Sex between ER and ET??

Sex between ER and ET??

May 1st, 2012, 12:21 am #1

Hi all.
What do you think?

So, as I said elsewhere here today, I only had 5 eggs retrieved today, which is a lot less than last cycle, in which 9 were retrieved. I don't know what happened this time... we did microdose lupron flare this time, which was different, but I was also taking bee pollen (did I screw things up?!)... I had about 9 follicles all looking like they were the mature size at my Friday bloodwork/ultrasound appointment.

But then, my Saturday bloodwork showed my estradiol had plateaued (I still don't know the number, but the day before it had only been 1000.) So they had me do a "booster" shot of my regular nighttime meds on Saturday (Menopur and Gonal-f), and then did my trigger a couple of hours later.

Long story longer, , they retrieved only 5 eggs today, and I'm bummed. But now I'm wondering... will the remaining immature eggs (that weren't retrieved) still mature in the next few days?? Is there any reason not to have sex tomorrow, which is probably going to be the day before embryo transfer?

Bummed there are so few.I'm just hoping they all magically fertilize into perfect embryos. Sigh.
<i></i>

Age 41 (DOR/AMA). My partner is 35.
Patient at Shady Grove FC in Maryland
2012: Insurance will pay for 3 rounds of IVF, and then we will have to quit.
2nd IVF (April 2012): Microdose flare. Lupron 20 (2x day), Gonal-F (450/day), Menopur (150/day). Egg retrieval will be 4/30 +/-. Currently 10 follicles.Also taking MRM micronized DHEA (75mg, acupuncture (2-3x week), Montana Big Sky royal jelly/bee pollen, no alcohol, South Beach diet for years, a lot of meditation and fertility magic. Had bariatric surgery in 2006 and lost 110 lbs.
FSH (March 2012): 14
1st IVF (February 2012): Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix: 9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 transferred. No pregnancy.
2011:
3 rounds IUI (no pregnancies)
6 mo drug break to get assessed for breast cancer/ ovarian cancer risk
3 rounds timed intercourse (Clomid, etc) (No pregnancies)
FSH (September 2011): 8
2010:
1 miscarriage (at 7 wks) from a natural pregnancy
FSH (2010): 6

May 1st, 2012, 2:49 am #2

My clinic told me no intercourse, tampons, baths/swimming for at least a week after egg retrieval.

Cannady LeGuin
Cannady LeGuin

May 1st, 2012, 3:18 am #3

I guess I'm just wondering what the harm could be in having sex between egg retrieval and transfer.

Plus, if there's a chance I might still ovulate the "immature" eggs in a day or two, I want to cover all my bases.

LadyG
LadyG

May 1st, 2012, 3:39 am #4

Hi all.
What do you think?

So, as I said elsewhere here today, I only had 5 eggs retrieved today, which is a lot less than last cycle, in which 9 were retrieved. I don't know what happened this time... we did microdose lupron flare this time, which was different, but I was also taking bee pollen (did I screw things up?!)... I had about 9 follicles all looking like they were the mature size at my Friday bloodwork/ultrasound appointment.

But then, my Saturday bloodwork showed my estradiol had plateaued (I still don't know the number, but the day before it had only been 1000.) So they had me do a "booster" shot of my regular nighttime meds on Saturday (Menopur and Gonal-f), and then did my trigger a couple of hours later.

Long story longer, , they retrieved only 5 eggs today, and I'm bummed. But now I'm wondering... will the remaining immature eggs (that weren't retrieved) still mature in the next few days?? Is there any reason not to have sex tomorrow, which is probably going to be the day before embryo transfer?

Bummed there are so few.I'm just hoping they all magically fertilize into perfect embryos. Sigh.
<i></i>

2nd IVF (April 2012): Microdose flare. Lupron 20 (2x day), Gonal-F (450/day), Menopur (150/day). Egg retrieval will be 4/30 +/-. Currently 10 follicles.Also taking MRM micronized DHEA (75mg, acupuncture (2-3x week), Montana Big Sky royal jelly/bee pollen, no alcohol, South Beach diet for years, a lot of meditation and fertility magic. Had bariatric surgery in 2006 and lost 110 lbs.
1st IVF (February 2012): Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix: 9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 transferred. No pregnancy.
2011:
2010:
CCRM said absolutely nothing in the vagina after ER. There is risk of infection - that is why they have me take doxy for a few days post ER. I have not done a fresh transfer but I would have to think the same applies - you don't want to risk getting an infection if you are going to transfer.

May 1st, 2012, 4:11 am #5

Yes, my clinic says "No sex," too, because of infection risk.
But I also think it's a "fear" of possible multiples. With my low chance of any success, I feel torn... I'm not worried about getting pregnant with multiples; I'm worried about not having a baby at all.

This article says some interesting things - and it IS an academic article with peer review:

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... /2653.long

"This study is the first to indicate that intercourse during the peri-transfer period of an IVF cycle is beneficial to pregnancy outcome. This is important information to convey to infertile couples since abstinence is commonly practised during infertility treatment and often recommended by the treating physician. Encouraging couples to engage in intercourse during IVF treatment might also have additional psychological advantages in terms of normalizing the `conception' process by allowing couples to participate actively in their reproductive outcome."

2011:
2010:

May 1st, 2012, 4:13 am #6

I guess I'm just wondering what the harm could be in having sex between egg retrieval and transfer.

Plus, if there's a chance I might still ovulate the "immature" eggs in a day or two, I want to cover all my bases.
... My chances of live birth at all, are between 5 and 10 percent WITH IVF.

We also only have one more IVF cycle left after this one.

So, I'm not cavalier when I say we're considering sex before E.T... there is some thinking that it can help with implantation.

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... /2653.long
"This study is the first to indicate that intercourse during the peri-transfer period of an IVF cycle is beneficial to pregnancy outcome. This is important information to convey to infertile couples since abstinence is commonly practised during infertility treatment and often recommended by the treating physician."

2011:
2010:

Kim
Kim

May 1st, 2012, 10:27 am #7

Hi all.
What do you think?

<i></i>

2011:
2010:
We were told to try to have relations the night before or morning of transfer - and had a day 3 transfer. The doxy or whatever antiobiotic should take care of any possibility of infection. I had a CP that cycle.

anonforthis
anonforthis

May 1st, 2012, 1:20 pm #8

Hi all.
What do you think?

<i></i>

2011:
2010:
I think the risk of infection is really overplayed, especially if you're taking an antibiotic. I also saw those studies and thought it was worth having sex in the 2ww. In your case, I'd go for it.

michele (PG)
michele (PG)

May 1st, 2012, 1:21 pm #9

We were told to try to have relations the night before or morning of transfer - and had a day 3 transfer. The doxy or whatever antiobiotic should take care of any possibility of infection. I had a CP that cycle.
I agree with kim. I also am a patient of Dr.Checks and was always told to try to have relations before transfer that night or in the morning of transfer. I can say the cycle i got pg was the morning i had relations. Hope this helps.

anne
anne

May 1st, 2012, 3:48 pm #10

Hi all.
What do you think?

<i></i>

2011:
2010:
go with your gut. i didn't and i believe it cost me my last chance for oe.

Confirmation of reply: