PNG girls are money lovers

PNG girls are money lovers

Local news
Local news

January 4th, 2003, 11:18 pm #1

Money drives png ladies crazy. Guess what? You can go for the teens age of 14 for married. I know it kinda child abuse, but they dont' care cos money speaks for their survival. If u think I am wrong, right now go to Boroko and look around, you would see some teens there waiting for someone to pick them up for next session.

Therefore, our gals are in era of change.

Bad for our png girls.

Woman
Woman

January 5th, 2003, 1:27 am #2

I didnt read any suggestions on how to prevent or stop this problem..Any ideas?

Freedom..
Freedom..

January 6th, 2003, 9:32 am #3

Remember, Freedom...let young girls rule their life, no hostage attitudes and cagebird minds here!!
Its coming from being primitive culturally.

spakboi
spakboi

January 6th, 2003, 2:15 pm #4

png meris just want to find a white boy. yu'll find them gold digging at every club in POM. they go home with fat, old, disgusting alco's from aus and NZ and all theyre thinking about is money!!!!!

Peacechild
Peacechild

January 8th, 2003, 2:58 pm #5

Money drives png ladies crazy. Guess what? You can go for the teens age of 14 for married. I know it kinda child abuse, but they dont' care cos money speaks for their survival. If u think I am wrong, right now go to Boroko and look around, you would see some teens there waiting for someone to pick them up for next session.

Bad for our png girls.
Indeed PNG is in a transitional stage of statehood and the sweeping forces of globalization are inevitable for PNG as a nation state.

This young girls dilemma is a part and parcel of modernisation. But should we critic and condemn them - they who are our daughters, nieces, aunties, mothers and spouse?

Let us constructively identify means and ways of addressing the issue. What use is condemnation and criticizing to the issue anyway - nothing!

If we have identified this as a dilemma eating into the fabric of our society, we should be concerned to a point of creating a wave to bring attention to the issue on a national plane. Give the alert signal that this is a growing concern that should be addressed sooner and appropriate agencies act to campaign on the issue.

Who will help the preservation of our society if we ourselves cannot help our own society?

I leave this to the thinking community out there to put forward their thoughts of worth in responds.

Peace

PNGScapist
PNGScapist

January 8th, 2003, 4:00 pm #6

Really, does it take 27 years to go through a ‘transitional stage’? Come on, the nation and the people have to get down to the bottom line and find the solutions there.

Girls/aunties/mothers [yes, believe it]/sisters, etc are doing it for certain reasons. You do not have to be Einstein to work out that if you address the reasons for their prostitution, this bane will be minimised. [Being the oldest profession, it has shown that it can never be eliminated completely.]

Are they selling their bodies for food, for money, for beer and entertainment, for the pimps and whoremongers, for fun [nymphomaniacs], for social engineering, as an act of rebellion….for what??? Pin down the root cause or causes and you will make the search for a solution easier.

I have many ideas but let me elucidate a few for now:

(a) Strengthen the family unit, family values, self-respect and community norms. Traditional values (norms) are very useful and effective. Most prostitutes come from broken homes! Social stigma at the family and community level has a way of correcting such behaviour – this is akin to blaming but it works.

(b) The Government must get tough on all parties involved in the prostitution ‘business’. It does not have to waste money and time studying the issue. Easy: Identify a country where prostitution is controlled and minimised and adopt and adapt the mechanism(s). Check out Singapore and Malaysia for starters.

(c) The Government needs to address the issue of employment – and putting food on the table. Too much emphasis is placed on education and educating our females but relatively little is done on the job creation front. Believe me when I tell you that there are some well-educated prostitutes and even student prostitutes! This is a complex issue that ties in with politics and political will and longevity. [This is where the term ‘transient’ applies.]

(d) The education system (curriculum) must be modified to include nationalism and pride. Dignity, respect for oneself and others, and good behaviour need to be emphasised and taught when the kids are ‘malleable’. The cane needs to be brought back to instil respect for elders and the rule of law. A girl who is respectful is likely to heed advice not to go into prostitution. The same argument applies to the respect for law (prostitution is breaking the law). A girl who has dignity and self-respect will not go into prostitution. She would rather beg or take on a menial job.

(e) Personal responsibility and control from male relatives can be effective. Regardless of what others may say or think (re: freedom and dictatorial behaviour), I make it my business to ensure that my sisters do not engage in prostitution. My female relatives know in no uncertain terms my disdain of prostitution and the possible implications on the honour of the family name and by extension the clan/tribe. They would not dare!

[Legalisation and Government control, religion and the church, public shaming and flogging……etc, etc, etc are some things you may want to comment on.]

Peacechild
Peacechild

January 9th, 2003, 8:07 pm #7

Dear PNGscapist,

When I said PNG been in a transitional stage, I was merely acknowledging the stage in which PNG stands in the context of moving from a traditional society to a fully modern society. In that context would you say PNG is a wholly modern state or that PNG is still a traditional society. Transitional in this context was used to depict the crossroads in which PNG is in, between the two ends of the study of the development of nation statehood.

Thank you for your fruitful suggestions with regards to the issue at hand, in which I myself have fully appreciated and am sure that this is a growing concern in our thinking society. I hope other thinkers can follow suit to continue with this discussions other than criticising and condemning the girls and women.

My point was really to stimulate an avenue for such interllectual responses. To redirect the insulting and degrading comments of our womenfolk and for more constructive and positive responses. I am an optimist and can only hope that we at least try to address the problem as best we can given the resouces available to combat such inevitable circumstances in our everchanging society.

Now, over to the rest of you...

Peace

anon
anon

January 13th, 2003, 4:34 am #8

Indeed PNG is in a transitional stage of statehood and the sweeping forces of globalization are inevitable for PNG as a nation state.

This young girls dilemma is a part and parcel of modernisation. But should we critic and condemn them - they who are our daughters, nieces, aunties, mothers and spouse?

Let us constructively identify means and ways of addressing the issue. What use is condemnation and criticizing to the issue anyway - nothing!

If we have identified this as a dilemma eating into the fabric of our society, we should be concerned to a point of creating a wave to bring attention to the issue on a national plane. Give the alert signal that this is a growing concern that should be addressed sooner and appropriate agencies act to campaign on the issue.

Who will help the preservation of our society if we ourselves cannot help our own society?

I leave this to the thinking community out there to put forward their thoughts of worth in responds.

Peace
does it really matter what partner one takes, whether they are old, young, ugly, dark skinned, light skinned or whether they have money. As adults and hopefully these girls are over the age of 18, the decision is their's. The most important aspect is that these women are treated with the utmost respect and the men in return do the same. Who are we to judge what is right and wrong!!!

Brianna
Brianna

January 14th, 2003, 1:24 am #9

png meris just want to find a white boy. yu'll find them gold digging at every club in POM. they go home with fat, old, disgusting alco's from aus and NZ and all theyre thinking about is money!!!!!
Any woman who gives away her bodies or involve herself with men primarily for financial reasons is prostitute.

The best way to stop this is with spirituality education and employment opportunities.

I think that people need to to become more spiritual. If we teach children in their formative years that their lives and their bodies are a gift from God which we should treat with care, pride and respect. This would help to instill all the morals necessary to reduce this trend.

If there are sufficient employment opportunities with wages that allow women to be able to survive on their own they will be less likely to seek out a man primarily for financial reasons because they can provide themselves with the material things they desire.

Also, if more women are able to further their education and find careers or set-up businesses they will become more financially independent and not need men to provide for them.

I also think the police need to be more proactive in prosecuting crimes against women, especially rape and make the penalties for rape harsher. This would go a long way in letting women know that they are valued in society. We need to teach boys to respect women, all women.

Peace
Brianna

png meri
png meri

January 15th, 2003, 4:56 am #10

Bad for our png girls.
i dont know which boroko your talking about because i happen to live there, and thats bull****. yeah some girls get married at young ages, yeah sometimes for money, but that happens all over the world and not just png. For your information, png is also filled with smart young girls who know better than to run around looking for guys who have overflowing wallets, so get your phuckin facts straight before you go around degrading young women of papua new guinea.