Why We Fail

Why We Fail

Mangi Nating
Mangi Nating

April 2nd, 2011, 9:48 am #1

The failure of PNG is the direct result of a failure of our ideas. The West ascended from its barbarism due to the influx of ideas from the East, North Africa and the Mediterranean. What is now western culture is the result of cumulative knowledge that was created by men and women of various races and by a willingness of westerners to embrace and build upon those new ideas.

In fact all human progress is the result of thought. Now this may seem fairly elementary, but let the idea sink in for a minute. Every single man-made item - whether it is clothing, toilet paper, government or war - is first an idea in the mind. Every single thing of consequence that we do is guided by our thoughts.

The logical conclusion then is that the failure of Papua New Guinea (in areas to numerous to mention) is the failure of thought on our part collectively.

Now, we must be careful. I am not saying that we have failed because we’re not as inherently intelligent as our western counterparts – I am saying that we have failed to progress because we have not applied ourselves to thinking, which is not the same thing.

If you accept my premise that all human progress is the result of thought, then you must wonder how this can be harnessed for our benefit. And the answer is quite simply: education.

Drumming the idea into a child that one and one equals two is great, but one can just as easily train a parrot to do the same. We will only have succeeded in educating the populace when they not only memorize facts and dates, but also when they genuinely want to know why and learn to find out for themselves.

When a child asks why, this shows not only an intellectual curiosity (which must be nurtured) but equally importantly, it shows that she has started to develop the ability to critically evaluate claims. And that my dear friend is what we must teach our children. We must place in them the idea, - that oak seed of an idea - that not everything that our culture, that society and that the world says or does is necessarily correct. They must critically evaluate every single claim on its own merits.

Our ideas have been wrong ones - whether it is pay-back killing, a belief in sorcery, litter or corruption - all these stem from wrong-headed thinking. We pay back a wrong because of the idea that if we do not, we will be seen to be weak. We sustain our belief in sorcery because we do not understand enough about disease. We litter because we do not believe in the idea of personal responsibility and finally we allow corruption because of the idea that wealth can only be generated through theft and not enterprise.

Papua New Guinea’s failure is not completely the fault of 109 individuals given to fatuous speech-making, it is the failure of me and you as part of this society to embrace new ideas, to discard old ones that are no longer relevant and to come up with ideas of our own on how we can move our country forward.

In all this, we must not forget God, who has blessed us with sufficient intelligence to deal with our societal ills. I would like to expand (and perhaps expound on) some of these ideas about development on this forum, if the Lord is willing and I have the time.

hmm
hmm

April 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm #2

I agree with everything you say, only I think fear + routine will develop self discipline and virtue. The PNG defense force practical does nothing except womanize, I think the eduction department the government and the defence force should reach an agreement and let them be in charge of Educating and training young men,. The graduate teachers will be solely responsible for classroom teaching and the military takes charge of the other extra curriculum activities outside the classroom. Without discipline, we will have a working force that doesn't follow the conducts and ethics of what is right and wrong. That is why we are failing

kela munmun
kela munmun

April 13th, 2011, 6:04 am #3

dream on. when will it become a reality?

observor
observor

April 18th, 2011, 12:28 am #4

The failure of PNG is the direct result of a failure of our ideas. The West ascended from its barbarism due to the influx of ideas from the East, North Africa and the Mediterranean. What is now western culture is the result of cumulative knowledge that was created by men and women of various races and by a willingness of westerners to embrace and build upon those new ideas.

In fact all human progress is the result of thought. Now this may seem fairly elementary, but let the idea sink in for a minute. Every single man-made item - whether it is clothing, toilet paper, government or war - is first an idea in the mind. Every single thing of consequence that we do is guided by our thoughts.

The logical conclusion then is that the failure of Papua New Guinea (in areas to numerous to mention) is the failure of thought on our part collectively.

Now, we must be careful. I am not saying that we have failed because we’re not as inherently intelligent as our western counterparts – I am saying that we have failed to progress because we have not applied ourselves to thinking, which is not the same thing.

If you accept my premise that all human progress is the result of thought, then you must wonder how this can be harnessed for our benefit. And the answer is quite simply: education.

Drumming the idea into a child that one and one equals two is great, but one can just as easily train a parrot to do the same. We will only have succeeded in educating the populace when they not only memorize facts and dates, but also when they genuinely want to know why and learn to find out for themselves.

When a child asks why, this shows not only an intellectual curiosity (which must be nurtured) but equally importantly, it shows that she has started to develop the ability to critically evaluate claims. And that my dear friend is what we must teach our children. We must place in them the idea, - that oak seed of an idea - that not everything that our culture, that society and that the world says or does is necessarily correct. They must critically evaluate every single claim on its own merits.

Our ideas have been wrong ones - whether it is pay-back killing, a belief in sorcery, litter or corruption - all these stem from wrong-headed thinking. We pay back a wrong because of the idea that if we do not, we will be seen to be weak. We sustain our belief in sorcery because we do not understand enough about disease. We litter because we do not believe in the idea of personal responsibility and finally we allow corruption because of the idea that wealth can only be generated through theft and not enterprise.

Papua New Guinea’s failure is not completely the fault of 109 individuals given to fatuous speech-making, it is the failure of me and you as part of this society to embrace new ideas, to discard old ones that are no longer relevant and to come up with ideas of our own on how we can move our country forward.

In all this, we must not forget God, who has blessed us with sufficient intelligence to deal with our societal ills. I would like to expand (and perhaps expound on) some of these ideas about development on this forum, if the Lord is willing and I have the time.
You should read Jared Daimond's book Guns Germs and Steel where he examines this very question: Why did PNG drop behind the rest of the world when it was the first society to use irrigation? The answers are amazing and not all due to attitude or culture but really due to absence of natural resources and topographical challenges.

yeah right
yeah right

April 18th, 2011, 3:08 am #5

Absence of natural resources, you say? Wake up and smell the coffee.

what a load of crap!
what a load of crap!

April 18th, 2011, 3:11 am #6

Hmmm. For thousands of years, we must have done okay because we didn't kill each other off given all that time. These 'wrong ideas' you mention were part and parcel of the old life. We didn't fail then. We survived. We ate for free. We procreated. We probably didn't die any more frequently than we do now.

The problem are the ideas we use now and those are those of outsiders. That's why we fail. We're bladi copycats and refuse to use our own creativity to come up with ideas for development that fit our environment. Instead we all wanna be like coconuts. And look at the results!

Mangi Nating
Mangi Nating

April 18th, 2011, 8:49 am #7

To the first respondent - Unfortunately I do not believe that the military is equipped to carry out this task. It's aim should be the protection of the State's assets. I am of the opinion that this wholesale education needs to be planned out thoroughly and be implemented by the state through various agencies. I hope to expand on this idea in future posts.

To the second respondent - Yes, I did read Jared Diamond's book and I can't recall if the person who prompted him to write it was from PNG or West Papua - I believe it was PNG. Jared Diamond mentions the fact of our isolation from other cultures as one of the reasons for our lack of development, and it actually supports my assertion. Ideas are key here. We may have been among the first farmers but our isolation to other cultures meant that we were not able to utilize animals such as donkeys to plough the land and therefore increase productivity - this was an idea which we missed out on.

Finally, to the last respondent: Admitted, there are some good ideas from our past, but then there are some bad ideas as well. Respect for your elders: good idea. Eat your enemies: bad. I believe that too often our people hold on to ideas that are no longer relevant. A very good example is people clinging to the idea that your tribe (or clan) must avenge the death of a tribesman. This is a bad idea that has come down from the past and has persisted. It is a bad idea because a better idea has replaced it. That better idea is the rule of law.

Actually I would have to partially disagree with you on the last point as well. It should not matter where the ideas come from. The whole reason why the West developed and advanced was that it accepted ideas from outside and then built upon them, adapting them based on their needs. The Germans would have remained barbarians were it not for the intervention of the Romans, for example. No society that has developed has developed solely on its own ideas - all have borrowed and stole from others - and continue to do so.

I do agree however that we have to watch out lest we become "coconuts." And I think here we need to make a distinction between "fundamental" ideas and "trivial" ones. Trivial ones for example are having a latte in order to be more like the expatriate - to "kamap." But hey, that's a personal choice. Fundamental ideas are those that are to do with the running of society.

But I haven't written too much - for now.

ManMountain
ManMountain

April 18th, 2011, 3:45 pm #8

Absence of natural resources, you say? Wake up and smell the coffee.
Jared Daimond was paid to do a good work, raising the status quo of a multi-national corporation so that it will look the leader in environmental management. Well they choose a ecologically and environmentally pristine part of the world, PNG. Of course the book made the best sellers list and the corporate client cemented its spot as the leader in environmental management whist running down the oil resources of PNG.

As the saying goes; do not judge by the cover, may I add, do not judge a book by what it portrays, but read between the lines.

Well I guess multinational company managers and board chairman’s are very smart…or may I say…they tread carefully between a fine line between; of knowledge and ignorance.
ManMountain

martin
martin

April 20th, 2011, 2:51 am #9

You are living in dream land. No publisher has to do anything that you say. They just sit on their arses, wait for manuscripts to come in from all kinds of people, pick the one they think is most likely to sell, and publish it.

Stop being a conspiracy theorist, it makes us look like we're still in the stone age.

ManMountain
ManMountain

April 22nd, 2011, 11:31 am #10

why we fail is because we do not plant the mustard seed we have, we always expect others and outsiders to give us, there is nothing free, you harvest what you plant, you plant nothing you get zero. Ofcourse you can parasite now, and your child will be poorer than you.