Just cancelled my latest cycle

Just cancelled my latest cycle

July 14th, 2012, 6:15 pm #1

I only had 4 follicles at baseline on CD4 (down from 6 the previous month, and my usual 7-8 before that), and 5 on CD8, but 2 were slightly in the lead and the doctor thought we'd only be able to retrieve 2 eggs this cycle. Since I've been trying to freeze blasts and am paying for everything out of pocket, I didn't like those odds, and he agreed that even if this AFC of 4 is going to be my new normal from now on--which I really hope not, but is totally possible--it's unlikely that I would do WORSE than this any time in the near future, so canceling seemed like the right choice. One thing we both thought might have been helpful this time would have been to do a baseline on CD2 instead of CD4 and start meds a couple of days earlier, so I'm going to do that next time. I'm a little disappointed that this cycle didn't work out and that I'm going to probably have to cancel my August vacation now, but mostly I'm just waiting to see what my baseline AFC looks like going forward. Obviously I'm hoping that it will come back up and my estrogen will drop again after another month off, but we shall see!

July 14th, 2012, 8:19 pm #2

Di,

I'm so sorry this month didn't pan out for you. In all likelihood, your lower AFC is just a fluke and things will be back to normal in August.

I hate it that you may have to cancel your vacation plans, though -- that would really irk me! Maybe you can squeeze in a shorter mini-trip for yourself sometime soon? Vacations are important, especially with all the sacrifices we make for IF treatment.

I find unforeseen treatment detours like this to be one of the harder aspects of this whole IF experience. The stress & worry, the readjusting of the plans. These things seem to really get to me more and more over time.

I am rooting for your success in the long run. Keep you're chin up and stay strong!!

MIR
MIR

July 14th, 2012, 9:54 pm #3

I only had 4 follicles at baseline on CD4 (down from 6 the previous month, and my usual 7-8 before that), and 5 on CD8, but 2 were slightly in the lead and the doctor thought we'd only be able to retrieve 2 eggs this cycle. Since I've been trying to freeze blasts and am paying for everything out of pocket, I didn't like those odds, and he agreed that even if this AFC of 4 is going to be my new normal from now on--which I really hope not, but is totally possible--it's unlikely that I would do WORSE than this any time in the near future, so canceling seemed like the right choice. One thing we both thought might have been helpful this time would have been to do a baseline on CD2 instead of CD4 and start meds a couple of days earlier, so I'm going to do that next time. I'm a little disappointed that this cycle didn't work out and that I'm going to probably have to cancel my August vacation now, but mostly I'm just waiting to see what my baseline AFC looks like going forward. Obviously I'm hoping that it will come back up and my estrogen will drop again after another month off, but we shall see!
I ovulated early last cycle for my two promising follicles, and the only small one retrieved stopped growing at early blast stage. I am confident if I had retrieved the other two, at least one of them would have made blast.

This month I have a big cyst, so I am doing natural IVF cycle since stim won't work anyway. My OB actually said to me that my ovaries needed a break for a month since she is doing out of town monitor for me all this time and knows all my cycles intimately. She even says, I guarantee that your ovaries will go back to becoming a blast machine once you give them proper rest. She assured me that for our age group, taking a month or two in series of ongoing stim cycles is beneficial rather than detrimental because we "lose a month".

I believe that after a proper rest, you will be back on the saddle again. I have seen AFC picking up even at AMA. This is a game of persistence and patience, we will all get there.

July 15th, 2012, 7:49 pm #4

Di,

I'm so sorry this month didn't pan out for you. In all likelihood, your lower AFC is just a fluke and things will be back to normal in August.

I hate it that you may have to cancel your vacation plans, though -- that would really irk me! Maybe you can squeeze in a shorter mini-trip for yourself sometime soon? Vacations are important, especially with all the sacrifices we make for IF treatment.

I find unforeseen treatment detours like this to be one of the harder aspects of this whole IF experience. The stress & worry, the readjusting of the plans. These things seem to really get to me more and more over time.

I am rooting for your success in the long run. Keep you're chin up and stay strong!!

Thank you! And, yes, one of the things I hate the most is never being able to plan my life--from lunch dates to trips out of town to bigger things like if/when I should start thinking about moving to a new apartment, etc.--because I never know if I'll be cycling/pregnant/successful or not. But that's a good idea about scheduling another mini-vacation... it never occurs to me to do that because I'm always like, oh, at least now I can stay here and try to get more work done. Hope all is going well with you!

July 15th, 2012, 8:12 pm #5

I ovulated early last cycle for my two promising follicles, and the only small one retrieved stopped growing at early blast stage. I am confident if I had retrieved the other two, at least one of them would have made blast.

This month I have a big cyst, so I am doing natural IVF cycle since stim won't work anyway. My OB actually said to me that my ovaries needed a break for a month since she is doing out of town monitor for me all this time and knows all my cycles intimately. She even says, I guarantee that your ovaries will go back to becoming a blast machine once you give them proper rest. She assured me that for our age group, taking a month or two in series of ongoing stim cycles is beneficial rather than detrimental because we "lose a month".

I believe that after a proper rest, you will be back on the saddle again. I have seen AFC picking up even at AMA. This is a game of persistence and patience, we will all get there.
Thanks, and I hope you're right. As far as making a blasts with only 2 eggs retrieved, I know many women do so, but I've personally never gotten a blast to freeze from a cycle in which they retrieved less than 4 eggs and 3 fertilized, so I don't feel that confident that it will be possible for ME. But it's been very encouraging to see that it's possible for you to make a blast most months with fewer eggs retrieved! Especially since if my AFC doesn't come back up, I'll have no choice but to go ahead to retrieval with fewer eggs from now on. I just feel incredibly lucky that I've been able to successfully bank as much as I have before this happened.

And while I pray that this lowered AFC won't be permanent, I already took 2 months off before this cycle so I'm not sure more time off will change anything. I went in for a baseline 2 weeks after my last retrieval and had just a couple of follicles and a cyst and was still having bladder problems and pain in my ovaries from the messed up retrieval, so I came back a month after that and had 6 follicles, but wanted to take another month off to fully heal...which brings us to this cycle, when I only had 4 follicles.

If I'd followed my previous pattern, after 6 weeks off I should have been back up to 8 rather than 6, but I figured my body was still recovering from the trauma of whatever went wrong during the retrieval and that I'd be back up to my usual AFC this month. But then instead of it climbing back up to 8 after 6 weeks, it went down to 4 after 10 weeks. So it could be that I just had an idiosyncratic bad month this month, or it could be this decreased AFC is what I'm going to have from now on. Obviously I really hope it was the former, but time will tell. In the meantime I'm going to make some acupuncture appointments and otherwise try not to dwell on the situation for the next 2-3 weeks. As always, I really appreciate all your support!

Jamie
Jamie

July 15th, 2012, 8:46 pm #6

Sometimes letting your ovaries rest and recharge can give you the best outcome . . . wishing you the best!

BabyDance
BabyDance

July 16th, 2012, 3:14 pm #7

But, it sounds like you did the right thing. It should come back up - or even if it doesn't, you still should get another cycle where there is likely to be more eggs. I hardly had anything for a few months, and this month I've got 3 (good for me), so it does come back (but I've been taking DHEA too, but not so sure that's the reason). I do think the meds where us out and rest is necessary. Keep us posted. xo

July 16th, 2012, 4:53 pm #8

Sometimes letting your ovaries rest and recharge can give you the best outcome . . . wishing you the best!
Thanks! nt

July 16th, 2012, 4:55 pm #9

But, it sounds like you did the right thing. It should come back up - or even if it doesn't, you still should get another cycle where there is likely to be more eggs. I hardly had anything for a few months, and this month I've got 3 (good for me), so it does come back (but I've been taking DHEA too, but not so sure that's the reason). I do think the meds where us out and rest is necessary. Keep us posted. xo
Thank you, and also YAY for your having 3 eggs this month! Fingers crossed that you get a positive outcome.

BabyDance
BabyDance

July 16th, 2012, 5:28 pm #10

That would be "wear", not "where" and thanks! I hope I get a blast or two.

Confirmation of reply: