PNG Dignitaries

PNG Dignitaries

Carl Mari
Carl Mari

October 15th, 2003, 7:35 am #1

Hi KSI Members,

I had consulted with the Consul General’s Office for possible arrangement for an audience with the PNG Dignitaries for all Brisbane students, but unfortunately, they are not aware of the itinerary of the delegation. They would keep me posted if anything comes up.

However, I have made an alternative arrangement thru the UQ Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International & Development) to have at least two (2) representatives (President or delegate and an additional representative) from Griffith University, QUT, USQ, and PNGTAFE Qld Students Association. This request has been approved, and thus, I request each institution/association to send me the names of their delegates by Thursday (10.00 am – 16/10/03) in order to arrange for their participation.

Please, note that you (student representatives) would be meeting Ms. Janet Elliot of UQ Student Admin. at 3.30pm at the Level 1 entrance to the UQ Social Sciences & Humanities Library (Duhig Bldg 2) to collect your nametags. This is opposite the Abel Smith Lecture Theatre where we had the KSI Convention.

I can be reached on carlmari@hotmail.com.

Regards,

Carl Mari

KSI President

KAMA
KAMA

September 27th, 2005, 2:39 pm #2

We all have a task to play...to save Papua New Guinea.

It is not new that PNG is branded that way; as bad as uncivilized, carnibals, pigs, murderers, and even the worst names you can think of. The simplest reason for that is that our media, especially Post Courier and The National can not keep / throw away such negative news because they want to maximise profit.

On the same token, many people in the world have yet to know about PNG even intellectuals do not know where the hell PNG is located on the world map. Many times, PNGuineans that are travelling overseas have to sweat their guts trying to explain about the country and the good things while the media on the other hand, reveals the bad things. What a contradiction? Countries like Australia and US are still as worse as PNG; take New York, it's filled with robbers and looters and rapists and the list goes on. In Australia, Australians are smiling to the world saying that it's The Australian Way, yet Australia being the only racist nation in the world. Aboriginese are treated badly, other blacks and refugees as well as Muslims are treated harshly. However, they don't put such on the media very often. All they have is the goodies that that have to offer to the world; for tourism, investments and very much, the national image.

PNG has much to offer to the world; being rich in many, many aspects. All we have to do is to create positive image and awareness at the global level which only requires our collective efforts, from; the citizens, government, NGO's, the MEDIA and of course with the use of the most effective tool; the internet. Our very few websites like, PNG Tourism Promotion Authority and the others have come up with some good websites but are still low in quality and the capability of creating a maximum positive image. I am sure PNG is on its way... but our country needs our help - yes from individuals and groups. Despite everything, may God bless this wonderful land.

Olsem liklik tingting blo mi,