More expats required

More expats required

Ex Sumatin
Ex Sumatin

February 21st, 2006, 3:27 pm #1

As the only premier Science and Technology Institution, why aren't we recruiting more expat lecturers, Professors, Assoc. Professors, Dr and such in especially Engineering fields?

People drink for flowing streams not dead seas as is the case now with National Lecturers who have very limited experience in the industries, not prominent in research and development and who do not read wide.

Some urgent changes required or else we'll have half baked people filling up the industry and definitely becoming a liability and unnecessary cost to the private and public sector

wire
wire

February 21st, 2006, 10:17 pm #2

..Its simple..we cannot afford it. The University is struggling to find money to keep it running and talking about hiring expatriates..thats another thing altogether.We are struggling to pay Eurest, maintain the roads, the buildings, the departments, which includes the learning facilities..and talking about hiring expatriate lecturers is well beyond our means. Unless the Government can give enough money every year, its will be possible..but then the Government is also having financial problems of its own...The other alternative probably would be for the University to generate its own income..
The issue here is to do with money...

VanCorshaa
VanCorshaa

February 21st, 2006, 11:06 pm #3

I don't think we need expatriate here, in actual fact we need people with Master and above qualifications to teach at Unitech, NOT Degree holders to teach student to get degree. PNG still needs to take the next step.

wire
wire

February 21st, 2006, 11:23 pm #4

Thats exactly the problemm..we don't have the money to lure such people..whether they are locals or expats...thats why we're settling for first degree holders...

VanCorshaa
VanCorshaa

February 21st, 2006, 11:34 pm #5

As the only premier Science and Technology Institution, why aren't we recruiting more expat lecturers, Professors, Assoc. Professors, Dr and such in especially Engineering fields?

People drink for flowing streams not dead seas as is the case now with National Lecturers who have very limited experience in the industries, not prominent in research and development and who do not read wide.

Some urgent changes required or else we'll have half baked people filling up the industry and definitely becoming a liability and unnecessary cost to the private and public sector
I think, its really a management problem, we are not making use of the amount that is been given, yet we complain about money, and you see all those luxury cars and and those many unproductive employees the Uni is buying and employing. I think the Uni is used to manage huge amount of money and not small amount.

wire
wire

February 22nd, 2006, 12:22 am #6

..VanCorshaa..

Management is one factor..the general cost of living has increased from what it used to be in the past.ie, the buying power of the Kina. One million kina 20 years ago doesn't have the same buying power as it is today. That is why the amount has to increase if we are to maintain or improve the current state of the University's facilities. When the amount doesn't increase, sacrifices will have to be made(Opportunity Cost as they say in business)... We cannot hire an expatriate so we go for the cheaper one who is a first degree holder. We cannot afford chicken so we might go for lamp flaps. We cannot repaint the buildings so we have have to wait some 10 years before painting it...Some areas will be neglected and only the vital areas that is necessary for the running of the University will be considered.
As for the new cars and the expensive employees and the unproductive lot, that is where good management comes in...I once upon a time (and still currently) a anti-Misty Baloiloi supporter....Is he still the VC or??

Jep
Jep

February 22nd, 2006, 3:26 am #7

Wire has hit the hammer on the nail. Highly educated people go "where the money is". If Unitech does not have the money, then where and how will it lure qualified lecturers??. The Government now is financially unstable, and there is no guarantee that there will be massive increases for Unitech from the National Coffers.

The best way, Unitech can sustain itself, is to generate own funds, from fees, etc. I am pretty sure the University Council has the power to impose some fines, fees, etc to raise its own internal revenue, and if so then better make use of it. Generate revenue, and pay for qualified lecturers.

iau
iau

February 22nd, 2006, 3:59 am #8

wire, i'm with you on that one. i'm also a longtime anti-misty campaigner. he is one of those classic examples of someone "leading" but nobody is following. he's got absolutely no idea.
but anyway, that's another story. yeah the uni doesn't have the money to hire expats. in some cases, it's like people will have to get 60-70% pay cut in order to come and work at unitech.
that's why there are so many "acting head of department" titles floating around and no professors.
lucky i already graduated. danm.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 23rd, 2006, 11:34 am #9

Altough schemes in the past have failed, I still think the solution lies with localisation(Home-grown). A more effective, thorough and clear guidelines need to be set.

Guidelines/policy?

Ex Sumatin
Ex Sumatin

February 23rd, 2006, 1:09 pm #10

Well guys, if there is financial and Management problem, it has to be solved immediately.

We should all realize that the bottom line effect is on the poor students who are spending alot to get cheap decades old degree or diploma. In its truest sense, this isn't fair. This is having a detrimental effect on the ability of students to perform and meet the expectation of industries. Lecturers are medium between the student and text books. Only by experience, sound and wide reading + exposure/engagement in Research and Development, will they be able to impact the students learning especially in Science and Technology courses.

By bringing in more expats, they also bring with them their expertise and influence in their field. The University will definitely gain from this both in its recognition, work and influence.

And if you talking about the University making its own money, it will need such expertise to generate interests from the Public and Private sector to invest or engage University.

Some of us intending and doing post graduate studies are doing it in overseas because we don't believe Unitech has the capacity to offer quality education i.e. our money's worth.

Its high time the Government and University Admin should put their politics and act in the best interest of learning.

It surprises me that many overseas universities especially Science and Technology institution are miles ahead in ever aspect of learning and Unitech is no way near. Unitech has to bench mark itself and start improving with the Government's help.

One of the causes of these institution beings steps ahead is because of their staffs they have, their expertise and engagement in R&D.