Update on IVF #3

Update on IVF #3

March 17th, 2012, 7:23 pm #1

I just finished my third cycle, and had 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, with 2 grade 1 8-cells and 1 grade 2 7-cell on day 3, and one expanded blast which made it to freeze.

So not as good as last cycle, for which I partly blame myself because I missed a couple of doses of Femara, but the doctor didn't seem to think it made a difference and otherwise it was the same protocol as last time--thread with details is here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/53068/th ... n+IVF+%232. He also said that sometimes you just have better and worse months (so true!). I'm probably not going to be cycling again until May since my ovaries seem to need a month off between cycles to start producing my normal AFC again, but he was okay with my doing a couple more banking cycles this year as he doesn't think it will be more difficult getting me pregnant at 42 vs. 41.5 if we're working with frozen embryos from when I was 41.

In any case, I'm so relieved to have gotten something to freeze! I'm a little disappointed that it was only one this time since I ended up with two last time and the odds that any of them are normal are pretty low, but I'm also just so grateful to have gotten any blasts at all... the difference between two and one is so much less upsetting than between one and nothing.

March 17th, 2012, 7:51 pm #2

I think this is a good result. As you said, at least you got something to freeze. I do think a break is good as stimming every month probably makes the ovaries tired. Was your AFC the same this cycle as last? I have noticed that my AFC varies from cycle to cycle and when I have less (even by two antral follicle), I tend to get less follicles. Since this is your third cycle, will you purchase another package of 3?

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

March 17th, 2012, 8:42 pm #3

I just finished my third cycle, and had 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, with 2 grade 1 8-cells and 1 grade 2 7-cell on day 3, and one expanded blast which made it to freeze.

So not as good as last cycle, for which I partly blame myself because I missed a couple of doses of Femara, but the doctor didn't seem to think it made a difference and otherwise it was the same protocol as last time--thread with details is here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/53068/th ... n+IVF+%232. He also said that sometimes you just have better and worse months (so true!). I'm probably not going to be cycling again until May since my ovaries seem to need a month off between cycles to start producing my normal AFC again, but he was okay with my doing a couple more banking cycles this year as he doesn't think it will be more difficult getting me pregnant at 42 vs. 41.5 if we're working with frozen embryos from when I was 41.

In any case, I'm so relieved to have gotten something to freeze! I'm a little disappointed that it was only one this time since I ended up with two last time and the odds that any of them are normal are pretty low, but I'm also just so grateful to have gotten any blasts at all... the difference between two and one is so much less upsetting than between one and nothing.
I'm happy for you. I hope you enjoy your break and good luck with the next cycle.

Mtoto2
Mtoto2

March 18th, 2012, 1:45 am #4

It to blast for freezing. Can those be transferred now? I am considering banking too. Wishing you all the best

March 18th, 2012, 4:20 am #5

The best thing I like about banking is, I can avoid 2WW for a while and it is really great for the sanity of the mind. I think it takes a lot of pressure off your shoulder when you are banking (because you are not saddled with results right away), so you can concentrate on making the best eggs possible.

Take some rest and rock on.

March 18th, 2012, 12:39 pm #6

As you say, 1 better than nothing, ad you're banking blasts! Which is great

Hope you get many more in the cycles to come

Al

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

March 18th, 2012, 3:26 pm #7

Di,

In all honesty, the fact that you have three blasts total is excellent!! Yes...at our age most of our eggs are not so great...but you are dealing with blasts. There is a greater likelihood of having a normal embryo. A break in between sounds pretty good. Wishing you the best and hoping that your baby is in one of those blasts.

March 18th, 2012, 5:11 pm #8

I think this is a good result. As you said, at least you got something to freeze. I do think a break is good as stimming every month probably makes the ovaries tired. Was your AFC the same this cycle as last? I have noticed that my AFC varies from cycle to cycle and when I have less (even by two antral follicle), I tend to get less follicles. Since this is your third cycle, will you purchase another package of 3?
Thank you! I think my baseline AFC was the same as last cycle, maybe one follicle less, but I definitely had fewer follicles at retrieval this time (which is why I got less eggs). And yes, I'm planning to do another 3 cycle package next!

March 18th, 2012, 5:12 pm #9

I'm happy for you. I hope you enjoy your break and good luck with the next cycle.
Thanks! nt.

March 18th, 2012, 5:16 pm #10

It to blast for freezing. Can those be transferred now? I am considering banking too. Wishing you all the best
Thank you! The ones that don't make it to blast for freezing have stopped growing, so they wouldn't be viable for transfer anyway at that point. I believe they're just discarded as medical waste.

Confirmation of reply: