stims and trigger after natural surge tonight?

stims and trigger after natural surge tonight?

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

May 21st, 2012, 2:08 am #1

i'm supposed to do 75 follistim tonight, going in early tomorrow morning for a scan. i just got a positive surge on an OPK. i assume i should go ahead and do the follistim? i think i can still trigger after a natural surge? i really wanted to make it to 8 days of stims, today is day 7. i assume you can't stim after the trigger, right?
thanks!

anne
anne

May 21st, 2012, 3:43 pm #2

is it a high or a peak reading? if just a high, then i might do the follistim in the morning and the trigger sometime after that. have you spoken with your doc? i've never heard of doing a trigger before stims, only after.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

May 21st, 2012, 6:49 pm #3

i'm supposed to do 75 follistim tonight, going in early tomorrow morning for a scan. i just got a positive surge on an OPK. i assume i should go ahead and do the follistim? i think i can still trigger after a natural surge? i really wanted to make it to 8 days of stims, today is day 7. i assume you can't stim after the trigger, right?
thanks!
Dr. Ch.eck would most times have me do the final units gonal f the same day as the trigger. I think he said that it helps with the final maturation of the follicle/egg which keeps maturing between trigger and release (some 36 hours). So I don't think tomorrow is too late, unless you are starting to ovulate on your own.

One down side to doing the 75 gonal f tonight is if you think the follicle(s) might be too big, say into the 20s, then you might get a boost when you don't need one. If you aren't worried about the follicle(s) being too big, then I would take the gonal f tonight. Otherwise, you can wait until you see the follicle size tomorrow and take it tomorrow morning.

My 2 cents.

Good luck with this cycle!

Kim
Kim

May 21st, 2012, 6:54 pm #4

thanks!
once you surge, the follistim will likely not do anything for you. Dr. C offices had me take follistim a few hours before I took the trigger shot to give a little boost, but no follistim after the trigger.

You could take the trigger shot to see if it helps give you more of a surge? I thought the hcg helps mature the follicles a bit more - not sure on this?

anne
anne

May 21st, 2012, 8:04 pm #5

if you have a trigger shot, i would take it. it will give you a stronger o.

Sophie
Sophie

May 21st, 2012, 8:44 pm #6

thanks!
My RE has told me that with an LH surge only, only the larger follicles that are close in size will release. With Hcg, all follicles should ovulate.

Good lucK!

Sophie
Sophie

May 21st, 2012, 8:45 pm #7

thanks!
My RE has told me that with an LH surge only, only the larger follicles that are close in size will release. With Hcg, all follicles should ovulate.

Good lucK!

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

May 21st, 2012, 10:17 pm #8

thanks!
thank you so much for the helpful replies, ladies.

i did take the 75 follistim last night. this morning i went in for US/blood work. two follicles, 20mm and 23mm. lining is 13. they sent me home to trigger, which i did. i was feeling pretty good about my whopping two follicles and plump lining, but then they called with my blood work results:

E2 109
LH 18.2
P4 1.79

darn it, that E2 seems impossibly low! does femara lower E2 that much, and if so how can that be any good? i'm so bummed to think that i've got two empty follicles i appreciate any of your feedback.

thanks!

Kim
Kim

May 21st, 2012, 10:52 pm #9

I think Sillypuppy had a low E2 with large follicles? From what I read, the E2 will be lower with femera, so RE's go by the follicle size. My guess is you had two nice sized follicles:)

anne
anne

May 22nd, 2012, 3:13 pm #10

thank you so much for the helpful replies, ladies.

i did take the 75 follistim last night. this morning i went in for US/blood work. two follicles, 20mm and 23mm. lining is 13. they sent me home to trigger, which i did. i was feeling pretty good about my whopping two follicles and plump lining, but then they called with my blood work results:

E2 109
LH 18.2
P4 1.79

darn it, that E2 seems impossibly low! does femara lower E2 that much, and if so how can that be any good? i'm so bummed to think that i've got two empty follicles i appreciate any of your feedback.

thanks!
you have 2 decent sized follicles and it's not guaranteed that they are both empty. all you can do is try, and you never know you might have a goodie.

Confirmation of reply: