SKYLINK - Mobile Users to get live info soon

SKYLINK - Mobile Users to get live info soon

sexxiicoolguy
sexxiicoolguy

July 14th, 2008, 3:42 pm #1

Updates to the first wannabe users of SKYLINK Communication Limited services.

Please read our previous discussion posted by BONES on "Internet Broadband via HF" on this thread. Posted Nov 2007.

From post Courier: http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20080714/business03.htm

<STRONG>Mobile users to get ‘live’ info soon</STRONG>

MOBILE phone users in Papua New Guinea will soon have access to world-class wireless telecommunication services, courtesy of a national comunication research company.
Rather than just sending text messages and making calls, users will be able to receive up-to-date stock markets and commodity prices as well as get live National Rugby League (NRL) scores and even airline schedules.
<STRONG>Skylink Communications Limited </STRONG>yesterday announced its exclusive deal with the Gambit Group, a pioneer and world leader in mobile infrastructure and information services for leading mobile operators. Australian-based Gambit provides live broadcast to mobile phones, television shows and sporting events.
It currently provides mobile phone users in Australia live updates on NRL games.
The agreement will now pave way for Gambit and Skylink to begin talks with mobile phone operators, Digicel and Telikom.
Skylink chairman and chief executive officer Ces Iewago told reporters yesterday that the agreement will now pave way for both companies to start talks with mobile phone operators, Digicel and Telikom, to bring in these world-class services.
“Skylink is pleased to be able to bring this latest technology into the PNG market at this important time when interconnection between the two mobile phone operators has been accomplished,” Mr Iewago said.
Gambit chief executive officer Jerry Biti said PNG’s mobile phone market was growing rapidly and it was timely to provide such services.
“Rather than you going to your PC (personal computer) to access information, you just stay in the house or anywhere and get or access the information you want with your portable mobile phone,” he said.
“We believe we can come live within the next 12 months as long as we work with the networks (Digicel and Telikom).”

sexxiicoolguy (Scape Mod)

Last edited by sexxiicoolguy on July 14th, 2008, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 15th, 2008, 2:44 pm #2

next 12 months... hope Somare and his cohorts don't sabotage the plan...

but good news regardless... thanks scg!

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 29th, 2008, 8:33 am #3

I thought the CEO would have Digicel & telekom in his pocket plus the minister in his pocket before making the announcement...but pngns will always be pngns...counting the chickens even before they are laid down as eggs...to many rotten eggs already.

Nippon Samurai Guru
Nippon Samurai Guru

July 29th, 2008, 4:40 pm #4

Sexiiccoolguy or what ever your name is ...you are the biggest fool in Capital letters I have ever seen in my life. Where are you writing from...PNG or Aussie??! This will never happen in PNG!
Somare has just put the stop to this kind of things...thats what you get when you put Ministers like Arthur who don't have an IT related qualification in charge of Telikom. As the agreement stands Digicel will never continue its expansion of its networks because that responsibility rests with telikom now. Telikom as you know it for the last 30 yrs has been just what it is today. With HF you would need more than what is available right down to microwave transmitters for a viable service. It may be viable for metropolitan POM but I wonder if that would be profitable for Skylink. Please read carefully what Ces Iewago actually said before making things up coz what he said was actually something in a different context and not what you implied in this post.

sexxiicoolguy
sexxiicoolguy

July 30th, 2008, 1:24 am #5

Nippon samarai guru

Here is my email: maxwell.bmaxwell@gmail.com

Iam in POM if you want to meet with me in person ... read BONES earlier Posting on Broad Band Internet

And Remember there is no political border with communication ..we can start anywhere if PNG doesnt want us .. but my guys and i have heart for our ppl back here ..we're PAPUA NEW GUINEAS ...why should we be afraid ..we havent spill blood yet

cheers and looking forward to hearing from you

sexxiicoolguy

kraven
kraven

July 30th, 2008, 3:08 am #6

hey guys, need your help here (that's if you don't mind).

am not a tech-savvy person hence wish to understand how global-roaming for mobile phones work.

i was issued a mobile phone with a service provider that allows global roaming but don't understand how this would work in png? (am presently outside of png)

any assistance/information would be most appreciated. thanks.

Passing By
Passing By

August 2nd, 2008, 7:30 am #7

Don't worry Telikom I think has more than 70 countries in their list of roaming agreement. You could be lucky.

Call them up and find out!

kraven
kraven

August 4th, 2008, 1:17 am #8

To passing by.. Tenk yu turu lo toksave blo you.. I'll try your advice..