Mini-IVF

Mini-IVF

February 5th, 2012, 4:19 am #1

Hi Ladies,
I am new on this board. In 2010 my husband and I gave our everything into TTC. We had insurance to cover IVF and started 5 cycles. We were cancelled twice. Transferred one 8-cell embryo twice and three embryos our last cycle. I am considering mini-IVF or donor eggs at this juncture. I learned about mini-IVF about 6 months ago and have been interested. Does anyone have any experience with Infertility center of st.louis? I am in Chicago and this is the closest center I can find that does mini-IVF. Anyone know of other places in the Midwest?

February 5th, 2012, 4:46 pm #2

and not suitable if you hope or expect to have a live birth with anything short of 6 cycles. I talked to mini-IVF clinics on both coasts, and almost all their 40+ crowd, with extremely rare exceptions, have their OE live birth after many cycles (think 6-12).

So I am not sure if this is the path you want to pursue. It is not an easy path, but a more steady, predictable path than gambling on one or two full IVF cycles. Most likely, if you are able to commit embryo banking for at least a year, you have a decent chance. Still, you may be banking for two years with nothing in your hand. It is not a magic pill.

Search Dr. Silberman on this site and there are some negative feedback. His IVF center is not a mini-IVF powerhouse either, he affiliates himself with mini-IVF powerhouses on east and west coast, and for embryo banking purposes, it's too much of a jog for you every month. Given your locale, you may have a better shot at utilizing your insurance for medium stim cycles (300 FSH or below).

February 5th, 2012, 7:58 pm #3

I never did mini-IVF myself though so I can't say for sure. I did two high stim cycles at age 43 and got a small amount of embryos each time, four and two with one chemical pregnancy and then moved on to DE and got pregnant the first fresh cycle.

If you have lots of money to spend and you really want to use your OE then you could try the mini IVF or medium stim as MIR suggested. You could try it at least once and see how it goes. But if you really want a baby now and are emotionally able to move on with DE then I would suggest you just go that route. But if you have the money to spend and are willing to gamble and try for many months then give it a shot before moving on to DE.

I hate that finances plays such a big part in these decisions.

February 5th, 2012, 10:47 pm #4

My one-year banking cost is less than 3 cycles of full blown IVF. Not only that, if there is a cycle in which I have no eggs to retrieve at all, I only pay $450, unlike conventional, the sunk cost of monitor and meds is too high, even if you cancel the retrieval, the up front cost is easily $5K down the drain. It is really about how one allocates the dollars, some may gamble 2-3 cycles, some may choose to bank 12 months, and the cost will come out to be the same.

But the recent price hike makes the whole proposition of mini-IVF very unattractive.

Jamie
Jamie

February 6th, 2012, 3:28 am #5

MIR, it sounds like you are in the middle of this. May I ask how it is going? How many months have you done it, and how many embryos have you been able to bank? I take it that all embryos are cultured to day 5, correct? I find this so interesting and am just wondering, if you feel like disclosing.

anon
anon

February 6th, 2012, 4:13 am #6

Hi Ladies,
I am new on this board. In 2010 my husband and I gave our everything into TTC. We had insurance to cover IVF and started 5 cycles. We were cancelled twice. Transferred one 8-cell embryo twice and three embryos our last cycle. I am considering mini-IVF or donor eggs at this juncture. I learned about mini-IVF about 6 months ago and have been interested. Does anyone have any experience with Infertility center of st.louis? I am in Chicago and this is the closest center I can find that does mini-IVF. Anyone know of other places in the Midwest?
I am sorry to be anon for this. But I had a bad experience with Dr. Silber giving me terrible misinformation and another woman who was on this board who I emailed with privately also had a bad experience with him, but never posted about it on the board.

His donor egg statistics were really low, a few years back - and donor eggs should be successful a high percentage of the time. He has a big name and reputation but I would say avoid him like the plague.

mini-ivf could be a good thing but the problem is where do you go and where is it affordable right now - I don't know, but it does seem like a good option for some people.

February 6th, 2012, 5:31 am #7

MIR, it sounds like you are in the middle of this. May I ask how it is going? How many months have you done it, and how many embryos have you been able to bank? I take it that all embryos are cultured to day 5, correct? I find this so interesting and am just wondering, if you feel like disclosing.
I will report after I have done it a few cycles along. Thanks for the tips on CoQ10, I took it a few months ago, but I guess the dosage was not enough (300mg only) so I didn't see any difference. I started on higher dose a month ago, so we will see how that goes.

Jamie
Jamie

February 6th, 2012, 5:57 am #8

thanks for the info, wishing you the very best of luck! n/t

alima
alima

February 7th, 2012, 5:29 am #9

I will report after I have done it a few cycles along. Thanks for the tips on CoQ10, I took it a few months ago, but I guess the dosage was not enough (300mg only) so I didn't see any difference. I started on higher dose a month ago, so we will see how that goes.
are you doing clomid, or injectibles for your mini-ivf? It is great that you only have to pay so little if they don't get an egg. I think with Zhang it was $1000 if they didn't get an egg. And with other centers, you lose the entire amount if they don't retrieve an egg.

Confirmation of reply: