How can we develop our country?

How can we develop our country?

M Saweri
M Saweri

February 14th, 2011, 12:03 am #1

Since this is a discussion board for development, does anybody have any ideas on how to get our country back on the road to recovery? I have a plan but i want to see if others are on the page before revealing it. The time frame i give for my plan to work is 20 years at least. Throw some ideas around and maybe some people who decide to contest 2012 will be able to take them to fruition.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 16th, 2011, 8:29 am #2

We need good managers

February 16th, 2011, 11:14 pm #3

We need qualified managers who put the interest of the countries first.
We need ploticians with integrity who would willingly step down as soon as they are implicated of misconduct

This is just the start

...mE

check
check

February 17th, 2011, 10:49 pm #4

We need PNGeans to stop blaming others and work hard in whatever you are doing.

invictus
invictus

February 18th, 2011, 1:08 pm #5

Since this is a discussion board for development, does anybody have any ideas on how to get our country back on the road to recovery? I have a plan but i want to see if others are on the page before revealing it. The time frame i give for my plan to work is 20 years at least. Throw some ideas around and maybe some people who decide to contest 2012 will be able to take them to fruition.
please focus your question.

Its very difficult to answer your question because there are a myriad of things to be done in different sectors.

But if you wanted to boil it down to one thing then it should be law and order and a functioning police force. Our police force is ineffectual and this means that people don't see justice being done and therefore dont feel compelled to behave correctly. That's why we have so much corruption, so much criminal activity and the country's natural order of things keeps breaking down.

M-n
M-n

February 19th, 2011, 7:15 am #6

it's very much simple and straight forward...

it's to do with economics, beginning at the macro (or is it pico and nano?)level (personal and then family and then clan and then tribe and so on...)and then rippling out (nation, world) ...an equal distribution of resources, wealth (a commonwealth?) and the fruits of talents...

Ego, greedy pasin, ...ol disala em bigpla birua blo gudpla sindan. (ol sawe kamapim korapsen, pen na bikpla bagarap)

Yumi kristen kantri, na ol santin Yeshua tiksim yumi lo buk tambu em lo disla fundamental tsol...

M-n

M Saweri
M Saweri

February 19th, 2011, 12:10 pm #7

Ok, so here it is (if this is the second time it's posted sorry internet isn't working well). The whole situation here in PNG boils down to one distinct problem. PNG has no discipline! There is no respect anywhere. (Excuse those of us who are decent). Children don't respect parents, fathers don't respect mothers, families don't respect neighbours, criminals don't respect the law (neither do some policemen). We are a nation at war with itself, Tari and Goilala, Enga and Goroka, etc. We do not respect our country enough to grow. Respect and discipline go hand in hand. Now comes my solution, granted it isn't perfect but it would be effective hopefully, if implimented well, in curbing the law and order situation, the corruption, the poverty, urban drift, to name a few. There are three key areas that will help our situation.

Education
Free universal education to grade 10 at least.
Every single child should be educated, "train up a child in the way he is supposed to go, and when he is old he shall not depart from the path". Part of the curriculum will be learning about respect, there is no respect for teachers and adults in general, and part of it is our education, we try too late to instill in them that respect for adults and others is important. Home life is also an issue, they need to be aware that "hitting mummy" and fighting is not the way to resolve conflicts. We need to instill in them the respect for themselves and others that is so lacking in society today. If we have a universal education system for at least primary school, teaching these things to children, so when they grow up they can make the right choice.

The next step would also be capacity building, sending men and women overseas into specific fields for a specific purpose. Example, mining, we should have our own geologists, engineers, planners, chemists, etc. We should process our own ore, we should refine it ourselves and get the profits, not just the royalties. Oil and Gas reserves have been located, we should not allow processing them until we can do it ourselves, with maybe a few consultants. The profits go into perpetuating the scheme, growing our human resource capacity and then branching into other sectors. We should start with the engineers, after all they are the one's who will mould our future towns and cities.

So now we have kids who will grow up and learn respect, engineers who are learning how to run large-scale mining operations, engineers who are building our sky-scrapers and roads. We move on to #2.

Health
One Doctor at least in every health centre in the country.
Every one in this land deserves a Doctor nearby, the ratio currently is about 1:250 000, and the vast majority of the population are more than 4 hours walk away from a working health facility. Doctors are money magnets, where they go development follows. If we aim to put a capable doctor in every health centre of the country we could reduce, maternal mortality, child and infant mortality, and increase family health awareness, reducing teenage pregnancy, etc.

Reducing unwanted pregnancy will also help us cope with the above education problem. There are far too many children running around the streets of major towns who have a parents that are barely old enough to take care of themselves. Too many bubu's are looking after their bubu's, supporting their family plus extensions. Parents need to be responsible for their own children, teenagers and young adults should be aware of the options of contraception and why it is important, hence education and health form a unit here.

Increasing our health coverage will also boost the growth of new towns and businesses as more people will circulate around these areas. Now we are going to have an educated, respectful, healthy workforce, we move on to step #3

Transport
A 6 lane major highway linking Alotau to Vanimo.
We should have a road network that caters for provincial crossing and goods trafficking. Too many places in PNG are not serviced because the Air-freight is too high. There are too many places that close because there is nothing that can get too them or from. How many times has the newspaper reported that perishable goods cannot get delivered because of the road problems, land slides etc, I know what you're thinking "and you still want to buiild roads?"

A highway that runs the entire length of the country, engineered by our men and women who have trained with the best overseas and built by our people here. We want to build a pathway from here to the village so the services here, goods there, hospital supplies and such can get to where they need to go. We can also upgrade the trans-highway to a 6 lane highway and take it all the way through to Kerema and the Western province. The land used will be provided free-of-charge by the people because of the service delivery it will entail and the jobs that will be generated. After all if they charge us we can move to the next village and offer them the benefits.

So now we have an engineers who are designing and constructing our major road way, less criminals because parents are caring for their kids, and a more respectful environment for the future leaders to grow up in. 20 years may be a little quick but then again, we are talking about a complete overhaul of three major sectors. Which leads us finally to the inevitable question, "So how are we going to pay for all of this?"

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the LNG project 14 Billion Kina annually from 2014.

Anon
Anon

March 3rd, 2011, 10:24 am #8

Doctors are expensive beasts! Wont go to a rural hospital. they want their ipdos, ipads etc etc, Lamana etc

Futurist
Futurist

May 12th, 2011, 8:00 am #9

Ok, so here it is (if this is the second time it's posted sorry internet isn't working well). The whole situation here in PNG boils down to one distinct problem. PNG has no discipline! There is no respect anywhere. (Excuse those of us who are decent). Children don't respect parents, fathers don't respect mothers, families don't respect neighbours, criminals don't respect the law (neither do some policemen). We are a nation at war with itself, Tari and Goilala, Enga and Goroka, etc. We do not respect our country enough to grow. Respect and discipline go hand in hand. Now comes my solution, granted it isn't perfect but it would be effective hopefully, if implimented well, in curbing the law and order situation, the corruption, the poverty, urban drift, to name a few. There are three key areas that will help our situation.

Education
Free universal education to grade 10 at least.
Every single child should be educated, "train up a child in the way he is supposed to go, and when he is old he shall not depart from the path". Part of the curriculum will be learning about respect, there is no respect for teachers and adults in general, and part of it is our education, we try too late to instill in them that respect for adults and others is important. Home life is also an issue, they need to be aware that "hitting mummy" and fighting is not the way to resolve conflicts. We need to instill in them the respect for themselves and others that is so lacking in society today. If we have a universal education system for at least primary school, teaching these things to children, so when they grow up they can make the right choice.

The next step would also be capacity building, sending men and women overseas into specific fields for a specific purpose. Example, mining, we should have our own geologists, engineers, planners, chemists, etc. We should process our own ore, we should refine it ourselves and get the profits, not just the royalties. Oil and Gas reserves have been located, we should not allow processing them until we can do it ourselves, with maybe a few consultants. The profits go into perpetuating the scheme, growing our human resource capacity and then branching into other sectors. We should start with the engineers, after all they are the one's who will mould our future towns and cities.

So now we have kids who will grow up and learn respect, engineers who are learning how to run large-scale mining operations, engineers who are building our sky-scrapers and roads. We move on to #2.

Health
One Doctor at least in every health centre in the country.
Every one in this land deserves a Doctor nearby, the ratio currently is about 1:250 000, and the vast majority of the population are more than 4 hours walk away from a working health facility. Doctors are money magnets, where they go development follows. If we aim to put a capable doctor in every health centre of the country we could reduce, maternal mortality, child and infant mortality, and increase family health awareness, reducing teenage pregnancy, etc.

Reducing unwanted pregnancy will also help us cope with the above education problem. There are far too many children running around the streets of major towns who have a parents that are barely old enough to take care of themselves. Too many bubu's are looking after their bubu's, supporting their family plus extensions. Parents need to be responsible for their own children, teenagers and young adults should be aware of the options of contraception and why it is important, hence education and health form a unit here.

Increasing our health coverage will also boost the growth of new towns and businesses as more people will circulate around these areas. Now we are going to have an educated, respectful, healthy workforce, we move on to step #3

Transport
A 6 lane major highway linking Alotau to Vanimo.
We should have a road network that caters for provincial crossing and goods trafficking. Too many places in PNG are not serviced because the Air-freight is too high. There are too many places that close because there is nothing that can get too them or from. How many times has the newspaper reported that perishable goods cannot get delivered because of the road problems, land slides etc, I know what you're thinking "and you still want to buiild roads?"

A highway that runs the entire length of the country, engineered by our men and women who have trained with the best overseas and built by our people here. We want to build a pathway from here to the village so the services here, goods there, hospital supplies and such can get to where they need to go. We can also upgrade the trans-highway to a 6 lane highway and take it all the way through to Kerema and the Western province. The land used will be provided free-of-charge by the people because of the service delivery it will entail and the jobs that will be generated. After all if they charge us we can move to the next village and offer them the benefits.

So now we have an engineers who are designing and constructing our major road way, less criminals because parents are caring for their kids, and a more respectful environment for the future leaders to grow up in. 20 years may be a little quick but then again, we are talking about a complete overhaul of three major sectors. Which leads us finally to the inevitable question, "So how are we going to pay for all of this?"

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the LNG project 14 Billion Kina annually from 2014.
Everything else can be solved when all major population centres are linked by an effective transport system.

We talk about development, who brings this, how are the materials brought into the undeveloped areas. The answer through roads.

Small business will sprout and grow when roads roll through.
Populations will mingle and intermarry and a nation will be built.

In the old times, huge city states were built at cross roads. Large empires were built along road systems.

We will be a nation when you travel to anywhere in Papua New Guinea as easy as catching a bus from Boroko to Town - FOODFOR THOUGHT.

tears in my eyes
tears in my eyes

May 12th, 2011, 10:18 pm #10

You overlook one small detail - PNG has the most ruggest tropical terrain on earth. Rugged = expense. We simply can't manage it, compared to other nations with much more favourable terrain. When your expenses are unavoidably higher than your competitors, guess who wins? It won't be you, nor will it be PNG if it tries to copycat.

Why do I have to explain the obvious?