What is considered high stim cycle? Meds?

What is considered high stim cycle? Meds?

Holly
Holly

July 20th, 2012, 7:20 pm #1

Thanks everyone for your responses. Helped greatly. What's considered high stimulation? I looked through my calendar for this potential IVF cycle and this is what they have for my meds:

Microdose Lupron = 40 mcg = 0.1 mL = 10 U injections (starting Aug. 4th - 13th)
Follistim 450 IU/Menopar 75 units SQ (starting Aug. 6th - 13th)

July 20th, 2012, 7:51 pm #2

That would be considered high stim, yes.

July 20th, 2012, 8:23 pm #3

Thanks everyone for your responses. Helped greatly. What's considered high stimulation? I looked through my calendar for this potential IVF cycle and this is what they have for my meds:

Mine was BCP, 450 gonal F and 75 menopur.

How many follicles have they measured for you?

Holly
Holly

July 20th, 2012, 8:49 pm #4

Not started cycle yet but they've meaured on past ultrasounds 9 folli's total. 5 on right 4 on left. What do you think about using high stims with high FSH and low AMH levels?

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

July 20th, 2012, 8:49 pm #5

High, moderate & low stim levels are somewhat subjective, so opinions will vary.

Here's my personal opinion:
Low would be under 300 iu FSH
Moderate would be 300-375 (possibly extending up to 400?)
High would be approx 400 and above

Your dosage was 525 (450 from follistim + 75 from menopur). That is high. But keep in mind that higher doses like this are often prescribed on lupron protocols to offset the supressive effects of lupron. Everybody's different in their response to various protocols, but if you didn't respond well to your microdose lupron protocol, there are others to try, most of which would involve low to moderate FSH doses.

Some possible alternative protocols:
Antagonist (with or without priming)
Femara (or clomid) + injectibles

jkl
jkl

July 20th, 2012, 9:24 pm #6

For my high stim I did 600 IU. For my lowish stim I did about 150-200IU. I would be concerned about that protocol because that is a typical protocol for standard FSH patients (although with higher doses of stims). Most high fsh patients do not do well on this protocol. I never tried lupron because I was afraid of it. Typically, high fsh patients do well on an antagonist protocol (stims and then ganirelix to prevent ovulation). Your FSH is not that high so you may be ok but it is similar to mine (although I had a lower afc).

Maybe you can go and talk about alternative protocols. Sometimes they just want to do this one first and then they will try others, but I think that could be a waste of time and money. My strategy was to do as many cycles as possible to maximize my potential of getting a good egg. So I went to a cheap convenient clinic where I could do a lot of cycles. Luckily it only took 2. Tough decisions I know.

jkl

July 20th, 2012, 10:21 pm #7

Not started cycle yet but they've meaured on past ultrasounds 9 folli's total. 5 on right 4 on left. What do you think about using high stims with high FSH and low AMH levels?
I trust the doctors at SRM to use the protocol they think will work best for you. I remember discussing protocol options with my RE and he was open to ideas.

I started with a measurement of 6 follies, my FSH was really good but my AMH was super low. At retrieval I got 6 eggs first time and 4 eggs the second time. The RE was concerned that I may not have many eggs to even make it to retrieval. I didn't know the difference between high and low stim protocols when I cycled.

If I were you I would call the RE and even pay for a consultation to discuss using low stims. Then I would go with what they recommend for you.

Other ladies on this board really think low stims are better. It makes sense not to use any more drugs than you have to.

Holly
Holly

July 21st, 2012, 1:30 am #8

Raindrop:

Thanks for the info. Can I ask you real quick what your numbers were? Also, did you have luck at Seattle Reproductive? I'm currently seeing Dr. Paul Lin there.

Thanks,

Holly

Holly
Holly

July 21st, 2012, 1:32 am #9

Sorry, I didn't see your message on my first post concerning you beautiful baby boy!

July 21st, 2012, 2:10 am #10

Raindrop:

Thanks for the info. Can I ask you real quick what your numbers were? Also, did you have luck at Seattle Reproductive? I'm currently seeing Dr. Paul Lin there.

Thanks,

Holly
My FSH was 8.5 and my AMH was .40. My AFC was 6. He was my doctor as well. If you cycle with them you will work with several doctors though. I really believe he knows what he's talking about. I was three years older than you when a cycled so that makes a big difference. He was always concerned about my age and egg quality.

And yes I had a baby boy via DE and he is just perfect.

Confirmation of reply: