The biological clock- a great illustration (x post)

The biological clock- a great illustration (x post)

January 31st, 2012, 12:01 am #1

Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle

January 31st, 2012, 1:14 am #2

Is that as women pass 40, statistically their chances of carrying a healthy pregnancy to term decrease over-all as a group, but the variability of individual fertility actually increases!

So, let's say the vast majority of 25 year olds are fertile, all across the board, and most 25 year olds can get pregnant and carry a healthy baby to term.

Meanwhile, across 40-somethings (let's say between 40 and 44), some women hold steady in their fertility, with chances for healthy pregnancy diminishing only slightly, while others plummet hard and fast at a particular point. And there's no way to tell up front who's who in the fertility game!

As the colleague of my old RE used to say, "The only way to find out if you can still get pregnant is to try!"

Which is, I guess, why we're all still here!

mm
mm

January 31st, 2012, 12:33 pm #3

that there was some research that disputed/questioned the idea that we are born with all the eggs we will ever have.

Suz44
Suz44

January 31st, 2012, 2:30 pm #4

I would love to know about that research (NT)

ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle

January 31st, 2012, 2:48 pm #5

I'm pretty sure that research was disproved. n/t

anne
anne

January 31st, 2012, 4:18 pm #6

that there was some research that disputed/questioned the idea that we are born with all the eggs we will ever have.
the one which used mice was disproved although i really had to search for it.

the article i posted a few items below here regarding dhea and testosterone gives a different theory; that it's not the oocytes that are bad per se it's the condition of the ovary, that it's a plausible conclusion because of the successes they have had with dhea in women who had undetectable to .3 amh. (if i read it correctly).

the fact is they don't know. theories keep changing. it's hard to believe half of what they say. it's all a guessing game when it comes down to it.

Pinkduck
Pinkduck

January 31st, 2012, 5:21 pm #7

I just emailed this to my friend. Perfect for what I was after.

January 31st, 2012, 6:25 pm #8

I have often wondered this myself.

Even so, it only takes "one" egg to make a baby. You don't need millions.

January 31st, 2012, 6:32 pm #9

Is that as women pass 40, statistically their chances of carrying a healthy pregnancy to term decrease over-all as a group, but the variability of individual fertility actually increases!

So, let's say the vast majority of 25 year olds are fertile, all across the board, and most 25 year olds can get pregnant and carry a healthy baby to term.

Meanwhile, across 40-somethings (let's say between 40 and 44), some women hold steady in their fertility, with chances for healthy pregnancy diminishing only slightly, while others plummet hard and fast at a particular point. And there's no way to tell up front who's who in the fertility game!

As the colleague of my old RE used to say, "The only way to find out if you can still get pregnant is to try!"

Which is, I guess, why we're all still here!
Great message to read mid morning!! thank you!!

January 31st, 2012, 7:45 pm #10

Thank you so much, great chart! nt

Confirmation of reply: