"Sanguma Sound"

"Sanguma Sound"

August 6th, 2004, 12:53 am #1

Growing up I went to concerts performed at the open Air theater at the UPNG campus to watch the once upon a time "Magic man of music...Sanguma"

Their Music was awesome and uniquely Papua New Guinean...a sound that PNG could identify with...our land our culture...

I remember the world tour...where the world was stunned by this so-called magic man of music...asking where they were from...Jamaica?? Africa??...

Smoke screens...a play of light...and a beating Garamut..and lone dreaded dancer appears on stage in an hypnotic dance
...chanting..pacing...moving from instrument to instrument...slowly introducing different sounds...could be a electric guitar...a bamboo flut...a kwakumba...the music undisturbed...flowing...not jazz..not funk...not raggae, not pop...just "Sanguma Sound"....twas what they would come to term it as...it was Fussion Music PNG style...This men half dressed in traditional Atir created a hypnotic/trance like atmosphere...the audience treated to a show both theatrical, musical and mystical!!!

Don't let this out...you young PNG musicians...lets create something thats ours...something that captures our tradition...and preserves in so doing...investigate traditional music..the story behind it...theres more to music then just dance and music...it lives...it comes from the inside out...its raw emotion..language of the soul...feel it....its you and me...our identity...experiment with Contemporary music...the world wants something different...something new...and I believe "Sanguma music" can do just that...

Don't let it die!!!

Music
Music

September 17th, 2004, 3:13 am #2

this posting has touched me personally. tru tumas something needs to be done to keep this alive.

music fanatic
music fanatic

September 17th, 2004, 3:47 am #3

Growing up I went to concerts performed at the open Air theater at the UPNG campus to watch the once upon a time "Magic man of music...Sanguma"

Their Music was awesome and uniquely Papua New Guinean...a sound that PNG could identify with...our land our culture...

I remember the world tour...where the world was stunned by this so-called magic man of music...asking where they were from...Jamaica?? Africa??...

Smoke screens...a play of light...and a beating Garamut..and lone dreaded dancer appears on stage in an hypnotic dance
...chanting..pacing...moving from instrument to instrument...slowly introducing different sounds...could be a electric guitar...a bamboo flut...a kwakumba...the music undisturbed...flowing...not jazz..not funk...not raggae, not pop...just "Sanguma Sound"....twas what they would come to term it as...it was Fussion Music PNG style...This men half dressed in traditional Atir created a hypnotic/trance like atmosphere...the audience treated to a show both theatrical, musical and mystical!!!

Don't let this out...you young PNG musicians...lets create something thats ours...something that captures our tradition...and preserves in so doing...investigate traditional music..the story behind it...theres more to music then just dance and music...it lives...it comes from the inside out...its raw emotion..language of the soul...feel it....its you and me...our identity...experiment with Contemporary music...the world wants something different...something new...and I believe "Sanguma music" can do just that...

Don't let it die!!!

c'mon people we got to do something about it! Iam really touched by the above post, anyway I'm not a musican but somebody out there in the music industry or any talented peoples can bring sanguma to live once again and we will all give our blessings and you shall prosper.

happy papua new guinean.

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 17th, 2004, 6:06 am #4

Don't let it die!!!

Thats veyh true. We can see that the young generation of today are flying with the wind adapting and adjusting to the fashion culture. Not long our unique and native culture in PNG will definately fade away as time cross our faces. How can we preserve it. It entirly depends on us as nindividuals. We should be start educating the younger ones and maintain the unique and the most loved culture of the beautiful PNG.

PNG fit natin
Ta!!!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 17th, 2004, 6:15 am #5

Don't let it die!!!

Thats veyh true. We can see that the young generation of today are flying with the wind adapting and adjusting to the fashion culture. Not long our unique and native culture in PNG will definately fade away as time cross our faces. How can we preserve it. It entirly depends on us as nindividuals. We should be start educating the younger ones and maintain the unique and the most loved culture of the beautiful PNG.

PNG fit natin
Ta!!!!

Unclejay
Unclejay

December 6th, 2004, 12:17 am #6

Don't let it die!!!

I am refreshing my shout out to PNG musicians to revive "Sanguma Sounds"...don't let it Die...Pleeeeaaaasseeee

.BONES
.BONES

December 6th, 2004, 1:28 am #7

Don't let it die!!!

I am with you all the way, Unclejay..holla if something pops up.

Icey
Icey

December 6th, 2004, 2:24 am #8

Don't let it die!!!

Very Touched indeed. Sunguma music was no ordinary music. To me it was cleverly organised traditional music written and arranged by the artist using contemporary musical beats, rhythmn, and patterns.

Everyone who would hear it thought it was unique, had so much taste, ....and of ocurse identified PNG on world music charts. Sanguma music is not comparable with any form of music....

PNG musicians.....please revive sanguma music...Reflects true PNG tunes

oi be

BUT SANGUMA USED WHITE MEN MUSIC INSTRUMENT
BUT SANGUMA USED WHITE MEN MUSIC INSTRUMENT

December 6th, 2004, 2:46 am #9

HOW CAN SANGUMA MUSIC BE CLASSIFIED TRADITIONAL, ORIGINAL AND REPRESENT OUR IDENTITY WHEN THE INSTRUMENTS THEY USED WERE ALL WHITEMEN's,FOREIGN AND IMPORTED LIKE GUITARS,KEYBOARDS SAXAPHONES,PIANO,DRUMS,TRUMPET,ORGAN etc....THESE INSTRUMENTS DOMINATE THEIR MUSIC SOUNDS ..ARE THESE INSTRUMENTS TRADITIONAL AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INVENTED AND USED BY OUR ANCESTERS????PLEASE I DONT THINK SO.just because they sing Tokples does not mean thats traditional.CHECK YOUR CLASSIFICATION.

Unclejay
Unclejay

December 6th, 2004, 4:27 am #10

Have you heard their music??

Do you know that they (the band members) actually went out to each of their villages and learnt how the songs came about...the story behind them..etc...and even how to build the instruments..etc..

YEs They do use mordern instruments and to play the music...but have you notice it is totally unique music...the traditional tunes of the songs are maintained through out...the intruments play off chords..behainim neck blo singsing...the feeling is totally different to when listening to music nowadays...the ones that play traditional songs using major chords and some minor and seventh chords placed here and there...the music..(omitted the traditional words) is still western...

Sangumas...music when commented on by Music critics from through out the world...they tried to compare it to Raggae, pop, Jazz, blues, etc....there was none like it...it was a new sound...strong melanesian ethnic flavour and influence...they (the music critics) named it "Sanguma Sound"...

It is contemporary PNG music, fussion music...a merge between the old and new...like todays generation (us)...

There were times when all mordern intruments would die down and a traditional instrument would play whilst a voice would explain the next item...when it was performed in what part of PNG etc...a brief history...the roots of the song...even a dance...

They made a mark on the world...because their music was unique...

I would love to see more PNG musicians venture and experiment with this kind of music...don't take it as an insult..take it as a challenge...you never know...the talent to create this kind of music maybe there...dorment...waiting for you to tap into it...there is a market for it overseas...

proudly PNG..