Using "extra" amount in follistim pen - help with unit measurements

Using "extra" amount in follistim pen - help with unit measurements

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

February 21st, 2012, 8:33 pm #1

Hi All,

I am using an .5 ml syringe to pull out the last "extra overage" in the follistim pen.

(It has an orange cap and I think is used for insulin usually - the pharmacy gave it to me. It is skinnier than the follistim cartridge.)

There are two units on the syringe. One side reads .15 ml's and the other 15 units.

How does that equate to follistim iu's? I am taking 150 iu's of follistim each night. Sure doesn't seem like a full 150 iu's of follistim.

Thank you for the guidance. I can't remember how to do this.

lucy999
lucy999

February 21st, 2012, 10:20 pm #2

Are you cycling, glad to see you on the boards. Been a while.

February 21st, 2012, 10:54 pm #3

Hi All,

I am using an .5 ml syringe to pull out the last "extra overage" in the follistim pen.

(It has an orange cap and I think is used for insulin usually - the pharmacy gave it to me. It is skinnier than the follistim cartridge.)

There are two units on the syringe. One side reads .15 ml's and the other 15 units.

How does that equate to follistim iu's? I am taking 150 iu's of follistim each night. Sure doesn't seem like a full 150 iu's of follistim.

I have it written down. I figured out what the 75iu equivalent would be. I did it for the gonal F multidose vial though....so don't know if that would be similar. I took the syringe they give you that is marked for fsh level and using water, matched that up to the equivalent on the lupron or insulin syringe. I can post that later tonight. Not sure it it would transfer to the pen though...since that might be different than the multidose vial.

xoxo, Tracy

summerwind03
summerwind03

February 21st, 2012, 11:22 pm #4

Hi All,

I never worried too much about being that accurate, as it didn't seem to matter much to my response. So try not to stress too much if you don't get it exactly right!

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

February 22nd, 2012, 12:50 am #5

Are you cycling, glad to see you on the boards. Been a while.
Yeah, it's a Hail Mary if I've ever seen one. I'm 45 now so it's a long, long shot x 1,000. But, heck, I'm always the optimist. Go figure.

Thanks for saying Hi. How are you doing? Fill me in on life. I'd love to get caught up.

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

February 22nd, 2012, 12:51 am #6

I have it written down. I figured out what the 75iu equivalent would be. I did it for the gonal F multidose vial though....so don't know if that would be similar. I took the syringe they give you that is marked for fsh level and using water, matched that up to the equivalent on the lupron or insulin syringe. I can post that later tonight. Not sure it it would transfer to the pen though...since that might be different than the multidose vial.

xoxo, Tracy
I looked and looked online but I can't find anything that matches follistim iu's to the syringe units.

Thank you so very much! Being self-pay I need all that precious liquid that I can get.

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

February 22nd, 2012, 12:52 am #7

I never worried too much about being that accurate, as it didn't seem to matter much to my response. So try not to stress too much if you don't get it exactly right!
As long as I'm in the ballpark this 45 year old body probably won't care. Thanks so much, summerwind. CD7 u/s and b/w tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

February 22nd, 2012, 1:12 am #8

I looked and looked online but I can't find anything that matches follistim iu's to the syringe units.

Thank you so very much! Being self-pay I need all that precious liquid that I can get.
I sent myself an e-mail reminder. I'll be home in a couple of hours. I know where it is. It is on a post it note on top of my gonal F multi dose carton. At least it will give you a guide.

xoxo, Tracy

February 22nd, 2012, 3:13 am #9

My note says 1.5 on lupron syringe (the little one with the orange cap)is just over 75 FSH on Gonal F FSH syringe. Keep us posted on how the cycle goes!

xoxo, Tracy

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

February 22nd, 2012, 12:49 pm #10

I may be checking in again! Thank you, thank you. I went in for u/s and b/w this morning. Waiting for b/w numbers. As expected, those 8 antrals became 3 follicles. For me, that was completely expected.

1 16mm on right
1 14 mm on right
1 14 mm on left

I am not displeased at all. We'll see what the numbers look like. And we are with a new clinic for us so I don't know what their approach will be to retrieval.

Confirmation of reply: