OPK seven days straight, no definite surge

OPK seven days straight, no definite surge

April 17th, 2012, 6:07 pm #1

Last cycle I had lap surgery on CD 6. I believe I ovulated normally on Cd 15 and my next cycle started a normal 14 days after O. Then things started to get strange...

I am usually very dry and part of that I blame on age, but also due to Letrozole on CD 3 and that seems to make matters worse. So this month my AF was heavier then normal (thanks to surgery) but also was longer then normal. Five heavy days of bleeding and then I conituned to see spotting until cd 11. I started using OPK's around CD 15 at which point I was already seeing a double line. Not a darker line, just two lines. 7 days later and I'm still seeing a double line. The test line is still a little lighter then the control line. CM is non-existent.

Ever since I started using OPKs a couple of years ago, I never had more then one or two days of double lines. In other words, if I saw a double line I just automatically took that as a fertile sign and ovulation was coming shortly. Never before have I seen a double line for an entire week.

Being that it is now CD 21, I feel fairly certain that this is an anovulatory cycle. Is having a rise in LH and staying there normal if you not ovulating? I guess I'm wondering if I should just stop testing and forget about this month. Keep trying, or do you think I should call my Dr and ask for bloodwork?

anne
anne

April 17th, 2012, 8:48 pm #2

call the doc. you are probably having an ano because of the physical stress of your operation. that's what i think. at our age this happens periodically.

April 17th, 2012, 9:54 pm #3

I have had a few of those cycles in the last couple of years and and high LH always tipped me off. My body would usually right itself in a couple of weeks. I would do an OPK every few days to spot check it. Also agree that you should touch base with your doctor, just to keep him in the loop and get his or her opinion.

xoxo, Tracy

April 18th, 2012, 4:04 am #4

Last cycle I had lap surgery on CD 6. I believe I ovulated normally on Cd 15 and my next cycle started a normal 14 days after O. Then things started to get strange...

I am usually very dry and part of that I blame on age, but also due to Letrozole on CD 3 and that seems to make matters worse. So this month my AF was heavier then normal (thanks to surgery) but also was longer then normal. Five heavy days of bleeding and then I conituned to see spotting until cd 11. I started using OPK's around CD 15 at which point I was already seeing a double line. Not a darker line, just two lines. 7 days later and I'm still seeing a double line. The test line is still a little lighter then the control line. CM is non-existent.

Ever since I started using OPKs a couple of years ago, I never had more then one or two days of double lines. In other words, if I saw a double line I just automatically took that as a fertile sign and ovulation was coming shortly. Never before have I seen a double line for an entire week.

Being that it is now CD 21, I feel fairly certain that this is an anovulatory cycle. Is having a rise in LH and staying there normal if you not ovulating? I guess I'm wondering if I should just stop testing and forget about this month. Keep trying, or do you think I should call my Dr and ask for bloodwork?
You could have some wonky hormones after the surgery. I had a lap last year this time and my surgery was on CD3 and guess what? The rest of the days until my next period was perfect in the sense that the cycle was the normal 27-28 days and then the cycle after that it was much longer than the average cycle length for me.

Some other things that are running through my head about the OPKs:
1) Have you cross referenced with BBTs? Has your temp dipped?
2) Are the OPKs the same brand you normally use? I usually use First Response 30 pack so I can test 2x a day and if those lines are the same or if test line is darker, I used Clearblue to cross-check.
3) No EWCM may be possible right after surgery.
4) Maybe your body is trying to ovulate but can't release the egg and it keeps trying?
5) Do you by any chance have PCOS? If so, you will get false LH surges.

Definitely call your doctor. If you are TTC this month, get busy at least every other day. Don't always rely on OPKs b/c it may be too late by the time you see a positive. You want the sperm to be ready and waiting for that eggie.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

April 18th, 2012, 3:46 pm #5

Yesterday afternoon the doctor's office called to change the time of my next apppointment and I asked if she could put me through with a nurse since I had a few questions. She connected me to a nurse at the Fertilitycare side of the office and she was of no hope at all. I haven't taken their Creigton model charting classes and apparently she has no idea what a dry day unless it's mark with green stamp on a creigton chart. I couldn't get off the phone fast enough with her. I'll try again today and see if I can get hold of a triage nurse.

I took a HPT this morningg and that was negative. I read that OPK's can sometimes be used in place of a HPT's so I thought I might as well rule that out.

No, I'm definitely not PCOS. No classic symptoms of it and my LH to FSH ratio on CD 3 never indicated pcos.

I did change OPk's half way through. The first ones I had were suppose to be more sensitive then the new ones. I have one left of the old ones. I'll test with that today.

The other problem we our having is that MH has a 5mm kidney stone. He has been trying to get rid of this thing since mid March. The urologist is giving him two more weeks to expel it naturally before they are going to have to do a procedure to remove it. He is suppose to taking FlowMax to help open up his ureters. Retrograde ejaculation is a side effect to this med, so DH has been holding off in taking it the past few days and hopes to make the most of our post surgery cycle. (Previous time I had a lap the endo returned very quickly.)

Why is that you fix one problem, five new ones pop up?

Last edited by Tripplebe on April 18th, 2012, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

April 19th, 2012, 1:33 am #6

I never had a lap so I can't say much. But I know that ovulation can turn up a lot later for a variety of reasons. You can't go wrong by keeping on BDing, right? Good luck!!

Confirmation of reply: