Update on IVF #4

Update on IVF #4

di_nyc
di_nyc

May 9th, 2012, 5:17 pm #1

So I just finished my latest cycle last week, with the best results yet: 5 eggs retrieved, all fertilized, all still in good shape on day 3, and 4 out of 5 blasts made it to freeze (2 grade 1, 2 grade 2). I was so surprised when they told me that I think I literally said something like "I can't f---ing believe it"!

The protocol was exactly the same as the last two times, Femara + FSH + HGH + Ganirelix (except I didn't mess up and forget any doses of Femara this time!):

5 days of Femara (5mg/day starting on CD3)
4 days of FSH (300IU on CD5-6, 150IU on CD7-8, none with trigger)
3 days of Ganirelix (CD7-CD9)
8 days of HGH (Omnitrope .5mL/day, CD3-CD9)

I stimmed for a total of 6 days, from CD3-8, and triggered on day 9, with retrieval on CD11. I was worried about not stimming for long enough but my doctor's theory is that the HGH sped things up a little, and it doesn't seem to have negatively affected embryo quality in this case.

Unfortunately I'm still having post-retrieval complications--a different than usual quality of soreness around ovaries when pressure is applied to the abdomen plus UTI-like bladder symptoms, neither of which are improving or going away. 3 days of Macrobid followed by 2 of Levaquin (so far) haven't had any effect and my ovaries and bladder looked okay on an ultrasound, so I have to go see a urologist tomorrow. I'm just praying the doctor who did my retrieval--who was NOT Dr. T.--didn't do any kind of serious or permanent damage to my bladder or reproductive organs, but I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful that whatever is causing these symptoms will heal with time, and focus on being happy about getting all those blasts!

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

May 9th, 2012, 5:37 pm #2

You must be so psyched! We Dr. T patients are cookin'!

Re: your post-retrieval infection. I'm really sorry to hear about this. I wanted to let you know that I have a friend and fellow Dr. T patient who had a similar experience with a weekend retrieval by the other (substitute) doctor in March. Wierd infection, more uncomfortable than other retrievals, took a month off from cycling to recover from the experience. I thought my friend's infection was a one-off freak thing, but now that you had difficulty too, I'm starting to worry about the other doc's surgical technique. In my friend's case, she was instructed to take Monistat (even though it wasn't a yeast infection, per se). She said it went away, but I haven't touched base with her since she told me the story.

Poor Dr. T deserves a weekend off now and again, but I have to say that the other doc doesn't inspire the same confidence.

May 9th, 2012, 5:57 pm #3

Thank you so much for telling me that! I'd be interested to hear any further details, and will post about whatever I find out about what's going on with me. It makes me feel better that whatever was wrong with your friend apparently cleared up and hopefully she is able to successfully cycle again.

I was also giving the other doctor the benefit of the doubt because I know accidents can happen to even the best surgeons and sometimes the bladder/ovaries/uterus are just in a weird position, but now I'm not inclined to let her do anything more than an ultrasound on me ever again. I'm glad a third doctor just started there so that even if Dr. T is unavailable for any of my future retrievals, there's another option.

May 9th, 2012, 6:11 pm #4

So I just finished my latest cycle last week, with the best results yet: 5 eggs retrieved, all fertilized, all still in good shape on day 3, and 4 out of 5 blasts made it to freeze (2 grade 1, 2 grade 2). I was so surprised when they told me that I think I literally said something like "I can't f---ing believe it"!

The protocol was exactly the same as the last two times, Femara + FSH + HGH + Ganirelix (except I didn't mess up and forget any doses of Femara this time!):

I stimmed for a total of 6 days, from CD3-8, and triggered on day 9, with retrieval on CD11. I was worried about not stimming for long enough but my doctor's theory is that the HGH sped things up a little, and it doesn't seem to have negatively affected embryo quality in this case.

Unfortunately I'm still having post-retrieval complications--a different than usual quality of soreness around ovaries when pressure is applied to the abdomen plus UTI-like bladder symptoms, neither of which are improving or going away. 3 days of Macrobid followed by 2 of Levaquin (so far) haven't had any effect and my ovaries and bladder looked okay on an ultrasound, so I have to go see a urologist tomorrow. I'm just praying the doctor who did my retrieval--who was NOT Dr. T.--didn't do any kind of serious or permanent damage to my bladder or reproductive organs, but I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful that whatever is causing these symptoms will heal with time, and focus on being happy about getting all those blasts!

I wonder if it was the HGH? Congrats on the frozen blasts!!

xoxo, Tracy

May 9th, 2012, 6:21 pm #5

Thank you so much! I think Dr. T would probably attribute some of it to the HGH as he's been having a lot of success with it, and I believe it's probably helped me, but I think this was just a good month because I've done the exact same protocol 2 times before with varying results.

LadyG
LadyG

May 9th, 2012, 6:22 pm #6

Congrats on those blasts!! Will you do an FET later?

It's taken me a lot longer to get over my retrieval this time, I am bloated and sore, but getting a little better each day. I'm sorry you are having such trouble. I hope they get to the bottom of it soon.

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

May 9th, 2012, 6:27 pm #7

Thank you so much for telling me that! I'd be interested to hear any further details, and will post about whatever I find out about what's going on with me. It makes me feel better that whatever was wrong with your friend apparently cleared up and hopefully she is able to successfully cycle again.

I was also giving the other doctor the benefit of the doubt because I know accidents can happen to even the best surgeons and sometimes the bladder/ovaries/uterus are just in a weird position, but now I'm not inclined to let her do anything more than an ultrasound on me ever again. I'm glad a third doctor just started there so that even if Dr. T is unavailable for any of my future retrievals, there's another option.
Interesting about the additional new doctor - I hadn't heard that!

The one who did your retrieval did a saturday ultrasound for me. Bedside manner was friendly, seemingly helpful/informative, but there was something about the repeated measuring and remeasuring of my follicles that just made me really feel a lack of experience. In the end, Dr. T was called on the phone for a judgement call on next steps (whether to trigger or not that day), so I didn't have any complaints, since he still weighed in, even while out of the office.

Re: my friend's ER experience: she felt uncomfortable because the doc/nurses had a whole conversation without her in the O.R. that made her feel she was being ignored - she got nervous that people may have assumed she was knocked out already, so she exclaimed, "I'm still awake!" LOL

We are spoiled by the BEST in Dr. T.!!

I will touch base soon w/my friend and update you with any additinal news (hope there won't be any!)

alima
alima

May 9th, 2012, 6:48 pm #8

Could you let me know your stats for this cycle - your AFC, FSH and E2 number on CD3?

May 9th, 2012, 6:59 pm #9

Sorry, I don't know what my FSH and E2 numbers were--at my clinic you have to ask for bloodwork results because they don't give them to you otherwise, and I usually don't bother asking since I don't really need to know the numbers as long as I can go ahead with the cycle. My AFC was 10.

May 9th, 2012, 7:01 pm #10

Congrats on those blasts!! Will you do an FET later?

It's taken me a lot longer to get over my retrieval this time, I am bloated and sore, but getting a little better each day. I'm sorry you are having such trouble. I hope they get to the bottom of it soon.
Thank you! And yes, I am banking for FET.

Congratulations to you on your latest cycle as well, and I hope you feel better soon too.

Confirmation of reply: