thyroid testing - anyone had it?

thyroid testing - anyone had it?

December 13th, 2011, 5:15 pm #1

My thyroid tests always come back normal, but could I have a problem anyway? I did not get the full thyroid panel testing done, just the basic. To be honest, I don't even know what the full panel testing involves. My mother had thyroid cancer in her 30s, and I had low thyroid when I was 18, but it was resolved with medication.

Jen
Jen

December 13th, 2011, 6:30 pm #2

I am not really in a good place with things but, I was tested while on estinyl and TSH was 3.5. The norm is .5-5.5. For trying TTC it supposedly should be around 2. I never had an RE tell me anything was wrong with my TSH until Dr. Check. I do know most endocrinologists want to see it at 2 max while pg.

NancyMN
NancyMN

December 13th, 2011, 7:21 pm #3

My thyroid tests always come back normal, but could I have a problem anyway? I did not get the full thyroid panel testing done, just the basic. To be honest, I don't even know what the full panel testing involves. My mother had thyroid cancer in her 30s, and I had low thyroid when I was 18, but it was resolved with medication.
Hi! I mainly post on the other board, but peek here from time to time as I am getting close to 40 At any rate, I have always tested in the norm, that is under between .5-5. However, I went to a doctor that is "thyroid friendly" (if there is a term like that?) and when he first tested me, I was .6 (or something close to that-I don't have my exact numbers with me). He said that this was "ok" but I had so many symptoms of low thyroid (weight gain, constipation, hair loss, fatigue, always cold) that he was going to give me medicine anyway and then monitor me (in the meantime, I had seen a Dr to help with BBt charting, they told me the same thing since I had so many sypmtoms). Well, before I started the medicine, he took my levels once more and they were up to 3.6 (or something very close to that), in about 2 months time. He said it shouldn't fluctuate so much so quickly...he also mentioned that you can't tell much from one reading, becuase you are only getting a blip in time. Had he not tested me twice, he wouldn't have seen it fluctuate so wildly so quickly. So, not sure if this really helps answer you question, but just wanted to share. I had my TSH taken again and it was 2.1 after medicine (I take armour thyroid). You have to keep getting it tested to make sure it stays "stable". Not sure what other doctors out there would say about this, but this is what my doctor told me.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 15th, 2011, 2:15 pm #4

I had the same issue with my thyroid numbers fluctuating quickly. For me, i made sure to have the bloodwork done while i was feeling awful. Some days i was so tired i couldn't get out of bed!

December 17th, 2011, 12:52 am #5

who responded.

I do not remember the number, but they said it was a perfect number. Meaning perfectly normal, I guess. I am not sure how often I should re-test.

December 17th, 2011, 4:41 pm #6

For many years, a range of .5 to 5.0 was considered to be normal. However over 90% of people are between 1 and 2. So about 10 years ago, they changed the "normal" range at most labs to be between .5 and 3.0. If your lab is still using this old data range, which many still do, then you might look like you are in the normal range when really you might have a thyroid issue. Most RE's want your TSH levels to be between 1 and 2 when TTC, so even if you are between a 2 and a 3 you may benefit from some thryoid supplementation. Look at what your symptoms are and use that as a measure for asking for follow up testing - fatigue, low BBT, weight gain or issues with maintaining your weight level, feeling cold in your hands/feet, achy joints, foggy brain or forgetfulness. These are all symptoms of being hypothyroid. A full panel test can be done with a simple blood test, get your TSH, T3 and T4 levels all checked. With a family history of thyroid issues, you should definitely stay on top of this. I'm sure your PCP has the test results if you were to call and request them. Then at least you know for sure where they were. Get them tested in a couple of months if you still have symptoms and get the full panel done.
I was diagnosed as hypothyroid by my RE after testing at 3.2-3.9 for years at my PCP's office. I was recently diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis which means my body is attacking my thyroid, so it is especially important I figured this out while my symptoms were relatively mild and my levels were still only elevated. Now my levels test around 1.5 which is great for ttc.
Good luck
Last edited by ncfp on December 17th, 2011, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: