Those using frozen swimmers - WWYD?

Those using frozen swimmers - WWYD?

kfx216
kfx216

October 27th, 2011, 12:38 am #1

So I have 5 vials left. I'm 48 and still pumping out follies. I've switched to a new and local RE who will treat me. Cost is moderately a concern.

So, do I do 1 vial this time since I haven't used this RE before and then 2 double vials the last 2 times? Or try 5 times using single vials? I know from a prior IVF that the donor's sperm lives 'til the next day and even fertilized an egg, although ultimately bfn. The costs are such that I probably will do 2 vials (1 IUI) vs. 2 IUIs on separate days. This RE doesn't do the ultrasound check like Check does, which would point to doing 2 IUIs, but it will be an extra $350 and so far perfect timing hasn't gotten me bfp anyway.

Any suggestions?

October 27th, 2011, 2:08 am #2

I would do 5 singles. As you say, even v accurate timing hasn't been the magic ingredient, so I think you have to spread your effort over as many months as you can. Is there a way you can do some closer monitoring even without the U/S? I'm now aiming for single IUIs since 11 IVFs have failed to work and my 46th birthday is any moment. I was hoping to avoid daily bloods from CD11 (which is how my current clinic tracks LH surge) so bought a CBEFM.....which has proved surprisingly accurate despite this being a wacky cycle for me. I'm hoping to get better at interpreting it and use that to refine timing (really broke paying the last "hail Mary" IVF off my credit card) so I can avoid the tests that add up each month (like bloods, U/S etc). I'm also going to buy Jill Blakeaway's book because it goes into minute detail about detecting cervical changes that signal O.

If you could narrow the timing to the right day, then, since the swimmers last 24 hours, you could do single IUIs. I think for those of us hoping for that one miracle egg, the more months you give it the better, vs putting all your resources into 2 or 3 tries...

Good luck with whatever you decide

Al

BabyDance
BabyDance

October 27th, 2011, 2:41 am #3

So I have 5 vials left. I'm 48 and still pumping out follies. I've switched to a new and local RE who will treat me. Cost is moderately a concern.

So, do I do 1 vial this time since I haven't used this RE before and then 2 double vials the last 2 times? Or try 5 times using single vials? I know from a prior IVF that the donor's sperm lives 'til the next day and even fertilized an egg, although ultimately bfn. The costs are such that I probably will do 2 vials (1 IUI) vs. 2 IUIs on separate days. This RE doesn't do the ultrasound check like Check does, which would point to doing 2 IUIs, but it will be an extra $350 and so far perfect timing hasn't gotten me bfp anyway.

Any suggestions?
I wanted to do double IUI's after reading about your success, but Dr. T convinced me the studies do not show better success (although I've seen some that said slightly better results). But, I think I would prefer a few more shots at it. I say go for 5 months of trying. Good luck!

October 27th, 2011, 9:54 pm #4

Any suggestions?
Because that is what I did! Just single vial IUI's. I figure it upped the odds of a good egg popping out to do multiple cycles rather than just a couple with double IUI's. I can't believe I'm down to that last vial. Good luck with your upcoming cycles!

xoxo, Tracy

summerwind03
summerwind03

October 28th, 2011, 1:35 pm #5

I have to think 5 singles will give you better odds, if you can handle doing 5 cycles.

kfx216
kfx216

October 28th, 2011, 6:33 pm #6

Any suggestions?
Best of luck to you all!

Confirmation of reply: