June cycle results = no CGH normal

June cycle results = no CGH normal

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

June 18th, 2012, 8:03 pm #1

Dear sweet ladies,

If you recall from my previos posting of May 7, I currently have one CGH normal blast and one inconclusive blast vitrified from banking cycles w/ Dr. T.

After much debate, I decided to do another collection cycle this month in search of another normal before moving forward w/depot lupron lining treatment & FET. FYI: The doc has quoted 40% success rate per CGH normal embie for ladies my age. Now I am 44 & 2 months old, so time is of the essence.

This June cycle (same protocol of saizen + lowish stim antagonist.) was initially looking very promising with 12 follicles in the running, 10 eggs retrieved, but the 4 embies that achieved growth parameters for biopsy were found to be abnormal (& discarded). Two additional embies were too slow-growing to be biopsied, but the are being watched in the lab & I'll find out on Wednesday if those make it to blast/freeze. They're "grade 1" (little to no frag), so you never know.

Curiously, my fert rate this cycle was only 60%, compared to 100% for the previous two cycles on the same protocol.

So again I'm at a crossroads. Should I keep retrieving, since I'm responding well to stims (plenty quality embies, though not necessarily genetically competant)? It's a crap shoot.

Maybe I'm just feeling down from the test results, but additional cycles seem like overkill right now.

Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom are most welcome! Thanks so much for your support.

anne
anne

June 18th, 2012, 8:46 pm #2

i don't know what to tell you but i am sorry you didn't get a good yield this time round. if it were me, i would probably go for quantity because you don't know when 1 good one will appear. your response was pretty good, i would give it another go and then perhaps move on.

Jamie
Jamie

June 18th, 2012, 10:47 pm #3

Dear sweet ladies,

If you recall from my previos posting of May 7, I currently have one CGH normal blast and one inconclusive blast vitrified from banking cycles w/ Dr. T.

After much debate, I decided to do another collection cycle this month in search of another normal before moving forward w/depot lupron lining treatment & FET. FYI: The doc has quoted 40% success rate per CGH normal embie for ladies my age. Now I am 44 & 2 months old, so time is of the essence.

This June cycle (same protocol of saizen + lowish stim antagonist.) was initially looking very promising with 12 follicles in the running, 10 eggs retrieved, but the 4 embies that achieved growth parameters for biopsy were found to be abnormal (& discarded). Two additional embies were too slow-growing to be biopsied, but the are being watched in the lab & I'll find out on Wednesday if those make it to blast/freeze. They're "grade 1" (little to no frag), so you never know.

Curiously, my fert rate this cycle was only 60%, compared to 100% for the previous two cycles on the same protocol.

So again I'm at a crossroads. Should I keep retrieving, since I'm responding well to stims (plenty quality embies, though not necessarily genetically competant)? It's a crap shoot.

Maybe I'm just feeling down from the test results, but additional cycles seem like overkill right now.

Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom are most welcome! Thanks so much for your support.
It's tough. I think if you would not miss the money, go ahead and cycle 1-2 more times because you never know. However, if it's a financial strain . . .

Hugs and hoping for the best for you.

snowbank03
snowbank03

June 19th, 2012, 12:45 am #4

Did you read the Kato results below? Food for thought.

June 19th, 2012, 3:24 am #5

Dear sweet ladies,

go for another couple rounds to bank another normal blast.

You have really come so far along, and if you stop here and don't get pregnant with the normal blast, I am not sure you can psychologically pick up cycling again. While you are at it, do your best (without breaking the bank). You are VERY VERY CLOSE, move an inch ahead and close the deal, girl!

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

June 19th, 2012, 1:29 pm #6

Dear sweet ladies,

I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. I will think on it a little more, but you are right. I'm very close . . .

I'll keep going another cycle or two this summer. Finding another normal could really make all the difference. It's not a financial burden. I just hate how looooong this is taking, and I' was starting to feel like a crazy person.

Thanks for talking me down!

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 19th, 2012, 1:31 pm #7

go for another couple rounds to bank another normal blast.

You have really come so far along, and if you stop here and don't get pregnant with the normal blast, I am not sure you can psychologically pick up cycling again. While you are at it, do your best (without breaking the bank). You are VERY VERY CLOSE, move an inch ahead and close the deal, girl!
You are a wise woman, MIR!! Thanks so much for your support. I really needed that

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

June 19th, 2012, 1:40 pm #8

Above was fom me

June 19th, 2012, 10:16 pm #9

I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. I will think on it a little more, but you are right. I'm very close . . .

I'll keep going another cycle or two this summer. Finding another normal could really make all the difference. It's not a financial burden. I just hate how looooong this is taking, and I' was starting to feel like a crazy person.

Thanks for talking me down!
A friend of my mini-IVF cycle buddy at New Hope did banking from 43-45 (pretty much your age). NHFC back then didn't offer genetic testing for AMAs, so she just banked and banked and banked. She started transfer at 46, and after going through NINE blasts (and multiple miscarriages), she found success at 48.

Your age is very similar to hers and so is your fertility profile, from what I read. The good thing is you've already found a normal. The next normal is a backup. I think she was able to accomplish it because she just kept at it, because once you break the momentum, it is very hard for people of our age to gather all that drive and energy to move ahead any more.

Sometimes I feel a bit tired, and impatient because this whole thing is going to take so long. But during my down moments, I always think about that lady that persisted till she was 48, and I feel energized all over again.

TenaciousB
TenaciousB

June 20th, 2012, 3:02 pm #10

Thanks so much for sharing this story. It really is inspirational!!

Confirmation of reply: