paging Pinkduck

paging Pinkduck

Jamie
Jamie

January 28th, 2012, 8:30 am #1

I found something that may help with cold, hard facts about fertility based on a study of Hudderite women done before the 50s. They were a religious sect that had as many children as possible for as long as possible. They found that:

33% of women are infertile at age 40
50% at age 41
87% at age 45

This all assumes natural intercourse only obviously. The downside was that they had no IVF or egg quality supplements which may have helped; the plus was that they had had many pregnancies which I think has a rejuvenative effect on ovaries. So it's probably a wash, with this picture slightly overly negative assuming one is willing to do IVF and try multiple times. Also, some of the couples may have just stopped having sex at fertile times since they had an average of nine children. http://www.domesticproduct.net/?p=356

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 28th, 2012, 1:41 pm #2

I think that's where I got the 30 percent at 40 I posted below. Thanks Jamie. Pink - show her this in writing, and then let her make her choices. That's all you can do. It's beyond stupidity to wait. Beyond. For all we know, it's too late for her already (as it was me at 40), AND - she could have MF too - as I do, and did not find out until 40.6. Maybe some people do get pregnant easily at 40, but most do not. And this women is already 40 - how close is she to 41? Waiting - not smart.

Pinkduck
Pinkduck

January 28th, 2012, 2:53 pm #3

I found something that may help with cold, hard facts about fertility based on a study of Hudderite women done before the 50s. They were a religious sect that had as many children as possible for as long as possible. They found that:

50% at age 41
87% at age 45

This all assumes natural intercourse only obviously. The downside was that they had no IVF or egg quality supplements which may have helped; the plus was that they had had many pregnancies which I think has a rejuvenative effect on ovaries. So it's probably a wash, with this picture slightly overly negative assuming one is willing to do IVF and try multiple times. Also, some of the couples may have just stopped having sex at fertile times since they had an average of nine children. http://www.domesticproduct.net/?p=356
Exactly what I was after. Something simple but eye opening! You know at 36 when I started to TTC I thought hey, Madonna had a child at 45, I am fit and healthy so I should be ok. I could always do IVF and it would be fine. Many m/c and lots of money and drugs latter I learnt the reality. Thank goodness I was able to move on to DE and have my 4 kids. I totally get it that this is not an option for some though. Even between DE cycles I tried with my own eggs right up until 46 years of age. I would get 2-3 eggs per cycle but just no pregnancies that stuck. I hope my friend has a good think about her choices and makes an informed decision about waiting. Thanks again!

Betsey
Betsey

January 28th, 2012, 3:56 pm #4

50% at age 41
87% at age 45

The stats are just that - averages. I wasn't able to get pregnant again after DD at 33, and my periods stopped completely at 40. I've come to accept that my body was programmed for very early menopause, but it's hard. I still wish for just one more baby.

Jamie
Jamie

January 28th, 2012, 4:34 pm #5

50% at age 41
87% at age 45

Thanks pink and BD. Man, I hope your friend pays attention to this. I don't know what people are thinking when they postpone babies at age 40.

You know, when you said she listens but doesn't want to hear, it made me wonder if some of her denial is an embarrassment factor. It is embarrassing to say to your husband that you have to get going to have kids because in 1-2 years you may not be able to, when men can do it for decades more with some luscious young thing. Kind of makes you feel like a dried up old crone to say that, even if it is the truth. But that's something she'll have to deal with herself and she'll have to decide how badly she wants kids. She may not really be dying for them, who knows.

BD
BD

January 28th, 2012, 5:51 pm #6

Exactly what I was after. Something simple but eye opening! You know at 36 when I started to TTC I thought hey, Madonna had a child at 45, I am fit and healthy so I should be ok. I could always do IVF and it would be fine. Many m/c and lots of money and drugs latter I learnt the reality. Thank goodness I was able to move on to DE and have my 4 kids. I totally get it that this is not an option for some though. Even between DE cycles I tried with my own eggs right up until 46 years of age. I would get 2-3 eggs per cycle but just no pregnancies that stuck. I hope my friend has a good think about her choices and makes an informed decision about waiting. Thanks again!
FYI- Madonna was 43 with her last. nt.

January 28th, 2012, 7:52 pm #7

50% at age 41
87% at age 45

Thanks Jamie for find and posting it.

ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle

January 28th, 2012, 7:58 pm #8

50% at age 41
87% at age 45

Well, I did a little math, and I'm assuming now that an otherwise healthy 44 y.o.'s have about a 20% shot at still being fertile. Better than the odds you hear with IVF stats.

Seeing as though 2012 is my make or break year, I'll take what I can get.

xoxoxox to you all, Chix

ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle

January 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm #9

Well, make that more like 15%. Better than 0! n/t

Suz44
Suz44

January 29th, 2012, 12:47 am #10

Well, I did a little math, and I'm assuming now that an otherwise healthy 44 y.o.'s have about a 20% shot at still being fertile. Better than the odds you hear with IVF stats.

Seeing as though 2012 is my make or break year, I'll take what I can get.

xoxoxox to you all, Chix
You and me both...I think this is my make or break year. So glad to share this crazy ride with you.

Confirmation of reply: