Update on IVF #2

Update on IVF #2

January 21st, 2012, 4:39 am #1

I just did my second cycle (after getting canceled in December) and wanted to report on how it went because the news is encouraging, and hopefully it may be encouraging for others here too.

My first cycle was super high stim EPP (SIRM's LA10E2V) and with a dosage of 750IU of FSH a day, and it was a dismal failure: 4 follicles at retrieval, 3 mature eggs, 1 fertilized, and the embryo didn't make it to freeze... it was a grade 1 5-cell on day 3 and then stopped growing. This cost close to $7000 out of pocket in meds, I might add.

My second cycle was low-medium stim and the only medications I took were five days of Femara, 300IU FSH a day, and some Ganirelix to suppress ovulation. We ended up getting 8 eggs, 7 mature, and 6 fertilized, with 2 grade 1 8-cells, 2 grade 2 8-cells, and 1 grade 2 6-cell still in the game on day 3. Of course we don't know how many will make it to freeze, and it's quite possible none of these embryos are genetically normal anyway, but this is still dramatically better than my results with the previous protocol... and this was with my FSH testing at 26 on CD3 this time!

The other things I did differently this cycle were to take supplements during the cycle (inisitol, melatonin, ubiquinol), and I used HGH (omnitrope). I also did acupuncture, but I did that during my first cycle and it didn't do anything--although of course I've been doing acupuncture cumulatively longer now so that may have made a difference. And if anything, I was less careful with my diet this time.

So I guess I just want to say that I'm really glad I was able to try a different protocol, and that even though all the numbers said I would be the poorest of poor responders--and I WAS, on the first protocol--numbers aren't always the whole story. And I'm glad I listened to all the posters here who suggested that we high FSH/DOR women can often be oversuppressed on the super high stim EPPs with Lupron, BCPs, etc., because it now seems very possible that's what happened to me the first time around. I also probably wouldn't have asked about doing HGH without reading about it online first. But anyway, thanks to all here for your support (even though I know I lurk most of the time), it is very much appreciated!

ETA: Two grade 2 blasts made it to freeze, yay!
Last edited by di_nyc on January 24th, 2012, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 21st, 2012, 10:51 am #2

I also was encouraged by better quality as stims decreased.....so I'm glad to hear it's going so well, especially after such a crushing outcome in December....

Hopefully you will have some to transfer and some to freeze!

Good luck

Al

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 21st, 2012, 2:49 pm #3

I just did my second cycle (after getting canceled in December) and wanted to report on how it went because the news is encouraging, and hopefully it may be encouraging for others here too.

My first cycle was super high stim EPP (SIRM's LA10E2V) and with a dosage of 750IU of FSH a day, and it was a dismal failure: 4 follicles at retrieval, 3 mature eggs, 1 fertilized, and the embryo didn't make it to freeze... it was a grade 1 5-cell on day 3 and then stopped growing. This cost close to $7000 out of pocket in meds, I might add.

My second cycle was low-medium stim and the only medications I took were five days of Femara, 300IU FSH a day, and some Ganirelix to suppress ovulation. We ended up getting 8 eggs, 7 mature, and 6 fertilized, with 2 grade 1 8-cells, 2 grade 2 8-cells, and 1 grade 2 6-cell still in the game on day 3. Of course we don't know how many will make it to freeze, and it's quite possible none of these embryos are genetically normal anyway, but this is still dramatically better than my results with the previous protocol... and this was with my FSH testing at 26 on CD3 this time!

The other things I did differently this cycle were to take supplements during the cycle (inisitol, melatonin, ubiquinol), and I used HGH (omnitrope). I also did acupuncture, but I did that during my first cycle and it didn't do anything--although of course I've been doing acupuncture cumulatively longer now so that may have made a difference. And if anything, I was less careful with my diet this time.

So I guess I just want to say that I'm really glad I was able to try a different protocol, and that even though all the numbers said I would be the poorest of poor responders--and I WAS, on the first protocol--numbers aren't always the whole story. And I'm glad I listened to all the posters here who suggested that we high FSH/DOR women can often be oversuppressed on the super high stim EPPs with Lupron, BCPs, etc., because it now seems very possible that's what happened to me the first time around. I also probably wouldn't have asked about doing HGH without reading about it online first. But anyway, thanks to all here for your support (even though I know I lurk most of the time), it is very much appreciated!

Di,

How exciting!!! What a great cycle. I too did better on a medium stim protocol at SIRM and from the start..insisted on not using both BCP's and Lupron with their EPP..I never once used BCP's. For sure..I think estrogen, BCP's and Lupron is too much and likely to cause suppression. I'm rooting for you and hoping that you get some nice blasts!! FX!!

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 21st, 2012, 3:33 pm #4

I will hopefully be doing a similar protocol next month. Probably a bit lower FSH. This is wonderful news. xoxo BD

Jamie
Jamie

January 21st, 2012, 6:13 pm #5

Di, I"m thrilled for you! This is just great and keep us posted!

Question--are you doing genetic testing on the embryos? You mentioned freezing, so I'm guessing that you are. Just wondering because I'm really interested in doing that on my next IVF. Thanks and good luck!

anon10
anon10

January 21st, 2012, 6:45 pm #6

Sounds like a fantastic cycle wishing all the best for you & your embies!

January 21st, 2012, 9:55 pm #7

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes! n/t

January 21st, 2012, 10:04 pm #8

Di, I"m thrilled for you! This is just great and keep us posted!

Question--are you doing genetic testing on the embryos? You mentioned freezing, so I'm guessing that you are. Just wondering because I'm really interested in doing that on my next IVF. Thanks and good luck!
Hey Jamie, I'm actually not doing genetic testing because it's thousands of dollars (almost the cost of what the clinic charges for the EZ-IVF cycle itself), and Dr. T's suggestion was to just see what we get and select by morphology. Not doing it kind of makes me nervous because of the lost TTC time the risk of getting pregnant and then miscarrying due to genetic abnormalities represents, but I just didn't have the money. However, if money was no object or I had some specific reason other than my age for testing--like a genetic disorder of some kind--I would definitely do it.

January 21st, 2012, 11:37 pm #9

It is really important to find a protocol that fits your body and it sounds like you are on the right track! Keep it up.

Jamie
Jamie

January 22nd, 2012, 1:45 am #10

Hey Jamie, I'm actually not doing genetic testing because it's thousands of dollars (almost the cost of what the clinic charges for the EZ-IVF cycle itself), and Dr. T's suggestion was to just see what we get and select by morphology. Not doing it kind of makes me nervous because of the lost TTC time the risk of getting pregnant and then miscarrying due to genetic abnormalities represents, but I just didn't have the money. However, if money was no object or I had some specific reason other than my age for testing--like a genetic disorder of some kind--I would definitely do it.
Well, again, so excited for you! Can't wait to hear about the blast report!

Confirmation of reply: