Ban on pregnant students at UOG ( Taken from today's Post Courier)

Ban on pregnant students at UOG ( Taken from today's Post Courier)

Post Courier
Post Courier

February 23rd, 2004, 11:07 pm #1

PREGNANT students at the University of Goroka are being kicked off campus to avoid babies distracting other students.
This is consistent with the university’s primary aim of training young single men and women become school teachers in an environment that is conducive to this objective.
Students who have fallen pregnant have been told to leave the campus because dormitories were not built to accommodate children.
Pro Vice Chancellor of the university Dr Musawe Sinebare yesterday confirmed that pregnant students were told to leave the campus.
He said dormitories had cubicles for two single students to share and it would be unfair to the other student if one had a child living in a cubicle.
He said students should know that the university prohibited accommodating pregnant students.
He said this was a regulation that had been in place for a long time, but it had not been enforced by past administrations.
Dr Sinebare said if students wanted to have children, they had to be with their spouses so that they can raise the child.
“Goroka university does not have facilities to accommodate nursing mothers. The dormitories do not have facilities to look after young children. We have facilities for students who are here to study,” he said.
“This is a university which does not encourage students to have babies during the course of their studies.’’
He said pregnant students and nursing mothers can re-apply and come back for studies after making arrangements for their children’s welfare.
He said, however, the university was conscious of its role in promoting the UN children’s charter.
“We’d like to help give the children a proper upbringing,’’ Dr Sinebare said.
He said if students could afford to rent accommodation off campus and come for classes, they could do so, provided children were well looked after.
Student services director Monica Pulsar declined to disclose the number of pregnant students but said that there was “a good number of them”.
Meanwhile, Dr Sinebare said the University of Goroka has enrolled more than 1200 students.
Out of the total, 570 students have been given accommodation on campus, while the rest live off campus.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 23rd, 2004, 11:15 pm #2

Meaning "A Ban on Pregnant Female students at the OUG"

surfah
surfah

February 24th, 2004, 1:28 am #3

PREGNANT students at the University of Goroka are being kicked off campus to avoid babies distracting other students.
This is consistent with the university’s primary aim of training young single men and women become school teachers in an environment that is conducive to this objective.
Students who have fallen pregnant have been told to leave the campus because dormitories were not built to accommodate children.
Pro Vice Chancellor of the university Dr Musawe Sinebare yesterday confirmed that pregnant students were told to leave the campus.
He said dormitories had cubicles for two single students to share and it would be unfair to the other student if one had a child living in a cubicle.
He said students should know that the university prohibited accommodating pregnant students.
He said this was a regulation that had been in place for a long time, but it had not been enforced by past administrations.
Dr Sinebare said if students wanted to have children, they had to be with their spouses so that they can raise the child.
“Goroka university does not have facilities to accommodate nursing mothers. The dormitories do not have facilities to look after young children. We have facilities for students who are here to study,” he said.
“This is a university which does not encourage students to have babies during the course of their studies.’’
He said pregnant students and nursing mothers can re-apply and come back for studies after making arrangements for their children’s welfare.
He said, however, the university was conscious of its role in promoting the UN children’s charter.
He said if students could afford to rent accommodation off campus and come for classes, they could do so, provided children were well looked after.
Student services director Monica Pulsar declined to disclose the number of pregnant students but said that there was “a good number of them”.
Meanwhile, Dr Sinebare said the University of Goroka has enrolled more than 1200 students.
Out of the total, 570 students have been given accommodation on campus, while the rest live off campus.

A thought: With all the money they get from tuition and stuff, why not just build apartments for married students(not for half their relatives, just the married couples and their kids). For the university to ban female students from getting pregnant during the course of their studies is stupid - I mean for married students! Does PNG have some sort of welfare programs for children?

*sorry if I offend anyone, I'm just sharing a lil' thought on this 'coz that's exactly what they do in universities in this country where I am currently residing in. Separate apartments are built for single students and married students, plus welfare programs are provided for the children..it all kinda works out.

meri nating
meri nating

February 24th, 2004, 5:28 am #4

I support surfah on this.
Students should not be dismissed or suspended because of pregancy. This is blatant discrimination! The university (can and I believe) is within their rights to insist that no infant, children or spouces of the student be kept residing in the single student accomodation or in the halls of residence.
I have been a student, pregnant while studying and living on campus and when I had my baby, I had to take my baby home to my parents and return back by myself to complete my studies. That was many decades ago.
The rules haven't changed much.
What needs to be done is for some people to wisen up and see the need to provide housing for married students and for those students who find themselves in unplanned pregnancies. The University administration may not be the only ones responsible for student housing.
Why don't the landlords of the surrounding land around the University Institutions get their act together and put up housing and or Hostel type accomodation for rent to the students. The University and the LandLords (landowners) could work out some business arangements with the banks who give the loan, the landowners give the land for rent and the University supplyies the tenants. Some innovative ideas like this might work for everybodys benefit, student, University, and the landowners.
I am thinking about Goroka, where the Landowners could make money for themselves by getting involved with real estate development using their customary land. They (landowners) could do themselves a big favour.
Others through out PNG who a located around such educational institutions should consider this as a viable proposition.
Students should not be penalised because there is lack of creativity in accomodating a natural occurance, ie pregnancy and marriage.

surfah
surfah

February 24th, 2004, 6:06 am #5

Thankyou for the great thoughts you've shared. I was beginning to fear that the message I was trying to convey across wasn't going to be understood or supported. Mine may sound so simple but your response clearly says it all.

Could not have been said any better
Could not have been said any better

February 24th, 2004, 6:32 am #6

Meaning "A Ban on Pregnant Female students at the OUG"
BEING pregnant is a mighty big burden for any young woman. To be kicked out of your accommodation and forced to consider giving up your education is imposing a huge cross on that burden.
The University of Goroka has its own rules and regulations to enforce life on its mountaintop community of students and lecturers.
It says that one of those rules has not been enforced and is now about to be imposed.
That is the rule which says pregnant students must go away from the campus to live.
Of course such an enforcement is prejudicial to the rights of women. A logical conclusion for some of the pregnant students is that their education will be either curtailed or delayed by such an action.
Most students rely on the government scholarship or hard pressed parents to stay alive, and those costs will not cover commercial rent in town.
Of course there is the argument that it is the student’s fault for getting pregnant. But that is being harsh on young women, often living away from home for the first time and subject to the inevitable growing up pressures.
Once upon a time, the Goroka campus had accommodation for couples. What has happened to this housing?
Why should young women be made to bear the double penalty of unplanned birth and cancelling of their right to an education and a career in teaching.
This sort of thing is happening at a time when the authorities are in theory giving their blessings to the concept of women being recognised and given all opportunities to progress in education.
Let us hope that somebody in authority will relent on this harsh decision and find a way for the women students to give birth and stay at the university.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liberal
Liberal

February 24th, 2004, 11:22 pm #7

As a father, I do not want my daugheter to fall while studying. It would certainly have an adverse impact on her studies.

As a father, a baby should be raised in the right environment. A uni room is not suitable for raising babies.

My advice to daughters in school is avoid sex but if you can't avoid it, avoid pregnancy. Safe period is 5 days before and after menstruation. Remember that and avoid pregnancy if you can't avoid sex.

Charles
Charles

February 25th, 2004, 2:28 am #8

The big question is who is getting pregnant. Is it the married couples or single students. I believe the university accepts both married and single students. Married couple are accepted depending on the availability of family accommodation. But for single students, precaution is the highest priority, in this case, unprotected sex, has liberal has expressed. A single mother in nursing a baby will not concerntrate on studys, disturb other students + the walfare of the child will be endangered.

I believe it will be better if the students return home and leave their children with the parents and continue their study or otherwise evacuate. Lets not nag. Face the reality, prevent it from happening if you know that it will take years to solve it.Im not taking sides, but the decision comes through lines of commands and to reverse the procedure is a double time.

cheers

Sale.

Shaz
Shaz

February 25th, 2004, 3:50 am #9

Very true but then again it takes both the mama and the papa to make the baby so both should be equally asked to vacate. Unfortunately the mama is usually left holding the baby so where is there fair treatment?

liberal
liberal

February 25th, 2004, 6:11 am #10

The big question is who is getting pregnant. Is it the married couples or single students. I believe the university accepts both married and single students. Married couple are accepted depending on the availability of family accommodation. But for single students, precaution is the highest priority, in this case, unprotected sex, has liberal has expressed. A single mother in nursing a baby will not concerntrate on studys, disturb other students + the walfare of the child will be endangered.

I believe it will be better if the students return home and leave their children with the parents and continue their study or otherwise evacuate. Lets not nag. Face the reality, prevent it from happening if you know that it will take years to solve it.Im not taking sides, but the decision comes through lines of commands and to reverse the procedure is a double time.

cheers

Sale.
I was speaking about single daughters. Those who are married may still follow the proposals I have made, but if you must have a child, until the University is able to provide proper accommodation, for the sake of other students, be prepared to leave it at the right environment outside of campus.

Otherwise, pinisim skul pastaim em bai raid olgeta.