Labour market not giving us a chance - The National 26 May 04

Labour market not giving us a chance - The National 26 May 04

PNG Patriotic
PNG Patriotic

May 26th, 2004, 4:20 am #1

Labour market not giving us a chance

I HAVE been looking for a job since I completed my degree in Civil Engineering at the University of Technology in 2001 and not yet found a job but have quietly watched the labour industry about the way policies are drawn that actually locked nationals out of employment circles.
It is quite distressing to see that the PNG labour industry has become somewhat an attracting and lucrative venue to foreigners rather then nationals when it comes to jobs within the middle management and management levels, or simply very basic administrative jobs.
Many Papua New Guineans like others and me who have completed adequate level of education are being pushed towards the fringes of employment opportunities while the government is watching without drawing up drastic policies to protect the industry.
With the rise in the cost of living and unemployment this frustrating agenda is not taken seriously especially by the Labour and Employment Department to control the influx of foreigners employed in PNG.
Can the Labour and Employment Department explain to me and many other educated young Papua New Guineans why they are entertaining foreigners by issuing works permits to every Tom, Dick and Harry who applies for one, whether they are qualified or not?
Capital flight is the result of foreigners transferring huge amount of their savings abroad. They do not lose out on anything since their accommodation, transportation, expensive education of their children in private schools, medical bills and airfares are taken care of by their employers.
They enjoy these benefits while the nationals who are equally qualified and or even better qualified than their expatriate colleagues don't get the same benefits. Instead, they live in squatter settlements, catch the public transport, get an annual leave that does not include airfares to their home province and get a lower salary that cannot stretch further to another payday.
In reality, the expenses of maintaining one expatriate annually can be used to employ about 10 nationals.
The Government is talking about poverty reduction, creating job opportunities, etc. These will not be a reality if the Labour and Employment Department is carrying on like this. There are many foreigners who enter to look for jobs using tourist visas organised by the expatriate's friends in management positions, which they are not supposed to do. I doubt that nationals will be given the same opportunity abroad.
PNG labour industry is allowing a lot of Australian blue-collar workers without any restrictions regardless; in reality Australian labour industry will never return the same labour. They are very strict on PNG nationals working in the Australian economy. Even getting a visa into Australia by PNG nationals is now a difficult thing.
Let it be pointed out that the policy of the labour industry is indirectly treating its citizens as second best while it is protecting foreign interests. Many things have changed; PNG has a lot of educated young minds that are not given the opportunity to develop.
There are too many university and college graduates being unemployed. Parents of these students are wondering about the expensive education their children went through and could not even make it into the labour industry.

PNG Patriotic,
Boroko, NCD

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 26th, 2004, 7:37 am #2

Most if not all the labour market from overseas are hired based on experience, experience in the workforce, NOT the fact that one has completed a degree. Although you can't get into the workforce without that particular "piece of paper" it is all about experience, experience, experience.

The government has to come up with a program that allows graduates to obtain work in their particular field as graduates. This is a must and the govt. needs to develop this program either in PNG and more importantly overseas. Anyone that graduates from uni whether in png or other countries is aware that you have to do your time as a graduate for at least 4 years or one will never get a high paying job until this period of time is completed.

Mangi Nating
Mangi Nating

May 26th, 2004, 8:19 am #3

Check out the ads for positions in the Universites in PNG. Nationals are offered half the rates that expatriates get and both have the same qualification requirements. Can someone explain to me why this is the case?

Oh, and the tired one about we need to increase the salaries for expatriates to attract them... well if that was the case and there were equally qualified nationals, what is the justification for 'spending that extra'?

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 26th, 2004, 11:44 am #4

It is not about the same qualifications it is about having the experience and having the experience gained from "hands on", doing your time in the "trenches" as the saying goes. Receiving that bit of paper means nothing unless you can back it up by hands on, learing the ropes, what works, what doesn't, being able to perform and achieve results, all gained by experience.

The higher wages are paid to get ppl into the jobs that have the "experience" and the only way to do that is by paying otherwise why would anyone leave an already well paid job with all the perks already included. Expats leave their own country mainly because the wages are tax free, extra job experience and the added purk of travel experience in another country.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 26th, 2004, 11:44 am #5

Check out the ads for positions in the Universites in PNG. Nationals are offered half the rates that expatriates get and both have the same qualification requirements. Can someone explain to me why this is the case?

Oh, and the tired one about we need to increase the salaries for expatriates to attract them... well if that was the case and there were equally qualified nationals, what is the justification for 'spending that extra'?
It is not about the same qualifications it is about having the experience and having the experience gained from "hands on", doing your time in the "trenches" as the saying goes. Receiving that bit of paper means nothing unless you can back it up by hands on, learing the ropes, what works, what doesn't, being able to perform and achieve results, all gained by experience.

The higher wages are paid to get ppl into the jobs that have the "experience" and the only way to do that is by paying otherwise why would anyone leave an already well paid job with all the perks already included. Expats leave their own country mainly because the wages are tax free, extra job experience and the added purk of travel experience in another country.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 26th, 2004, 11:44 am #6

PNGean
PNGean

May 27th, 2004, 1:32 am #7

Noted!
However, please note the following. Experience doesn't come from the blue and from theoretical studies. One must be given the opportunity to get the necessary exposure and experience. What the oringinal writer alluded to was that, the opportunity is not being given to them. They're overlooked and debased. The Labour Department is and has proven to be diservice to them. That notion was carried right throughout the breath of his case. This is a very telling factor that most of the expats we have in PNG learn on the job. They wouldn't be that competitive in their own countries so they look for easier fields where their own friends can manipulate to accomodate them. PNGeans have proven time and again that they can shine in any field with an affordable wage.

Another PNG Patriot

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 27th, 2004, 3:56 am #8

There is no dispute that pngeans shine and can work equally to any other person from other countries.

Given the chance yes, totally with you on that and for sure companies and the government should take up the challenge and provide a graduate program upon completion of studies.

It would be great if the ausaid program provide funds for ppl to be given the opportunity for Uni graduate training in overseas corporations. Now that would be
fantastic.....

Politix
Politix

June 9th, 2004, 6:59 am #9

Labour market not giving us a chance

I HAVE been looking for a job since I completed my degree in Civil Engineering at the University of Technology in 2001 and not yet found a job but have quietly watched the labour industry about the way policies are drawn that actually locked nationals out of employment circles.
It is quite distressing to see that the PNG labour industry has become somewhat an attracting and lucrative venue to foreigners rather then nationals when it comes to jobs within the middle management and management levels, or simply very basic administrative jobs.
Many Papua New Guineans like others and me who have completed adequate level of education are being pushed towards the fringes of employment opportunities while the government is watching without drawing up drastic policies to protect the industry.
With the rise in the cost of living and unemployment this frustrating agenda is not taken seriously especially by the Labour and Employment Department to control the influx of foreigners employed in PNG.
Can the Labour and Employment Department explain to me and many other educated young Papua New Guineans why they are entertaining foreigners by issuing works permits to every Tom, Dick and Harry who applies for one, whether they are qualified or not?
Capital flight is the result of foreigners transferring huge amount of their savings abroad. They do not lose out on anything since their accommodation, transportation, expensive education of their children in private schools, medical bills and airfares are taken care of by their employers.
They enjoy these benefits while the nationals who are equally qualified and or even better qualified than their expatriate colleagues don't get the same benefits. Instead, they live in squatter settlements, catch the public transport, get an annual leave that does not include airfares to their home province and get a lower salary that cannot stretch further to another payday.
In reality, the expenses of maintaining one expatriate annually can be used to employ about 10 nationals.
The Government is talking about poverty reduction, creating job opportunities, etc. These will not be a reality if the Labour and Employment Department is carrying on like this. There are many foreigners who enter to look for jobs using tourist visas organised by the expatriate's friends in management positions, which they are not supposed to do. I doubt that nationals will be given the same opportunity abroad.
PNG labour industry is allowing a lot of Australian blue-collar workers without any restrictions regardless; in reality Australian labour industry will never return the same labour. They are very strict on PNG nationals working in the Australian economy. Even getting a visa into Australia by PNG nationals is now a difficult thing.
Let it be pointed out that the policy of the labour industry is indirectly treating its citizens as second best while it is protecting foreign interests. Many things have changed; PNG has a lot of educated young minds that are not given the opportunity to develop.
There are too many university and college graduates being unemployed. Parents of these students are wondering about the expensive education their children went through and could not even make it into the labour industry.

PNG Patriotic,
Boroko, NCD
I am an expatriate PNGean..PNGean working overseas. i do not have a piece of paper but I did time in the trenches and had no very little chip on the shoulder about xpats doing jobs in PNG. When I started work, I started in the "trenches", I had good attitude, and even better intentions.

With expats, i have come to realise that all major economies in the world still recruit expats,...USA..China..Australia...UK., countries that are advanced like nobodys business and countries that have a huge population to select from. Expats maybe around for a long time.