Not looking good - advice needed

Not looking good - advice needed

March 12th, 2012, 6:19 pm #1

My beta is tomorrow morning. AF arrived this morning and the hpts have all been negative. I have to make a choice and not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I try a frozen cycle with the 3 remaining embryos OR do a do a full cycle to get more embryos to choose from? Obviously doing full cycle gives us more choices but it will put us out $20k. If one of frozen embryos took, it would be much less expensive and of course, much less hormones. I would assume the frozen embryos are not the best since they weren't chosen for transfer but I guess it doesn't matter what they look like right? It needs to be a normal embryo.

I guess its really just rolling the dice. Does anyone have any good insight or a thought I might be overlooking?
Last edited by bbtocudl on March 12th, 2012, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

March 12th, 2012, 7:02 pm #2

I know we cycled on the same days and I'm so sorry to see your news. I was just about to post our situation/results and saw your message.

I wish I had some sage advice on FET's vs. fresh. I know there are lots of women on this board that have experience. Frankly, on our 1 successful IVF there was nothing left to freeze so we don't have any experience with FET's.

My instinct is to use your FET's and see how it turns out. That way you can try fresh later, if needed. (Hopefully not though.) That's my instinct - I would use what I have. But I just don't have the experience in this area. I see alot of people post about lab quality, vitrification, etc.

I wish you the best on this journey and am so sorry it was "the" cycle for either of us.

March 12th, 2012, 7:19 pm #3

My beta is tomorrow morning. AF arrived this morning and the hpts have all been negative. I have to make a choice and not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I try a frozen cycle with the 3 remaining embryos OR do a do a full cycle to get more embryos to choose from? Obviously doing full cycle gives us more choices but it will put us out $20k. If one of frozen embryos took, it would be much less expensive and of course, much less hormones. I would assume the frozen embryos are not the best since they weren't chosen for transfer but I guess it doesn't matter what they look like right? It needs to be a normal embryo.

I guess its really just rolling the dice. Does anyone have any good insight or a thought I might be overlooking?
From the blasts I saw at my clinic that ended up in ongoing pregnancy, only one was 4AA, a whole bunch of them are mediocre rating, some were even odd looking. Unless you did CGH on your blasts, there is no knowing just by appearance.

There are so many cases of FET making it while the fresh fails, and again, you really do not know if you have failed, since I stressed many times from my personal experience, heavy flow (including blood clots) means NOTHING, you could very well have a smooth-sailing pregnancy ahead of you. Ignore all symptoms, wait for the beta and go from there.

Statistically speaking, your odds are very good with your remaining embryos, if I were you, I would not be throwing out $20K just yet.
Last edited by miraclex2 on March 12th, 2012, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 13th, 2012, 1:20 pm #4

I know we cycled on the same days and I'm so sorry to see your news. I was just about to post our situation/results and saw your message.

I wish I had some sage advice on FET's vs. fresh. I know there are lots of women on this board that have experience. Frankly, on our 1 successful IVF there was nothing left to freeze so we don't have any experience with FET's.

My instinct is to use your FET's and see how it turns out. That way you can try fresh later, if needed. (Hopefully not though.) That's my instinct - I would use what I have. But I just don't have the experience in this area. I see alot of people post about lab quality, vitrification, etc.

I wish you the best on this journey and am so sorry it was "the" cycle for either of us.
I was rooting for you too. I know that your 12 is disappointing but I would be encouraged by it. At least you know something implanted and thats a huge step in the right direction. I am pretty sure I will have a zero beta today meaning nothing even attempted to implant which could mean bigger issues ahead. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and wish you good luck in the upcoming cycle!

March 13th, 2012, 1:22 pm #5

From the blasts I saw at my clinic that ended up in ongoing pregnancy, only one was 4AA, a whole bunch of them are mediocre rating, some were even odd looking. Unless you did CGH on your blasts, there is no knowing just by appearance.

There are so many cases of FET making it while the fresh fails, and again, you really do not know if you have failed, since I stressed many times from my personal experience, heavy flow (including blood clots) means NOTHING, you could very well have a smooth-sailing pregnancy ahead of you. Ignore all symptoms, wait for the beta and go from there.

Statistically speaking, your odds are very good with your remaining embryos, if I were you, I would not be throwing out $20K just yet.
The two embryos that they froze on day 5 were my best from day 3 but I guess they are slower growing. The very best one from day 3 is only an early blast right now. Is that a huge problem? What is the difference between an early blast and an expanded blast? Is it hours apart? Or could it mean the early blast quit growing which is why its still in the early phase? I guess my biggest question is does an early blast have a chance at making a baby? You seem to be very knowledgeable about this stuff. I try to read up on it but there is so much!!

Jamie
Jamie

March 13th, 2012, 3:40 pm #6

I had two day 5 early blasts transferred and one became my daughter. Wishing you the best!

bbtocudl
bbtocudl

March 13th, 2012, 4:22 pm #7

that gives me some much needed hope.

Kim
Kim

March 13th, 2012, 5:04 pm #8

I was rooting for you too. I know that your 12 is disappointing but I would be encouraged by it. At least you know something implanted and thats a huge step in the right direction. I am pretty sure I will have a zero beta today meaning nothing even attempted to implant which could mean bigger issues ahead. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and wish you good luck in the upcoming cycle!
I would try for the FET. Many times it is not the embryos but the lining, so FET can work wonders because your lining will be optimal!

Confirmation of reply: