What do you guys think - Better doctor or cheaper clinic?

What do you guys think - Better doctor or cheaper clinic?

Holly
Holly

August 13th, 2012, 3:54 pm #1

Hi Guys:

Sorry I keep posting but I love the feedback. It's really helped me make some crucial decisions. We're going forward with Dr. Hesla at OR due to their track record and overall success rate for women in my predicament - DOR. Just curious what all your thoughts are on what takes more precedence? Better doctor or cheaper clinic? OR is considered "out of network" for my insurance policy (have lifetime $40,000 for IVF - I know WOW!) so there will be additional out-of-pockets expenses that we will accrue. Probably means we won't be able to afford as many cycles but maybe that's not of consideration if you do it right the first time.

Thanks for everything you guys! You've been great!

Holly

MIR
MIR

August 13th, 2012, 5:21 pm #2

If I were at your age with your numbers, that is whom I'd be cycling with. His skills, and most importantly his lab, are way above any local clinics in the Pacific Northwest. I am originally from PNW and I have friends who cycled at different clinics multiple times, they just don't even come close.

Would two failed cycles be more expensive or one successful cycle? Go to Dr. Hesla when you still can, or when you end up in my situation, you will have no choice but to fly down to my SoCal clinic EVERY MONTH and pay entirely out of pocket. I sort of regret not cycling with Dr. Hesla in early 2011 because of insurance issues, I wasted a whole year and lost my uterus.

August 13th, 2012, 5:27 pm #3

Hi Guys:

Sorry I keep posting but I love the feedback. It's really helped me make some crucial decisions. We're going forward with Dr. Hesla at OR due to their track record and overall success rate for women in my predicament - DOR. Just curious what all your thoughts are on what takes more precedence? Better doctor or cheaper clinic? OR is considered "out of network" for my insurance policy (have lifetime $40,000 for IVF - I know WOW!) so there will be additional out-of-pockets expenses that we will accrue. Probably means we won't be able to afford as many cycles but maybe that's not of consideration if you do it right the first time.

Holly
You are really lucky to have any insurance coverage for fertility treatments. If you are happy with ORM and they have good results I would throw the money at them even if it costs you a bit more. Then you will know you gave it your best try with them. Also, if you get a baby you will not care that you spent more. Some of this stuff is so hard to know because you haven't done an IVF cycle before so you don't know how well you will respond.

At the same time maybe think in the back of your mind what will you do if the cycles with them do not work. I came up with a game plan with an overall budget as to how much I was willing to spend to take home a baby with my OEs first and then how much I was willing to spend using DEs.

Jamie
Jamie

August 13th, 2012, 11:40 pm #4

Hi Guys:

Holly
Once you hit 40 you are on the clock . . . you want to give yourself the very best possible chance to have success. One wise poster once said that she would have many more years to make money but only possibly a few to make good eggs.

You may want to see if you can cut a deal with ORM. I think that sometimes multiple cycles can be negotiated.

Confirmation of reply: