Conscripted soldiers would help reconstruct infrastructure.

Conscripted soldiers would help reconstruct infrastructure.

Nesian
Nesian

August 10th, 2010, 6:17 pm #1

Every 18 year old after their exams should spend one year by law as an army construct to help their local community. Being a forced recruit will introduce a sense of national pride and encourage discipline.

We need soldiers to fill potholes and clean communal recreational spaces.

Stret Toka
Stret Toka

August 11th, 2010, 6:26 am #2

I think this is a really good idea and you should extend that to the police force as well. It doesnt have to be year 12 only. It could be year 9 or 10 where they take up a trade and get their certificate after 4 years. More detail needed but a good idea in the first place.

August 11th, 2010, 12:57 pm #3

Every 18 year old after their exams should spend one year by law as an army construct to help their local community. Being a forced recruit will introduce a sense of national pride and encourage discipline.

Nesian,

You go from this other post you made:-

"Why not post about the tough subjects, e.g The Papua New Guinean state's proclaimed Christianity is a contradiction within our constitution and a hindrance to better dialogue with our only bordering neighbour which happens to be mainly Muslim OR that tourism has never elevated a nation beyond its current status but merely constricts it's own opinions of itself and how the rest of the world views it (i.e. if you continuously advertise yourself as a nation of Christian reformed cannibals with a penchant for rugby and strange animals, that's all you'll ever be) OR EVEN that perhaps Papua New Guinea should become a republic with a presidential electoral system instead of the archaic Westminster system. " Nesian

to this one about conscripting every man & his dog to the army???

What is it?? full of bull; or 'pinching' other people's words to make out you are really smart?? I wonder!!

How; exactly; is compulsory conscription to the armed forces, to dig holes and fill in potholes, going to make them more "patriotic"????

Mangi Nating
Mangi Nating

August 13th, 2010, 10:00 pm #4

Mum - Just curious, you mentioned in another post that you 'married into PNG' - I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess,(drum-roll)-> you aren't from PNG.

Are you from Australia or some other country? Not that it matters to the discussion, and (to complete my stream of consciousness type of writing that tends to irritate everyone) unfortunately Kumul is the only forum where discussion about PNG matters appears to happen.

And,, to get back to the topic of discussion - Normally conscription is reserved for countries going to war, perhaps a voluntary ROTC type of arrangement might be useful. But the current state of the undisciplined forces does not give me much hope that they will be any use as role models to the youth.

I have a lot to write about and will eventually, I hope, get around to boring everyone to sleep with my ideas.

Hello?
Hello?

August 14th, 2010, 7:10 am #5

Hi

Conscription is a grand idea but fraught with start up risks when the drawing board is pulled out. Seriously we need to integrate our mothers and sisters and God or the Churches on that as key partners or stakeholders in the planning, introduction and direction of conscription.

We wink at investors that come into the country by virtue of their lousy money to spew into the country such that they may be waived from every law ranging from tax to crime all because they got clean and also dirty money to burn... How about that? Have we not learned from Wau and Bulolo Goldfield Harvests, Bougainville and now Ramu Nico? When exported PNG Gold and Copper built Brisbane and Cairns and perhaps Beijing...

For goodness sake, PNG must be the final toilet place on planet earth where investors can slip in and exit anytime any day at will and go on a rampage of our natural resources. Shall we wait for these buggers and all the natural non-renewable resources to be depleted before we do a thing? Hey, hey, hey while I still have some hair on my head as well and some muscle left and my grandchildren not crying yet I pledge my 200% support for conscription.

Not to mention also, we have expansionist neighbours next door on the West and South that are murdering our tribe folks on the other side and if we do not start conscription, our grand sons will be victims, they may be murdered and our grand daughters will be raped, loosing their integrity big time over our coffin boxes because we are long dead and gone.

I will support conscription in every way forward so long as it is well guided and directed properly because we need to protect all our natural resources from the depths of the ocean, our shorelines, our islands, our mountains, our valleys to our airspace and anything else in between that is absolutely owned by our 7 million people. Some of our people can do business but some of us should protect the resources before those rapists come... I salute conscription!!!

For the argument sake, balance and wisdom, I would really love to exchange views with fellow compatriots who oppose conscription in any form and may have a better way out of mentioned woes instead of conscription.

Hello?

M-n
M-n

August 14th, 2010, 11:51 am #6

Hi Nesian,
Before we think about concription or the draft, let's ask about the National Volunteer Service. What happened to that concept and what were its aims and objectives? Is it still around (I think it is though not so much talked about).

Me thinks let's get something to work, or at least try to fix it, before we go shopping (or thinking up) for new stuff. We can't keep on trying new stuff and when they don't work, (or more like we don't know how to work them) we go and try more new stuff...

Olsem sampla pipia blo mi tasol...

M-n

Nesian
Nesian

August 14th, 2010, 5:13 pm #7

Nesian,

You go from this other post you made:-

"Why not post about the tough subjects, e.g The Papua New Guinean state's proclaimed Christianity is a contradiction within our constitution and a hindrance to better dialogue with our only bordering neighbour which happens to be mainly Muslim OR that tourism has never elevated a nation beyond its current status but merely constricts it's own opinions of itself and how the rest of the world views it (i.e. if you continuously advertise yourself as a nation of Christian reformed cannibals with a penchant for rugby and strange animals, that's all you'll ever be) OR EVEN that perhaps Papua New Guinea should become a republic with a presidential electoral system instead of the archaic Westminster system. " Nesian

to this one about conscripting every man & his dog to the army???

What is it?? full of bull; or 'pinching' other people's words to make out you are really smart?? I wonder!!

How; exactly; is compulsory conscription to the armed forces, to dig holes and fill in potholes, going to make them more "patriotic"????
I have let this thread grow so that I could show the poster called 'mum' (can't be sure if anyone is a woman on the internet, let alone a mother) why this is a developmental solution that requires discussion. By the way, I am definitely 'pinching' someone else's idea in my post, these are questions that have been asked before by other states and nations when their standing armies became redundant whether strategically or economically - remember, there is no such thing as an 'original idea', new ideas seem 'new' because they are just 'old' ideas re-contextualised, the problems are the same but the answers dapt.

Anyway, I don't believe that military service should be all-encompassing of society, it should be for all students after completing they're Grade 12 exams and before they become university students or enter the work force, either; ideally for a year before they go on in life, or perhaps more practically, 6 months. After completion of training, students can chose either to remain in the military establishment for further training or proceed onto either academia or employment.

Whilst in this training, students will be thaught self-sufficiency and working as a unit of society through military exercises and civic engagement. The military exercises will be as usual but the civic engagement will involve being sent out to communities to assist in design and construction of vital services, e.g clinics, roads, classrooms, waste management, road works, bridge building, etc... This will be done on a local community by community basis with priority given to remote communities.

This new system of conscription will not interfere with the main purpose of the full time army as these civic projects will be carried out by the students and perhaps newer recruits to our armed forces. It would be easier to implement student conscription as a community service initaitive than a Volunteer scheme as the army infrastructure is already there with a guaranteed budget from the government, this will also mean that the government gives appropriate attention to the financing of our military.

In terms of the students, this will increase their skill levels, instill discipline through military regimen and create a sense of duty to both their country and fellow citizen by engaging with the community. Incentives could be either social, where society views students who abscond as nigh on treasonous, or legal where individuals are not allowed to work or do further studies unless they have done their military training.

I'm not saying our military is perfect, lord knows it's not, but it should still serve a useful, if civilian, function and perhaps endeavouring to contribute by making our future leader into better citizens is an appropriate start.

August 15th, 2010, 8:47 pm #8

Hi

Conscription is a grand idea but fraught with start up risks when the drawing board is pulled out. Seriously we need to integrate our mothers and sisters and God or the Churches on that as key partners or stakeholders in the planning, introduction and direction of conscription.

We wink at investors that come into the country by virtue of their lousy money to spew into the country such that they may be waived from every law ranging from tax to crime all because they got clean and also dirty money to burn... How about that? Have we not learned from Wau and Bulolo Goldfield Harvests, Bougainville and now Ramu Nico? When exported PNG Gold and Copper built Brisbane and Cairns and perhaps Beijing...

For goodness sake, PNG must be the final toilet place on planet earth where investors can slip in and exit anytime any day at will and go on a rampage of our natural resources. Shall we wait for these buggers and all the natural non-renewable resources to be depleted before we do a thing? Hey, hey, hey while I still have some hair on my head as well and some muscle left and my grandchildren not crying yet I pledge my 200% support for conscription.

Not to mention also, we have expansionist neighbours next door on the West and South that are murdering our tribe folks on the other side and if we do not start conscription, our grand sons will be victims, they may be murdered and our grand daughters will be raped, loosing their integrity big time over our coffin boxes because we are long dead and gone.

I will support conscription in every way forward so long as it is well guided and directed properly because we need to protect all our natural resources from the depths of the ocean, our shorelines, our islands, our mountains, our valleys to our airspace and anything else in between that is absolutely owned by our 7 million people. Some of our people can do business but some of us should protect the resources before those rapists come... I salute conscription!!!

For the argument sake, balance and wisdom, I would really love to exchange views with fellow compatriots who oppose conscription in any form and may have a better way out of mentioned woes instead of conscription.

Hello?
Well first of all with conscription,you have no choice.Papua New Guineans will have to serve whether they like it or not.

Hello?
Hello?

August 15th, 2010, 10:27 pm #9

Absolutely,

It is a perfect plan for all our young people if planned, introduced, managed and operated well. In all seriousness it rids our streets with loafers and druggies. It arrests gun runners who are a threat to our daily, national security and progress. We need our young people churned to favour discipline so that they will in turn protect, preserve and extend our natural resources and values for the next generation and a long time.

Or shall we wait until we have 20 million Papua New Guineans, with 5 million uncontrollable youth and then we worry about discipline, attitude versus loss of our resources and opportunities. If the young people be engaged and disciplined early, they will have life skills and will not end up misfits and ill fits to society.

As a parent, it is in order to spend good money on children today so that they are better trained, better schooled, disciplined, equiped well with the right attitudes so that they will inherit and better manage resources come the future.

I salute conscription, our economy needs it now for a better tomorrow...Over to you fellow scapers.

Hello?

A
A

August 18th, 2010, 12:34 am #10

1st point: If we stupidly allow our population to increase to 20 million on land that is steep, landslip prone, soil erosion prone, etc., etc then we're simply being suicidal. Our land cannot support the same population density of other places.

2nd point: you remark "if planned, introduced, managed and operated well." Well you know as well as I do that we're not at the point to do anything 'well' without requiring heaps of foreign assistance. We simply aren't interested in doing things well. Thus, the whole idea is crazy for this point in time. Premature. Unworkable. Maybe 50 years from now, it will be the perfect idea.