Discussions

Discussions

Mangi Nating
Mangi Nating

September 7th, 2010, 9:17 am #1

I understand the moderators need to ensure that this board is not filled with spammers and people who post provocative and stupid things just to get a rise out of others. You must on the other hand consider the vast majority of people who don't do that.

Your decision to have a wait-and-paste policy slows down discussion considerably. I suggest the following compromise.

Allow registered (logged in) users to post 2 or 3 times before granting them access to post directly without censorship, with the understanding (this could be made explicit by an agreement one has to accept by clicking yes) that such access is dependent upon them respecting others on the scape.

This will increase the number of registered users, prevent people from spamming the board and require people to prove their sanity (the 2-3 post requirement) before they can post. Finally this will mean regular users can just get on with it.

How about it moderators? Most of us that post are grown up people, and you can easily weed out the little kids.
Last edited by DeFlash on September 7th, 2010, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello?
Hello?

September 7th, 2010, 11:07 pm #2

We all can not wear two hats at once or to play and umpire at the same time. Fair play and free play can not be enforced by players neither over dictated by the referee and the bunch of off field support and spectators who pay and believe in the game or for any topic of discussion at all be it out of sports too.

Either we loose the benefit of impatient spectators who want the fastest of outcomes or simply tolerate ignorance. Take your pick.

For me I would choose to be the looser this season and come back the next season bigger, better, faster and importantly wiser.

Hello?

September 8th, 2010, 12:47 am #3

MN, I will re read your message then take it up with Wantokz1. Thanks for caring.

7mile

Ralph Hamilton
Ralph Hamilton

September 9th, 2010, 10:48 pm #4

7mile and Hello,
moderating is not the only way to run the railroad. There are many sites that do not have Moderators.

On those sites Trolls and Spammers are easily handled. First you blank them off from your conversation, and then a few of the users disuss what to do. If four or more agree, they then "bump" that person off the site. That seems to work OK.

My argument with this type of moderating is as follows: If you reply to something, and the moderator deigns not to allow that reply, then you never get the "right of reply". Under the old system, you were able to reply. If the Moderator chose to remove it, so be it. By then, the other party had seen and noted your reply. You see the difference, I hope.

Nevertheless, I commend the Moderators. Their work, and devoted effort to look after this site, is exemplarary. Especially you, my love. How, with your busy life, do you keep the effort up?

May the Sun shine lightly upon you?......Ralph.

(Hehe. You may well need it where you live. The other night a Penguin came in and stole my heater....And that is in Brissie.)

September 10th, 2010, 10:00 am #5

Damn I miss the old system,where I can spam all over the forums.But on a serious note ,its good to see you all discussing this issue.Lets hope admin open up a few forums so people can post straight.But the crap/abusive posts have to go

..Peace

Mangi Nating
Mangi Nating

September 16th, 2010, 8:22 pm #6

I understand the moderators need to ensure that this board is not filled with spammers and people who post provocative and stupid things just to get a rise out of others. You must on the other hand consider the vast majority of people who don't do that.

Your decision to have a wait-and-paste policy slows down discussion considerably. I suggest the following compromise.

Allow registered (logged in) users to post 2 or 3 times before granting them access to post directly without censorship, with the understanding (this could be made explicit by an agreement one has to accept by clicking yes) that such access is dependent upon them respecting others on the scape.

This will increase the number of registered users, prevent people from spamming the board and require people to prove their sanity (the 2-3 post requirement) before they can post. Finally this will mean regular users can just get on with it.

How about it moderators? Most of us that post are grown up people, and you can easily weed out the little kids.
I suppose it would be too much to expect some sort of feedback from the moderators. This overly strict censorship will lead to the death of PNGScape as people check back and see that there are no discussions. Discussions need to be free flowing and near as real-time as possible. What moderation does, is it treats a modern medium like an old one. The pace of discussion currently is snail-mail like.

What also sucks - to use the technical term - is that your comments are at the mercy of the moderators. This 'power-fix', even if it is only electronic, can be too much for some people to let go off.

Sad that we have allowed a small, easily rectified problem to lead to this.

Ralph Hamilton
Ralph Hamilton

September 17th, 2010, 12:22 am #7

Indeed MN,
we have done the electronic equivalent, of attaching a racehorse to a dray, or a Ferrari to a plough.

Regards......Ralph.

September 17th, 2010, 5:32 am #8

MN,

Rules are never fair.Fact is we moderators get the heat everytime while admin were the ones who made the rules at the first place.That isn't fair either.I hope that balances things out.Things can be weird like that

Peace...

M-n
M-n

September 17th, 2010, 9:20 am #9

MN, mi agree lo concern blo yu while appreciating the tough job mods have.

I suggest admin consider making it possible for certain boards to be accessed by login accounts. I'm not certain that that may help but traim na yumi lukim.

Mangi-nambis

'Youthful exuberance' can be a 'niusance', but it can be guided/harnessed for some good.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 27th, 2010, 5:53 am #10

I wondered why everything has looked so dead in this place since I first came on. Very useful info.