NK killer cells question

NK killer cells question

beetle21
beetle21

July 26th, 2012, 4:02 am #1

Anyone on this board been diagnoised with any NK killer cells, or any immune problems. I would like to know what raised the alarm bells that you may have something like NK KIller cells or any immune stuff, or where you just being cautious and leaving no stone unturned and discovered the problem by simply checking.

I am just wondering if its something I should look into while I have been spending a fortune on IVF's?

thank you in advance.

Kim
Kim

July 26th, 2012, 1:32 pm #2

Think it is a matter if you have had no luck, then just make sure you have covered everything and do the immune testing. Many women typically have this done after several m/c or unsuccessful IVF's with perfect embies.

beetle21
beetle21

July 27th, 2012, 1:51 am #3

I have had all perfect embies at day three, and blasts that turned into Miscarriages, but my RE's ( yes - alot) put it all down to age 42,43 etc.

When I was talking to CCRM, and SIRM, they were keen to test me for immune issues, but I felt like it was a money spinner - now I am not so sure.

LAFlinesRNTfunny
LAFlinesRNTfunny

July 27th, 2012, 8:18 am #4

Anyone on this board been diagnoised with any NK killer cells, or any immune problems. I would like to know what raised the alarm bells that you may have something like NK KIller cells or any immune stuff, or where you just being cautious and leaving no stone unturned and discovered the problem by simply checking.

I am just wondering if its something I should look into while I have been spending a fortune on IVF's?

thank you in advance.
Obviously there are many reasons to move forward w IVF. The issue of elevated NK cell in IVF patients is newly emerging topic that has still yet to be accepted by most medical authorities.
The theory is that if a patient's immune cells are preventing her from getting pregnant and/or carrying pregnancy to full term, then giving the patient immune therapy (via IVIg infusions or alternately, intralipid infusions, and possibly steroid treatment) may calm down/desensitize the patient's system.

What may tip you off as to getting youself tested? Here's a list (I'll add more in future posts if i can think of anything else).

1. You've had a series of failed IUI's

2. You or a blood relative have a history of miscarriages, asthma, severe allergies, blood disorders, pcos, diabetes, thyroid issues, lupus, psoriasis, or any of the myriad of autoimmune disease.

3. You or any blood relative have a condition requiring life long medication.

3. You've received ANY innoculations within the last five years. This includes hep, tb, influenza, etc.

4. You've,at any point in your life, ever traveled/lived outside of the country or are in/have been in the military (requiring vaccinations.)

5. You've had a child/children and developed hypothyroidism.

6. You have symptoms of pcos or hypo- or hyper- thyroidism.

7. If you've ever had your spleen removed or if you've ever received a donor organ.

Some fertility clinics run a screening panel for new patients and some dont. You may or may not know that you carry an autoimmune trait or that your body system is immunocompromised. A basic screening panel should include TSH and antithyroid antibodies.

If any of the above relates to you particularly if you are 40+, then yes, insist on getting tested or go to someone who does. If you're positive (or even borderline) you'll get more tests done, including getting NK cell titers (levels) checked, and evetually treatment you'll need in addition to IVF to get that BFP.

Kim
Kim

July 27th, 2012, 2:45 pm #5

I have had all perfect embies at day three, and blasts that turned into Miscarriages, but my RE's ( yes - alot) put it all down to age 42,43 etc.

When I was talking to CCRM, and SIRM, they were keen to test me for immune issues, but I felt like it was a money spinner - now I am not so sure.
I'd be tempted to do the immune testing with Bra.ver.man in NYC or Al.an Be.er in CA just in case. I know Al.an Bee.r Inst.itu.te uses insurance codes for immunity rather than infertility in order for insurance to cover some of the costs.

beetle21
beetle21

July 29th, 2012, 3:53 am #6

Obviously there are many reasons to move forward w IVF. The issue of elevated NK cell in IVF patients is newly emerging topic that has still yet to be accepted by most medical authorities.
The theory is that if a patient's immune cells are preventing her from getting pregnant and/or carrying pregnancy to full term, then giving the patient immune therapy (via IVIg infusions or alternately, intralipid infusions, and possibly steroid treatment) may calm down/desensitize the patient's system.

What may tip you off as to getting youself tested? Here's a list (I'll add more in future posts if i can think of anything else).

1. You've had a series of failed IUI's

2. You or a blood relative have a history of miscarriages, asthma, severe allergies, blood disorders, pcos, diabetes, thyroid issues, lupus, psoriasis, or any of the myriad of autoimmune disease.

3. You or any blood relative have a condition requiring life long medication.

3. You've received ANY innoculations within the last five years. This includes hep, tb, influenza, etc.

4. You've,at any point in your life, ever traveled/lived outside of the country or are in/have been in the military (requiring vaccinations.)

5. You've had a child/children and developed hypothyroidism.

6. You have symptoms of pcos or hypo- or hyper- thyroidism.

7. If you've ever had your spleen removed or if you've ever received a donor organ.

Some fertility clinics run a screening panel for new patients and some dont. You may or may not know that you carry an autoimmune trait or that your body system is immunocompromised. A basic screening panel should include TSH and antithyroid antibodies.

If any of the above relates to you particularly if you are 40+, then yes, insist on getting tested or go to someone who does. If you're positive (or even borderline) you'll get more tests done, including getting NK cell titers (levels) checked, and evetually treatment you'll need in addition to IVF to get that BFP.

Thanks LA!!!

beetle21
beetle21

July 30th, 2012, 6:58 pm #7

IS that when your numbers go up, you take a pill regularly to being it down?? Its what I am doing, started at 5, got it down to 1, I didnt ask any questions , just took it. ( sheesh, learning as I go)

LAFlinesRNTfunny
LAFlinesRNTfunny

July 31st, 2012, 11:15 am #8

Hi beetle. I assume you're talking about levothyroxine and your TSH #s , so yes, you're being treated for hypothyroidism. I love this topic and could go on & on, but there would be too much to write, so I'd suggest you do some research on it, if you haven't already. You'll get explanations for the symptoms you've been experiencing up to now and you'll also find out how important getting treatment is (and you are, yay!) for making& keeping healthy babies.

What is important to know is that taking medication will most likely be life-long (and prob for the duration of any pregnancy) & will require monitoring a few times a year. So make sure you update your doctors of your condition. Once you're done w your RE, your OB, Internist / Primary MD will take over writing your scripts. And finally, aim to keep your TSH#s in the low-normal range from now on. I say this only because many doctors have too wide a range in #s leaving many people fall through the cracks, not receiving treatment they truly need, if they fall in the high normal range.

Just in case you don't know, if you are taking Rx levothyroxine, you should take it w/ out food and 2. w/out other meds, vitamins, or supplements, pref 1st thing in the morning. Also, selenium would be a good addition to your supplement list.

Hope this helps.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 1st, 2012, 2:47 pm #9

thank you in advance.
i had 3 miscarriages in a year. after the second one i begged my RE for immune testing, including NK cells. she blew it all off as BS. after the third one, i insisted and got myself to the alan b.eer center. through their testing i was found to have a slew of problems, including elevated NK cells and even though it took me a year and a half to figure it all out and get treatment, i am now pregnant again and have made it further than with the previous 3 miscarriages, now at 12 weeks.

i had been diagnosed with episcleritis (eye problem) when the miscarriages started, and there is a strong autoimmune association with it. still, no one put it together. i now know that was a sign of my problems and have been diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome, an autoimmune blood clotting disorder. i don't think i ever would have gotten pregnant AND carried to term without discovering these problems and getting treatment. but i think there are plenty of women without symptoms who still need immune treatment to make it work, so i'd definitely consider it under the "leave no stone left unturned" plan. i guess it comes down to $$. it isn't cheap! they draw a lot of blood and it takes a couple of weeks but at least then you know you've tried.

beetle21
beetle21

August 3rd, 2012, 11:27 pm #10

I am going to check it out, I have already spent $$ on IVF. I feel that I am fine, but I want to be sure, I am doing a mini stims this month, and taking the punt this week with out the testing, as I am racing ahead. I am turning 44 this month - eeeeek!!!

Confirmation of reply: