Curtain Brothers Racist Company

Curtain Brothers Racist Company

Concern
Concern

October 5th, 2011, 6:56 am #1

Curtain Brothers is a racist company having different masses at their workplace. One for Expatriates which eat very good food, whereas us Papua New Guineans eat corn beef, stir fry at Local mass. It is an ingoing matter which needs to be spoken about it

of course.... and why so?
of course.... and why so?

October 9th, 2011, 12:53 am #2

The reason why they do it is because we Papua New Guineans allow it. Isn't that true?

Mangi Nating
Mangi Nating

October 11th, 2011, 8:09 pm #3

If Curtain Brothers is doing this, then this is discrimination and should not be allowed to happen.

I suggest you (or someone that you know) do this. I understand that you will be concerned about your job, so you could give the information to someone else to act on your behalf.

Do the following:

1) Write to the three major newspapers - Letters to the Editor (National, Post Courier and Sunday Chronicle).

Here are the email addresses for Post Courier and National. Post Courier > postcourier@spp.com.pg (2) National http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=contact (You can write directly to them).

2) Email PNG Blog Owners and ask them to write about the topic: Some blogs are those for Malum Nalu (http://malumnalu.blogspot.com/), Masalai (http://masalai.wordpress.com/) and PNG Blogs (http://www.pngblogs.com/)

3) Inform Roger Hauofa of TalkBack on FM 100 to bring on the Senior Management of Curtain Brothers to answer these allegations.

4) Inform the Labor Department - Secretary of Labor and a formal letter also to the Minister of Labor & Industrial Relations. Your letter should include the fact that this is a discriminatory practice that is RACE-BASED and discriminates against native Papua New Guineans on their own land. Curtain Brothers receives contracts from the Government of PNG and yet discriminates against us.

-------------------------------------------------
Department of Labour & Industrial Relations
PO Parliament House
Waigani
Papua New Guinea

Telephone
+675 327 7582
Fax
+675 327 7480
Minister
Hon. Mark Maipakai
----------------------------------------------------

5) Name the Expatriate Manager Responsible for this practice and demand his resignation. Bring this issue up with the Unions. The Papua New Guinea Trade Union Congress has around 70,000 members and is headed by John Paska. Organize and then get in touch with him and bring this issue up with him. Demand the resignation of the expatriate manager and the reversal of this policy of APARTHEID that he has instituted.

*** These are some of the first steps that you can take. I urge you to take these steps and not to let this issue rest until that manager is sacked and Curtain Brothers reverses this policy. The reason they have gone ahead with this policy is because they believe they can get away with it. These expatriates know that our people are not organized and just accept whatever is heaped upon them. No more. Act and work with your co-workers and people outside the company to have this reversed.

Finally, get in touch with someone from one of the newspapers that writes articles - check the Post, National and Sunday Chronicle, get in touch with them and ask them to write an article about this clear instance of racism in a large Papua New Guinean company.

If you do not act and just accept this, then nothing will be done. I have laid out some steps for you to take, now the responsibility is yours to act.

citizen
citizen

October 12th, 2011, 11:06 am #4

Mangi nating,

I like your posting a lot. You know exactly what needs to be done. The only thing I would disagree with you on is regarding the blogs. This fellow will have to write the articbeele himself, then submit it to the blogs for publication. Best that he writes articles for the newspapers too. That waythe story is more likely to be told the way he wants it.

I must say that this has been going on for many years and Curtain Brothers is only the tip of the iceberg. Most of the mining companies have had a blacks side and a whites side to their mess. It looks like the old apartheid South Africa. Those situations occurred in the 1990s and nothing has changed. Hidden Valley mine feeds its Papua New Guinean contract workers different food from the expats. And the Ramu mine? Oh my God. Leave it to the Chinese to do the worst discrimination of all.

Mangi Nating
Mangi Nating

October 13th, 2011, 8:14 pm #5

Hi Citizen,

If he/she can write the articles himself, then fine. It really doesn't matter who does, as long as the information is out there. Unfortunately - and I have seen how many Papua New Guineans approach things -it is very unlikely that our friend will follow the steps outlined. We in PNG have this problem of failing to act for our interests, we may grumble for a few weeks, but when constructive steps to a problem are proposed, we ignore them and go back to accepting the changes however unjust they are. I hope I am proven wrong in this case.

You mentioned that this happens at other mine sites, and I must plead ignorance here, I assumed that since this is our country, we dictate the terms. It is unfortunate that we have allowed ourselves to be treated as second class citizens.

Sadly, we ourselves are allowing the institutionalization of racism and discrimination in the workplace due to our apathy and ignorance.

Mangi
Mangi

November 11th, 2011, 4:14 pm #6

a remember in POM.A freind of mine,a very nice kid) saw an old australian in foodland and called him ,WIGHTman.You know png style.when you see someone you say RIGHTMAN.The old man was pissed and started shaking.My freind didn't know what happened.So he tried to help.All hell broke loose.The old dude nearly had an heartattck or something.The securities ran up and ask what happened.

Kasi was confused.The securities were also confused.My freind still wanted to help.He was like.wightman you okay?hey wightman ,hey wightman you okay?

Then I figure it out.I told him to stop calling him rightman.Later outside I told him he must be a racist.Or maybe he thought we were racists.I don't know.

Actually what my buddy was saying was RIGHTman but because he was what we call short tongue in png.You know like some chinese people.They cannot pronounce the letter R.He cannot pronounced the letter R so he said wightman.That was something.I never really thought about racism as being that serious.

NO respect for many
NO respect for many

November 11th, 2011, 9:46 pm #7

Hi Citizen,

If he/she can write the articles himself, then fine. It really doesn't matter who does, as long as the information is out there. Unfortunately - and I have seen how many Papua New Guineans approach things -it is very unlikely that our friend will follow the steps outlined. We in PNG have this problem of failing to act for our interests, we may grumble for a few weeks, but when constructive steps to a problem are proposed, we ignore them and go back to accepting the changes however unjust they are. I hope I am proven wrong in this case.

You mentioned that this happens at other mine sites, and I must plead ignorance here, I assumed that since this is our country, we dictate the terms. It is unfortunate that we have allowed ourselves to be treated as second class citizens.

Sadly, we ourselves are allowing the institutionalization of racism and discrimination in the workplace due to our apathy and ignorance.
Our apathy and ignorance is due to the fact that, as you pointed out, too few of us are activist like in other countries. Why? Look at our school system for a start, which makes us into obedient little zombies, then look at our pollies who are always saying we have to respect them (no matter how corrupt they are). This business about 'having respect' has been totally corrupted that it allows bad people to get away with anything. I say NO respect unless it's earned!

Em Nau
Em Nau

November 11th, 2011, 10:41 pm #8

When I was working in Ok Tedi years ago, Curtains was also up there and the same practice occured there. Curtains ran their own messes. OTML also had seperate messes: they had one for award workers and another for staff.

In the Curtains messes, they served very good local food and also really good western food (in seperate messes). I had ox n palm with onions and rice in the local mess once and totally enjoyed it. I also ate in their western mess and thought it was better than the OTML mess.

Before I left, the messes where consolidated and everyone ate in the same messes.

The rationale for having two different messes in the early days was about the typte of food servied there, the award mess had mostly local food, taro, kaukau, greens, etc. The staff messes had mostly western food. Even though I was staff, I prefered to eat in the award mess because I prefered our own food.

When the messes were rationalised, the mess would serve both western and PNG food in the same mess so that worked out for me personally. I never liked western food much so that suited me.

I am not sure if it is the same at the Curtain messes here in Port Moresby. Have the workers tried talking to the management to find out why that is so?

their idiots
their idiots

November 12th, 2011, 5:48 am #9

If people want to work in PNG, they can bloody well learn to eat PNG food. China and India would expect their expats to eat their local food, so why do we bend over backwards for expats? Bringing in expensive imported western food all gets charged to us in the long run in the form of lower royalties, etc.

Ralph Hamilton
Ralph Hamilton

November 12th, 2011, 7:05 am #10

No mate,
you are wrong.

Especially in India. Any Hotel or organisation that caters to the western tourists, or workers, serves western food. Money is money, and business is business. Many westerners are very unadventuous in their food tastes, and will not try the local food.

Show me how many expatssin PNg will eat Sak Sak complete with the fried Sago Grubs, or Tapiok with abus. I admit even I cannot eat undercooked pork as the vilagers in the highlands like it. I need to cook mine for a while longer first. If PNg wishes to attract tourists or workers outside the major hotels/Motels/ resorts, it has to cater to their tastes a little.

Money speaks all languages......Ralph.