Christianity should be studied in History class at school

Christianity should be studied in History class at school

December 31st, 2010, 2:30 am #1

"It is a fascinating story of how an obvious mythology, built on a book without scientific credibility and demonstrably based on cobbled-together pieces of previous mythologies, has survived via political allegiances, ruthless suppression of science and brutal rule.

Our Western morality did not come from Christianity.
It is basically the result of our humanness.
It has emerged partly from principles established millennia before Christianity such as the Egyptian Book of the Dead (from which the 10 Commandments were adapted).
It has also emerged from the persistence of rational human beings objectively exploring the world around them (despite their persecution by the church).

The best estimate is that the Christian mythology has set science, humanity and medicine back at least 500 years. The marginal gains from the benevolent (and worthy) efforts of some Christians pale in comparison with where humanity would be today had we not been deceived and suppressed for so long.
This is what should be taught in history classes."

Source: Peter Bycroft, The Australian 31 December 2010

I like this guy

RAmen,

Chris

Ephesians 5:22-24 rocks!

December 31st, 2010, 2:59 am #2

He sounds very scholarly. Do you think that we'll be able to overcome the setback?

December 31st, 2010, 3:12 am #3

When we have managed to outgrow religion.

What difference do you between Christianity and Islam on this?

Chris

December 31st, 2010, 4:24 am #4

"It is a fascinating story of how an obvious mythology, built on a book without scientific credibility and demonstrably based on cobbled-together pieces of previous mythologies, has survived via political allegiances, ruthless suppression of science and brutal rule.

It has emerged partly from principles established millennia before Christianity such as the Egyptian Book of the Dead (from which the 10 Commandments were adapted).
It has also emerged from the persistence of rational human beings objectively exploring the world around them (despite their persecution by the church).

The best estimate is that the Christian mythology has set science, humanity and medicine back at least 500 years. The marginal gains from the benevolent (and worthy) efforts of some Christians pale in comparison with where humanity would be today had we not been deceived and suppressed for so long.

I like this guy

RAmen,

Chris

target to shoot...I guess I am one of the Very lucky ones that Feel the presence of the Lord.

I suppose for the poor souls that can't figure it out the only way to stay sane is to deny....no don't be thinking you are any saner than me because of it.....truth is relative to the holder.

December 31st, 2010, 4:36 am #5

'Cos I don't know for sure - although I strongly suspect that there is no deity.

What do you think of the author's thoughts on how Christianity has been down on science as a potential competitor?

I'm sure that you won't be as flippant as John.

Chris

December 31st, 2010, 4:44 am #6

target to shoot...I guess I am one of the Very lucky ones that Feel the presence of the Lord.

I suppose for the poor souls that can't figure it out the only way to stay sane is to deny....no don't be thinking you are any saner than me because of it.....truth is relative to the holder.
...objectively aren't there (i.e., hallucinates), unfortunately all too often turn out to be anything but sane, proving that sometimes truth isn't "relative" at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination

Steve

December 31st, 2010, 11:12 am #7

I like this guy

RAmen,

Chris

But why not have our kids study christianity in conjunction with a rundown of the other popular religions beliefs and their effect s on our daily lives. That way our kids would know to say happy honika to a jewish man, or know not to buy a xmas present for a Jahova witness because they dont celebrate xmas.
Our kids should know the difference in christian belief of a one god & jesus compared to the trinity , father son & holey ghost belief of catholics.

And last but not least a comparison of religions on the end of time or revelation issue. Thats where things really get interesting and the fire & brimstone and eternal damnation of one religion does not exist within some others.

The more i study christianity I realise how belief in hell & damnation has become more important to the religion than belief in god himself.
Christy

December 31st, 2010, 12:13 pm #8

You have tracked Beagle **** in to our forum.

So tell me about Luck and how it relates to the Lord.

OKB

December 31st, 2010, 1:31 pm #9

I like this guy

RAmen,

Chris

http://www.livescience.com/history/0807 ... endel.html

Seems scientist didn't recognize Mendel, not that Mendel didn't recognize science.

The importance of Mendel's work wouldn't be recognized for another 40 years, well after his death. The monk's relative obscurity in scientific circles meant that few institutions took notice of his original published results. His forgotten papers resurfaced only after further work in genetics began to make some sense of his then-unconventional theories.

At the end of the day or beginning it becomes a bit of a bore to be constantly referred to as a believer of myths.

But that is my lot

1 Corinthians 1:24-26

but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;

Last edited by BuyMyJunk on December 31st, 2010, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 31st, 2010, 2:18 pm #10

...objectively aren't there (i.e., hallucinates), unfortunately all too often turn out to be anything but sane, proving that sometimes truth isn't "relative" at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination

Steve
BS steve,you don't know do you,but you believe in the negative...