Abolish Chief Secretary Position

Abolish Chief Secretary Position

meri nating
meri nating

May 30th, 2008, 4:52 am #1

THe office of the Chief Secretary is an unneccessary creation by the Skate government. That has caused a lot of confusion amongst the carreer public servants whose line of authority goes to the Department of Personnel Management and the Public Service Commission. Since the creation of that office, the Department of Personnel Management has been bypassed on many perssonel and management issues.

The call by Minister Peter O'Neil to abolish this post is welcommed. I know that Peter O'Neil was a key member of the Skate government when the decision to create that office was made. Why he is making the call to abolish this position is very interesting. Could it have something to do with Mr. Isaac Lupari's cause for suspension and expulsion from that chair?

The first Chief Secretary was Mr. William Dihm, then comes Mr. Robert Igara and followed by Mr.Joshua Kalinoe and Mr. Issaac Lupari.

Those people were hand picked by the Chief Executive of the day. William Dihm and Robert Igara were apointed by the Skate and Morauta government and Joshua Kalinoe and Issaac Lupari by the Somare lead government.

The merit based appointment law was not yet in place when the first two Chief Secretaries were appointed. However, the Somare government may have been gulty of breaching the merit based appointment law when the last two appointments were made (well most definitely in the Isaacc Lupari case anyway).

I support the move to abolish this office. The incumbants have proven to be more amenable to being personnal executive officers of the Chief Executive and finding it very hard to excercise independance and impartiality in serving the interest of the country.

'meri nating'

.Neo
.Neo

June 2nd, 2008, 2:38 am #2

There are too many orgnaisations and deparments and vice-positions(ministerial) that are jsut duplicating the process of established statutory organisatons. These just creates a bureacracy headacehs and also a waste of tax payers money to further have jobs for the boys for the current Chief Executive and his cohorts.
Bigpela expample is Petromin, i just want to see the Petromin Act, is that really that hard, who do i have to pay to access this documents and many more others?
And i am wiling to pay, for the cost of ignorace is to great to let these matters just be swpet under the carpet.