My egg did not fertilize.

My egg did not fertilize.

BabyDance
BabyDance

September 28th, 2011, 6:06 pm #1

This never happened to me before and it seems each month that passes gets worse. Concerned there are no good ones left, but Dr. T says it's reasonable that there is. Just exasperated by all the supplements, no alcohol, coffee, ect.. And no change in egg quality. I'm ok, not freaking out, but definitely frustrated by all the effort with diet and such. Femara next cycle, for IVF number 6. Good news is, no injectibles except ganirelix and no anasthesia. Retrieval was a little intense to be awake for, just slightly more then a pap, though. Just don't want to be a masochist with this.

lucy999
lucy999

September 28th, 2011, 6:26 pm #2

any pain? I can't imagine doing retrieval and being awake with no meds? Sending cyber hugs.

September 28th, 2011, 6:36 pm #3

This never happened to me before and it seems each month that passes gets worse. Concerned there are no good ones left, but Dr. T says it's reasonable that there is. Just exasperated by all the supplements, no alcohol, coffee, ect.. And no change in egg quality. I'm ok, not freaking out, but definitely frustrated by all the effort with diet and such. Femara next cycle, for IVF number 6. Good news is, no injectibles except ganirelix and no anasthesia. Retrieval was a little intense to be awake for, just slightly more then a pap, though. Just don't want to be a masochist with this.
((HUGS))

Was wondering how you were doing. Sorry to see this news. I know you may not want to dwell on this, but did Dr. T give you any view on why this may have happened? For example, did he feel perhaps you were on too much stims? Did it not fertilize or did it fertilize and then disintegrate? In my case this happened once where it fertilized but then disintegrated. At that point, I knew that I should have triggered one day earlier - I tend to have mature eggs much sooner than most women and the follicle size tends to be much smaller (17mm). Whenever I try to go longer, my egg quality suffers. Again, you don't need to answer if you are not up to it - just wanted to throw out some questions that you may want to consider for next cycle.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

September 28th, 2011, 7:08 pm #4

As you already know...I'm so sorry. I just wish this journey were easier. I like Alima's questions for Dr. T...I would certainly ask. The answers would be good to know for future reference. Are you thinking it's the high stims although I do know that you did higher stims with RMA and had fertilization.

September 28th, 2011, 8:27 pm #5

now you don't have to ask the "what if" question for high stim. I think you have collected enough data points on which path to go.

Are you going to try out a natural IVF next time? The best time to try out a natural cycle is ALWAYS right after high stim, that is how many people got surprise pregnancy "naturally" waiting in between IVF cycles. The reason is, the stim drugs in your body can give your ovaries just enough boost for the next egg, and because it is natural, it will be the best quality egg from the batch anyway.

anne
anne

September 28th, 2011, 8:40 pm #6

is there a consensus now about the best egg being selected every month? i've read that but then i've also read that your body doesn't know one way or another. i would certainly like to think it can choose...

BabyDance
BabyDance

September 28th, 2011, 8:59 pm #7

With family and I'm considering a martini tonight... but don't want to mess up my next egg... it's just all too much though ladies - I deserve a drink! What do you think?????? I should make this decision on my own, I know, but anyone have any thought about this? Maybe wine is better because there is some redeeming qualities??

September 28th, 2011, 9:09 pm #8

to hear your news. I vote to have that drink!! ((hugs)) One or two drinks isn't going to affect anything. wishing you a good Rosh Hashanah.

xoxo, Tracy

September 28th, 2011, 9:10 pm #9

is there a consensus now about the best egg being selected every month? i've read that but then i've also read that your body doesn't know one way or another. i would certainly like to think it can choose...
because these procedures favor the natural selection of your body. AFC gives you the idea how many follicles can be recruited, and at the beginning of a natural cycle, all of them could be recruited. However once the competition starts, then through mechanisms still unknown to medical science, our body selects one of them to be the lead and winner follicle, which in the end will absorb all the hormones necessary to fully develop, leaving the other antral follicles nothing to keep on going.

So in a low-stim or natural situation, the follicles that develop will be the best quality ones your body will choose anyway.

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

September 28th, 2011, 9:11 pm #10

With family and I'm considering a martini tonight... but don't want to mess up my next egg... it's just all too much though ladies - I deserve a drink! What do you think?????? I should make this decision on my own, I know, but anyone have any thought about this? Maybe wine is better because there is some redeeming qualities??
It's been said many times on this board before -

Women that have a drunken night with their partner/DH/friend/bar pal end up pregnant all the time...with healthy babies. Heck, women that drink during the early weeks of their pregnancy, because they don't know they are pregnant, deliver healthy children.

Have a martini and have some fun! You've earned it, BD. One drink won't hurt a thing.

(I am so very sorry about your egg. We had a similar experience with our 1 egg retrieved, it was polyspermia. It is heart breaking. Big hugs to you.)

Confirmation of reply: