures, but on the wrist, just too big must be the reason for the unloading going on. If only Panerai would make a 233 type watch with the awesome doomed crystal and in a base, or even 8 day, without the GMT, I would guess it would sell like crazy. Now I realize there are a lot of people who just love the 372, but a lot more in my opinion would kill for a 44mm version. Your thoughts?
47mm its too big for my wrist !!

abunai
Paneristi
abunai
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 5:18 pm #4

the 47mm is what makes the 372. im not sure if i wouldve pulled the trigger had it been a 44mm. and although i have 6.5" wrists which is considered small in many's opinions, the watch just puts a big fat smile on my face when it gets strapped on. in the end, you make it work or get used to the size of it. i wouldn't have bought it to begin with otherwise. im also 6'1" btw so that helps with the small wrists. as for all the 372's in the CM, a big factor may be because another 2500 is being released and flippers are dumping them.

there's a few other threads that touches on the 372 size vs 44's in case you missed it....
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... %28more%29+-
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... 2+for+233-
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/t ... 390+vs+372

mrpanerai
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 5:29 pm #5

believing size is the main issue. Now I know it is for some, but whens the
last time you hear a guy say, I'm selling my 127, 217, 203, 267 because
its too big.

YvonLoney4
Paneristi
YvonLoney4
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 5:40 pm #6

I agree with Russell, I have never seen any I mean ANY post on selling a 127 because it's to big.... I realy wonder what could be the reason for that fire sale !!!

Maybe someone can inlight me ???

docfink
Paneristi
docfink
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 5:54 pm #7

Let's face it, it's not exactly a limited edition watch. I'm sure many people wore it, then said, "do I really need to spend $10K right now?" Presently it can be sold for nearly what one paid for it, that is, before the prices start dropping as the "O" and "P" lines come out, diluting the numbers even further.

I think it's not the size, it's the price. I'm not saying the watch is too expensive, just that maybe some people are having second thoughts after wearing it for a bit. The watch doesn't wear much bigger than a 390 or 233--really--so maybe those who bought it after becoming drunk by all the 'risti koolaid and peer pressure realized it's not the one.

david

rwai
Paneristi
rwai
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 6:18 pm #8

its too big.

127, 217, 203, 267 are all special editions. Even they may be too big for someone, they are a lot more collectable.

I also own a 372 and love it. But it is also too big for me and I also considered selling it. I know if I sell it, I can always buy it back because it is a regular production. But for 127, 217, 203, or 267, once you sell it, it is not that easy to get it back.

There are a lot of risti out there and there are also a lot of regular people buying Panerai. For us, the 372 means a lot more and many see it as a must have watch. But every non risti I know think that my 372 is way overprice and too big, most would not consider it.

I believe the beginning demand on 372 are created by us. But the general market just don't have that high demand at this price range hence the flipper are forced to sell when the supply is higher than demand.

I do hope more 44mm base watch with dome crystal and 1950 case in the future. For now 390 is my alternate for my 372.

Ricky

kevin5
Paneristi
kevin5
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 6:22 pm #9

its too big.

jmridgway
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 6:44 pm #10

It is a big watch, and not only do I have a very small wrist, but I'm not tall either, but too me size isn't the issue. This may be somewhat backward logic, but on my tiny wrist the 44mm models already look big and take up my whole wrist, so the incremental impact of a larger watch isn't all that different. Anybody who chooses to can pull it off.

To the extent I have any buyers remorse, and I'm sure there are others out there like me, it's because I was seduced by the hype initially and then by the watch itself, resulting in my first brand new PAM, my first boutique purchase and my first purchase at MSRP, all of which are out of character for me. It is no doubt a stunningly beautiful and special piece, but I gave up two pieces (312 and 243) to get it, and that pair was far more practical and versatile than the lovely 372 I'm wearing today.

From the perspective of value, the price point is a little hard to follow, given that the most basic P.3000 watch is roughly $2k more than the most basic P.9000 watch at MSRP.

Then, considering what 233s and 312s sell for on the CM compared to their list prices, and considering there will be 6000 372s out there between the N and O series, it's not hard to conclude that getting close to MSRP on the CM won't last for long, and you can already see that happening. Many folks may be realizing that and thinking hey I'll get my money back now and pick another one up later when CM prices reflect a more normal discount to MSRP. Clearly there were some that hoped that this was an SE in disguise (i.e. would begin and end in the N series) and the realization that this is not the case may have prompted some selling.

I love my 372, but if and when I do sell it, it will simply be because I want or need something else more and can't afford to keep it as just one piece in a larger collection, and I have to give it up to fund something that is more versatile, more practical, or, God forbid, is just singing to me more loudly.

nujney
Paneristi
nujney
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 6:45 pm #11

and think it's the best watch Panerai has introduced in the recent years but if I have an option to get the exact same watch in 44mm, it would be perfect

docfink
Paneristi
docfink
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 7:08 pm #12

It is a big watch, and not only do I have a very small wrist, but I'm not tall either, but too me size isn't the issue. This may be somewhat backward logic, but on my tiny wrist the 44mm models already look big and take up my whole wrist, so the incremental impact of a larger watch isn't all that different. Anybody who chooses to can pull it off.

To the extent I have any buyers remorse, and I'm sure there are others out there like me, it's because I was seduced by the hype initially and then by the watch itself, resulting in my first brand new PAM, my first boutique purchase and my first purchase at MSRP, all of which are out of character for me. It is no doubt a stunningly beautiful and special piece, but I gave up two pieces (312 and 243) to get it, and that pair was far more practical and versatile than the lovely 372 I'm wearing today.

From the perspective of value, the price point is a little hard to follow, given that the most basic P.3000 watch is roughly $2k more than the most basic P.9000 watch at MSRP.

Then, considering what 233s and 312s sell for on the CM compared to their list prices, and considering there will be 6000 372s out there between the N and O series, it's not hard to conclude that getting close to MSRP on the CM won't last for long, and you can already see that happening. Many folks may be realizing that and thinking hey I'll get my money back now and pick another one up later when CM prices reflect a more normal discount to MSRP. Clearly there were some that hoped that this was an SE in disguise (i.e. would begin and end in the N series) and the realization that this is not the case may have prompted some selling.

I love my 372, but if and when I do sell it, it will simply be because I want or need something else more and can't afford to keep it as just one piece in a larger collection, and I have to give it up to fund something that is more versatile, more practical, or, God forbid, is just singing to me more loudly.
david

jmridgway
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 7:14 pm #13

and think it's the best watch Panerai has introduced in the recent years but if I have an option to get the exact same watch in 44mm, it would be perfect
+1 [nt]

Jason-PAM
Paneristi
Jason-PAM
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm #14

The hype was generated by ristis screaming for a "base fiddy" (myself included) for years. If it was issued as an LE and there wasn't this much inventory on the resellers market the prices would have been firm.

Personally I think case size and/or movement has very little to do with them hitting the CM so frequently, there simply isn't the demand to meet the supply of a standard run watch that everyone reserved a year and a half ago. IMO

PAM64C, PAM170, PAM10B-T, PAM176G

"I have my rules. Never collect anything youd never wear. I own watches that are valuable but dont scream theyre valuable. And theres watches I could buy for a quarter of that money, that everybody in the room would go, Wow, that guys got cash. Im not a watch snob." -John Mayer

Jason J. Vancouver, BC

Cr4ig
Paneristi
Cr4ig
Paneristi

June 29th, 2012, 8:42 pm #15

Need something along these lines in a 44. I'm so damn glad to have this beautiful 47 though I do feel for those that don't think they can pull it off though.

It's not just about body size, it's much more than that!

-Craig F

Tik_tik_tik
Paneristi

June 30th, 2012, 12:21 am #16

I'm sure lots of reasons exist for the 'dumping'.

Firstly, I don't think it's really that big of a sell-off. If a hundred 217's show up for sale, that's ten percent of the total run: a big deal. If a hundred 372's show up for sale, that's three percent, which isn't as big of a deal. More supply means more availability on the second hand market.

Secondly, I think a lot of the flippers are realizing this won't exactly be the most profitable piece for them, so they're dumping stock before the price really bottoms out. (Remember the initial run on the 000?)

At the same time, you see people buying a 372 second hand to try out. Sure, they may have balked at $10,000.- on a watch they weren't totally sold on, but once someone else has taken the initial price hit, a person can 'safely' buy one to try out and see if it's for them. If they don't like it, they can move it along and make their money back. Moreover, once the price is down, then buying a hand-winding watch with no complications at all becomes a little more palatable.

Finally, I think there are indeed people who bought the piece sight unseen and just realized that 47mm is awfully big. Even for someone used to a 44mm Luminor, the 372 wears bigger than 3mm more. It looks so awesome in the pics on this forum, but that doesn't always translate into reality.

We've all known forever that Panerais aren't for everyone (and that's part of the reason we all love them) but the same can be said for individual models.

peezie
Paneristi
peezie
Paneristi

June 30th, 2012, 2:19 am #17

its too big.

observation. I think Plexi is a major concern, however many do not want to admit it. Watch and see how many that sold their 372s turn around and purchase one from the new series.

fullcourt1
Paneristi

June 30th, 2012, 5:34 am #18

don't wear it when i travel but when i'm home it has become a staple on my wrist. pure, clean dial and the size isn't that big of an issue.

don't think i'd sell mine....at least not for a while.

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
more than just a watch

dralhc
Paneristi
dralhc
Paneristi

June 30th, 2012, 6:35 am #19

As Paddy has said, this is a gift.

You get to wear a piece that is very close to a vintage luminor. There are probably close to 200 44mm luminor models to choose from. Nothing comes close to this piece when comparing it to the vintage ones.

47mm, engraved dial, polished stainless and plexiglas. It is close to perfect.

I understand many think it's large but in reality it's the correct size.

I'm never going to sell mine unless I have to. I don't mind that many others can have it as well as me. If you want to wear a piece like this, the more the merrier. This is the DNA of the brand.

cosmicmike
Paneristi

June 30th, 2012, 6:46 am #20

372 is exactly what many of us have dreamed of -- and it has met expectations. Those who are dumping (a few dozen people?) either bought for wrong reason or just didn't like size or crystal. I guess I don't really see how much difference there is between 2000 or 7000 distribution. Its a special watch that I'm guessing the same guys that are selling today will be repurchasing in a few years. Sure you could have saved a little money waiting and buying on the CM, but I've enjoyed every minute of this watch -- and that is really the only reason anyone should buy any watch -- unless they are true watch "investors"

Personally, I invest in my business And my children's education. I wear watches because they make me feel good...and the 47mm sexy plexi on my wrist right now feels waaaaaaay good

Big D
360, 232,372
If You Don't Go, You Can't Come Back.
RIP BBQ & Drew